Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great, this will change the game a bit :D. Is it already on the way?

We would have been poor in our heart without related passion, dreams are like our power supply. For yours I think to get it more clear you have to define budget, aims and timeframe to work out the sculpture below.

It is not allowed in Singapore anymore?
It was never ever allowed :coleman:

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,684 Posts
They lnow how to measure deck height, and look at dip stick... so. Dun think it’s possible now....
Mmmmhhhh...19 mm can be measured by an dip stick. But is it precise enough if you have an lower oil pan? Do they really measure the block height? Otherwise if only 212.1 mm blocks allowed you can do a nice K20 turbo build.

BTW do you have in Singapore an assessment for the engine, like we have here in Europe for emissions, noise, and so on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mmmmhhhh...19 mm can be measured by an dip stick. But is it precise enough if you have an lower oil pan? Do they really measure the block height? Otherwise if only 212.1 mm blocks allowed you can do a nice K20 turbo build.

BTW do you have in Singapore an assessment for the engine, like we have here in Europe for emissions, noise, and so on?
Yep. Just compare dip stick with shorter ones.
Turbo also not safe.... yes full suite of assessment very stringent

Btw r u familar with toda a3 cams ? Would they be suitable for stock k20 type r engine? Especially for daily street drive?:)

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,684 Posts
Yep. Just compare dip stick with shorter ones.

Turbo also not safe.... yes full suite of assessment very stringent

Btw r u familar with toda a3 cams ? Would they be suitable for stock k20 type r engine? Especially for daily street drive?:)
Wow...sounds like even tougher than here.

TODA A3 is a very good choice for built 86x86 and does a great job in stock ones. You will sacrifice a bit down low in high speed cam because of the VTC limitation with 11:1 CR. A TODA A2 would do better there.

Gesendet von meinem HTC U11 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow...sounds like even tougher than here.

TODA A3 is a very good choice for built 86x86 and does a great job in stock ones. You will sacrifice a bit down low in high speed cam because of the VTC limitation with 11:1 CR. A TODA A2 would do better there.

Gesendet von meinem HTC U11 mit Tapatalk
Thanks. Built meaning high comp piston etc? Head port n polish?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,684 Posts
Thanks. Built meaning high comp piston etc? Head port n polish?
Good question...I had a 12:1 CR in mind only to adapt the different dynamic CR of the TODA A3 cam lobes. A better port flow isn't necessary for the A3 cams as they peak below 9000 rpm, depending on the IM you gonna use. If port flow is improved the win will be small in power as long as not all other components help to support a common VE aim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good question...I had a 12:1 CR in mind only to adapt the different dynamic CR of the TODA A3 cam lobes. A better port flow isn't necessary for the A3 cams as they peak below 9000 rpm, depending on the IM you gonna use. If port flow is improved the win will be small in power as long as not all other components help to support a common VE aim.
thanks!
I am still wondering what I should do if I do a rebuild.

would the bc stroker kit (BC0044) yeld a 2.35l engine on a k20 block?
how much do you need to bore the cylinders? seems to be 90mm based on the calculator online (http://performancetrends.com/Calculators/Engine-Displacement/Engine-Displacement.php)

at 90mm do i need to get the block sleeved?

I am currently at 265 crank with full toda system, and hybrid racing CAI
hopping to get 315 crank with such a setup

K20 block/head 2.35L - Includes 4340 billet crank, 92mm stroke w/B18A rod journals, H-beam LW rods (5.512 c-to-c), and custom pistons (choice of bore/compression).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Without sleeving you commonly don’t overbore more than 1mm, so 87mm.
Anything larger that should last, you need to sleeve.

A 87mmx92mm BC kit on Clockwise performance ITBs with 1mm oversized intake valves got to 300HP in the UK in a Elise. Dan Webster build and mapped that engine.
315HP at the crank will be challenge without increasing the bore beyond 87mm.

There was a chap here on k20a.org from France that fit a K24 crank in a K20 case. It needs some shaving on the inside of the block, but is doable.
Piston to wall clearance was too low, so it didn’t last. But boy, did it have torque.
He also posted some youtube videos.
Rod to stroke ratio is very low. Good for torque, not so good for longevity due to high side loads and rather high piston accleration figures if you want to rev that engine.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,684 Posts
A 87mmx92mm BC kit on Clockwise performance ITBs with 1mm oversized intake valves got to 300HP in the UK in a Elise...315HP at the crank will be challenge without increasing the bore beyond 87mm.
Yuup I agree with you, the 86x92 engine is challenging to push it to 300 [email protected] rpm, further increase of engine speed to 8800 rpm would be necessary. For 315 [email protected] rpm (27 m/s mean piston speed) one need indeed a very good setup, as this is a VE level of 1.14, which the aftermarket support don't let you achieve easily. This need specific development. Even with an 87x92 engine you would have challenges to reach the 315 [email protected] rpm as the VE level is still beyond 1.11...peaky cams sure will do it, but who want to have a peaky engine for an DD application?

If budget isn't your limitation in first order a 89x90.7 would be an easier approach, as you would reduce piston mean speed at 8800 rpm and the displacement would help to reach the 315 hp more easily. It is the much better engine concept than a 87x92 engine, just the small block is around 1500-2000 $ more for the sleeving. The F22C crank is more reliable then the BC billet stuff, as it is forged in OEM toolings with OEM quality checks. In addition the billet cranks has systematically not that strongness of forged ones (knocking shocks).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If budget isn't your limitation in first order a 89x90.7 would be an easier approach, as you would reduce piston mean speed at 8800 rpm and the displacement would help to reach the 315 hp more easily. It is the much better engine concept than a 87x92 engine, just the small block is around 1500-2000 $ more for the sleeving. The F22C crank is more reliable then the BC billet stuff, as it is forged in OEM toolings with OEM quality checks. In addition the billet cranks has systematically not that strongness of forged ones (knocking shocks).

yup Hydesg, i support LotusElise opinion on this

i wanted to do a f22c crank with 27mm pistons, keeping the stock rod length.
of course the BC kit is a ready-made option and no need to purchase everything else separately. the fact that it can rev high is also assuring.

maybe you can explore that option. 265hp on crank, about 240whp is pretty decent already!

honestly if i wasnt planning on family this 2019 i would have thrown the budget concern away and ordered up everything.

pistons can check out clockwisemotion, they have the 27mm pistons done by omega. looks dope

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Hi everybody!

It’s been about a year since my engine got built, about 8 months after dyno tuning.

My engine made 240whp on a single roller dyno (the one the giant roller hidden in the ground)

Toda A3 cams
RBC head
Mahle 87mm 12:5:1
Type r 86mm crank
No oil squirters tho.

Now a year along the road, I’ve gotten the itch again.

Besides some ideas about gearing,
I’ve a ported head (around 350cfm) coming in and wonder if I should stick with the A3 cams or upgrade.

Considering skunk2 tuner 2, 4piston RR3, blox C, dc elite endurance.

All around 260 duration and around 13.5mm of lift.
Being a daily, I’m also concerned about valvetrain/tct wear. Toda is convenient in that they use single springs and the metallurgy is great.

This is just me wondering if I’ve left horses on the table and whether the purchase/installation/tune of another set of cams is worth it.

Again, I seek the experience of people who’ve helped me so much
Lotus , LotusElise, BlackNDecker, K20actr.J
And anyone who has experience on a stout k20 build.

Thanks guys Markus , Marko

21 - 33 of 33 Posts