Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put a K20a3 in a VW Bug. I can get an adapter plate and flywheel from KEP. I have a couple questions -

is the flywheel on the k24 the same as the k20? KEP has the adapter kit listed for the k24 and they weren't sure if the flywheel would match up to the k20.

Can anything be done to increase the power output in the a3? Can I add a turbo later on? I know the a2 has a lot more power, but I don't want to spend that much on the engine alone.

·
duct tape and zip ties
9,166 Posts
Its worth spending the little more amount of money on a A2/Z1 engine than to mess with a A3 engine. in the end you will be kicking yourself in the but wishing you put a real 3 lobe engine in it.
I was wondering about the same on the fly.
vtec killer cam setup, and a turbo will be the things you can do to the a3 without swapping the rotating assy out. crank, pistons and rods are different from the others.

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
Forget the transaxle altogether. Place the motor in an east/west configuration where the back seat area is and run the K-series transmission. VW's don't look too nice with a huge hunk of motor hanging out over the rear bumper to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about doing the trans too, but then that leaves axles, hubs, etc to figure out. I saw they make a piece for minis, but I don't want to get into that because of the money. I have some fabrication skills that if someone has an idea I can run with it basically.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
How does using a VW transaxle avoid dealing with axles and hubs, unless you're using stock VW parts? If you do, it means living with whatever the default track width is, and unless you're really lucky, the wheels will either rub on the inner fenders or stick out of the fenders way too far. It also means living with wide-5 wheel studs, I think.

·
trial user
12,673 Posts
I thought about doing the trans too, but then that leaves axles, hubs, etc to figure out. I saw they make a piece for minis, but I don't want to get into that because of the money. I have some fabrication skills that if someone has an idea I can run with it basically.
Looks like you are in an uncomfortable place. You do not want to spend the money for a prefabricated peice you only begrudgingly wish to "figure it out" and though you have some fabrication skills they aren't first on the list to employ. I would find a new perspective to ponder this series of solutions. I would suggest you clear out the entire rear of the VW so you know what you are working with. Find the strong points/weaknesses for making a torque box that will keep the chassis from flexing. Use boxes with reference points as a mock up motor/trans unit to find where to center the engine. Measure the axle lengths to see where it will place your wheelset. Find the best rotor and caliper locations and fab up a mounting point. Make a build thread and ask plenty of questions. :up::up:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am looking to put a K20a3 in a VW Bug. I can get an adapter plate and flywheel from KEP. I have a couple questions -

is the flywheel on the k24 the same as the k20? KEP has the adapter kit listed for the k24 and they weren't sure if the flywheel would match up to the k20.

Can anything be done to increase the power output in the a3? Can I add a turbo later on? I know the a2 has a lot more power, but I don't want to spend that much on the engine alone.
If you get the KEP kit it will work for both as the only thing that matters is the bolt pattern. K20's and K24 flywheel bolt patterns are the same.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Deff in for this Subscribed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the modified classic vw industry and there's alot of different drivetrain options out there. You can do swing axle type 1 or bus box tranny with stock length axles, 3" shorter or 5" shorter axles also narrowing the torsion housing 3" or 5" each side depending on what size tire you want to run. Fitting a 8" or 10" wide tire under a stock fender is no problem. For trannys, Rancho Performance Transaxles or Dave Folts can build a bomb proof box. We have built cars that produce over 1000hp and not have one tranny granade. Check out the link. ronlummusracing.com These cars have come a long way. A k in a bug with 500hp. Fun stuff and reliable .:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone is curious about the k20 bug install I have started making you tube videos explaining the entire process. You can check it out here

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anyone is curious about the k20 bug install I have started making you tube videos explaining the entire process. You can check it out here

It’s funny that I ran across your post, in currently doing the same swap. The question I have is are you relying on the adapter plate / tranny to support the engine or have you customized engine mounts. If engine mounts i would love to see how you incorporate them

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s funny that I ran across your post, in currently doing the same swap. The question I have is are you relying on the adapter plate / tranny to support the engine or have you customized engine mounts. If engine mounts i would love to see how you incorporate them
If you go to my YouTube page "goturbohonda" we show it in one of our videos..i think it's called upgraded the roll cage..we welded a bar across to roll cage to bolt into the block

1 - 20 of 21 Posts