Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My K20a out of my JDM Intera type r DC5 has just snapped a conrod and has made a mess out of the block and crankcases.

Question: what are the differences between this k20a and a k20a2 out of a europian ep3 civic type r? I know there are differences but basically im wondering if i can just build a k20a from the short engine of a k20a2??

Any help would be great :up:

·
Registered
186 Posts
As best I can recall the only real differences are slightly more agressive cams and higher compression pistons in the K20a. I know they use the same block, same crank and I think they use the same connecting rods and even the same head casting but I'm not positive about those last two.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information, so how do they get the different compression ratios? Is it through different head gaskets or pistons or both? My cylinder head is fine so was going to transplant it straight onto the k20a2 block with the original k20a cams in.

Any additional information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Different intake manifold, cams, headers (oem), Compression 11.5:1 Vs k20a2 11.0:1 and I believe that all Type-R motors are hand built.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The Kseries TypeR engines are NOT hand assembled like was necessary with the old school Bseries to get the additional performance from the factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so I can build my motor with my Head and cams, will now just get a set of forged pistons and rods, a k20a2 block and crank case?

I have the intake cus all my bits are from my k20a and the header is a toda race manifold.

has any one heard of a standard k20a doing a rod before? It had a cold air intake, Kpro ecu and buddyclub pro spec system?? And the rev limiter is still set at standard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just finished stripping the engine and all signs point to the piston giving way before the rod got snapped off by the liner, ive seen this in 200 ton marine diesels but never a standard honda engine lol:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear All,

im trying to source parts for a Honda Accord Euro R (K20A engine) from the US, particularly ebay. I'm looking for a set of headers and CAI, but the only parts that i can find are from the Acura RSX (K20A2 engine). Now the big question which comes to my mind is that can headers of the K20A2 and CAI fit the K20A engine? Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Dear All,

im trying to source parts for a Honda Accord Euro R (K20A engine) from the US, particularly ebay. I'm looking for a set of headers and CAI, but the only parts that i can find are from the Acura RSX (K20A2 engine). Now the big question which comes to my mind is that can headers of the K20A2 and CAI fit the K20A engine? Thanks a lot guys
Yes, both will fit. The difference between those two motors is the internals and intake manifold. The headers and CAI will go on just fine man.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, both will fit. The difference between those two motors is the internals and intake manifold. The headers and CAI will go on just fine man.
Thanks for the info :), just wanted to clarify would placement be an issue when it came to both items? since i guess both engine bays would not be identical (i.e. the accord euro R and the Acura RSX)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the info :), just wanted to clarify would placement be an issue when it came to both items? since i guess both engine bays would not be identical (i.e. the accord euro R and the Acura RSX)
Interesting question. But since it is essentially the same motor it will mount in a very similar location and have similar exhaust flow requirements then I suspect strongly that they will fit, but do not know for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting question. But since it is essentially the same motor it will mount in a very similar location and have similar exhaust flow requirements then I suspect strongly that they will fit, but do not know for sure.
while at the topic, the Acura Tsx has the same body/shape as the Accord Euro R. The only difference between both is the engine...would a CAI compatible with the K24(Acura TSX) fit onto the K20A? thank you for baring with me lol :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
while at the topic, the Acura Tsx has the same body/shape as the Accord Euro R. The only difference between both is the engine...would a CAI compatible with the K24(Acura TSX) fit onto the K20A? thank you for baring with me lol :)
I'm going to say that they will. The only external dimensional difference between the motors is that the K24 is 19.7mm taller and I am sure there is enough adjustability and clearance in a CAI that they will interchange.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts