Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 RSX Type S and I plan on swapping a K20A into it to but i'm concerned with whether I absolutely need to get the motor from the DC5-R or if I could put the CL7-R motor in. Only reason i'd rather get the CL7 K20A motor is because it is siginificantly cheaper than the DC5's K20A. What are the differences between the two (if any) and would I be able to continue using my PRB ECU with K-Pro v4 with either of these engines? I plan on keeping my RSX-S transmission as well as everything except for the K20A2 itself. Any help is welcome/appreciated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cl7 has a deeper sump and longer oil pickup to match. Also has balance shafts in the oil pump. Cl7 head has the integrated coolant port on its stock rbc inlet manifold. There may be some sensor differences but i think you could easily sort them to match your ecu.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
In this day it makes more sense to pick up another longblock like you are doing and keep the K20a2 as a backup engine. Though there are not many differences between the K20a2 vs. the K20aR engine except the crankpulley, 11.5 compression pistons, PRC intake manifold, and slightly better PRC cams. The extra 20HP comes from these upgrades and the fact the K20aR comes with a much better OEM header design. Which explains why the K20z1 is 10hp less than the K20z1 comes with PRC cams. Another thing the K20aR leaves the factory with the connecting rods hand TQ'd.

I was going to go a similar route like you buying the K20aR or CL7 K20a but in the end it was cheaper to refresh the K20a2 with Z1 PRC cams, Mugen headgasket, RBC intake manifold, K20aR flywheel, PRC crank pulley, Exedy clutch, new oil pump, new water pump, new timing chain assembly, oil chain assembly, new OEM valvetrain, and many other parts like new sensors. If you do not want to service the K20a2 it is easier to buy the K20aR or CL7 engine and be done with it. It starts to get really expensive when taking the block apart rebuilding and machine shop labor costs.

I wish you the best of luck with your build. Keep in mind if you can't puck up the new longblock, shipping costs. If the new longblock has a short warranty from the seller, they most times require you to replace the water pump, timing chain assembly, and a few other parts in order to get the warranty. Their reasoning will be the engine has been sitting for a period of time and the engine's parts are aged. I know this because I called hmotorsonline and that was their story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cl7 has a deeper sump and longer oil pickup to match. Also has balance shafts in the oil pump. Cl7 head has the integrated coolant port on its stock rbc inlet manifold. There may be some sensor differences but i think you could easily sort them to match your ecu.
thank you. would you happen to know if i'd be able to reuse my type s transmission without modification?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts