Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today I ran my K20A-2 up with my K20A-R head on it. The head has Crower stage 2's, crower valves, crower retainers and springs. it is slightly ported and has 52mm TWM ITB's on..
You may look at it and think its the same graph from my K20A but its not they are different today during tuning we managed to make more power from the K20A-2 than we had made with the K20A, but that is mainly due to tuning time etc..

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
Great numbers!! Gary, when will your K20A-R block be ready??? It's going to be sleeved with 12:5:1 CP right????? When you say your head is slightly ported, is it just on the intake and exhaust side???

Also gary, do you think with the higher compression from your K20A-R block and IF you ported your head fully, that you will have 300whp???

If you had to do it all over again would you have started out with the K20A2 instead of the K20A-R????(reason asking there is a $2500 difference between them).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get the K20A-2 and K20A for almost te same price maybe 500 difference which is easily gained back when you part the motor out. cams, intakes, etc.
So a K20A-R is a cheap starting point for me.. the head was slightly ported on the intake side to match the ITB's but was more aggresively ported on the exhaust side to flow the air, the porting was done in about 8hrs by hand so it is very good quality, sorry no pic's or flow charts yet, they will be later in the year.
As for the block there is a pus at the moment to try and get the motor finished by the end of june for many reason, and yes it is getting sleeved and running CP pistons and Crower rods. I will probably be also making the change to a Hondata K-Pro due to a few minor tuning issues I have at the moment.

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
So are you looking at 300whp when the K20A-R block is done????

Also gary, when you got the crower stage 2/3 cams were the IPS-K2's out yet??? Reason asking I want to know why you chose the crower's over the IPS-K2 cams.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I choose crower over the IPS-K2's for one simple reason, Crower makes more than one type of cam and makes all the valves, springs etc. I didnt want to be stuck with the factory rev limit and un-sure of which valve combo to go with in order to excede it.
With the crower combo it has been researched to run 10,000rpm and since thats where I want to run it made sense to run a cam and valve combo that could do it.
I know that the crower stage 2 makes power to around 10,000rpm. But was unsure about the IPS cams I'm sure they can make the power aswell, but its a small company with a small product range.

As for the new motor personally I would like to see 320whp but that may or may not happen, all I really want is a reliable 10 second N/A with a mtor that will live a season and possibly live being put into a street car aswell..

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
non vtec said:
I choose crower over the IPS-K2's for one simple reason, Crower makes more than one type of cam and makes all the valves, springs etc. I didnt want to be stuck with the factory rev limit and un-sure of which valve combo to go with in order to excede it.
With the crower combo it has been researched to run 10,000rpm and since thats where I want to run it made sense to run a cam and valve combo that could do it.
I know that the crower stage 2 makes power to around 10,000rpm. But was unsure about the IPS cams I'm sure they can make the power aswell, but its a small company with a small product range.

As for the new motor personally I would like to see 320whp but that may or may not happen, all I really want is a reliable 10 second N/A with a mtor that will live a season and possibly live being put into a street car aswell..
Makes sense :up:

·
Registered
245 Posts
What gets me about the JDM K20A is that it's 11.5:1 stock. Doesn't seem that long ago that anything much over 10:1 in a road car was serious business. Okay, I'm old...

Hey Gary, did you consider putting the pistons from the R into the A2?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Non Vtec, you mentioned that in this dyno run you are using stage 2 crower cams. Thus, these are different cams from your previous dyno run which was the stage 2 3/4. Correct? If so which one do you think is better? (for drag racing application) thanks and more power to you!

·
Registered
593 Posts
non vtec said:

Gary, I think you may experience something akin to your first engine management solution. After certifying the valve motion and harmonics of the Eibach valve spring application for the K20A(2) - we are now Master WD for Eibach EVS. The spring is the exact part used in the Real Time Racing engine program (SCCA World Challenge) and they tailor their own CNC Ti retainers for the rpm range they wish to make. Analysis yields 10,000rpm potential at the correct installed height.

If you're going to justify to people why you're doing things - be honest and leave out the fluff. If you're sponsored in whole or in part - state that along with your post. It's very simple, does not alienate anyone and is quite satisfactory as-is to the casual poster's inquiry. My request is that you would please refrain from comments, intentional or not, which may serve to belittle our company in the process.

Good luck with this race season, and when you finally switch over to K-Pro you'll be able to improve area under the cuve.

-Ron

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry Ron I didnt mean it the way you took it I guess.
All I was meaning was that the information that you and the IPS team have released in the past 3 months wasn't available at the time I purchased the Crower gear. Had it all have been it may have made my decision alot harder.

I dont in any way wish you ill, hell you guys are pushing the K-series boundaries harder than anyone and your releasing the info, to me that means alot. I can probably say the next motor I build after this one will have alot more variety of parts in it just based on some of the info you have released. Honestly I hope you continue to succeed, I remember how Hondata started it was much the same way as you have.

But in my defense I gave an honest answer to an honest question , it was the reason why I choose the Crower combo over the IPS cams. Its was based on the information available on the products.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey no worries, just try to remember that you're a high profile individual and that your posts don't go unnoticed. That said, your opinions have strong influence. You may or may not care about who's reading - but for the casual lurkers that don't post, they may be susceptible to preconceived notions which may be incomplete, obsolete or even untrue. Lastly, there's nothing wrong with stating any sponsorships in your reply. If Nikos got IPS cams instead, you'd be rocking our cams right now. No big deal. You're a racer and you take what you can get. Just keep it real.

Being a small company that is dedicated and highly focused has its advantages. Case in point, you drew parallel to Hondata. Someday, I wish our company will attain the same level of success by working hard at providing the products and services we specialize in.

-Ron

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you are right about the cams, If I had IPS cams I would be supporting you guys the way I support Crower, who knows maybe oneday I may even change. Crower have given me a good deal on the parts I currently run and on some other parts I will be running so I will be supporting them for now..

As for my profile I guess I forget about it to much sometimes, I forget that I do actually have one of the faster K20A powered cars around, its hard to accept that sort of thing when you come from a small town in a small country.

-Gary

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
Gary, with the K-pro do you think you would make more power than your current Programmable ECU?????

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont know if we will see huge top end gains but I beleive-know we will see mid-range gains. I have spent alot of time playing with cam settings with my cam gears to find an optimum setting for top end power. at this stage we have been unable to find any more power above 7500rpm with cam position. although I have an issue with ignition timing in my motor at the moment..

Gary

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.