Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 1995 Civic Ex sedan with a B18C1, JDM ITR tranny, and a host of other mods/boltons. I was planning on tearing down the motor this winter and doing a complete rebuild with some CTR pistons, custom ITB's (from JDM Toyota 4AG 20V), Autronic and a slew of other things. But after finding this forum I have put all plans on hold.

I dont know if any of you guys have ABS/4 wheel discs, but my car came equipped with them. The ABS pump is right near the throttle body, so close that I have to use intake tubing for a CRX. After seeing how some of these K-motors line up in the engine bay, Im wondering if the K would fit. Can anyone give me feedback on this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
That certainly shouldn't stop you. That unit can be either moved, or REmoved entirely. Experienced drivers are actually capable of shorter braking distances without the aid of ABS. That enhances safety for the typical street driver who rarely take their cars to the edge of any particular envelope. Like anything though, if you practice at it, you WILL get better.

A little story just because.

I actually datalogged my friend with my GTECH RR a while back. We did some skidpad and brake testing. I asked him to tell me when the moment came he predicted his car would start to break away. As we approached .77-.80g's he said out loud, "it's about to push". At that point I said, well keep accelerating, lets see what it'll do. He ended up pulling just over 1g and the car still never broke away...his arms just got tired he said..lol. In addition the lot was damp from a rain earlier that day!

We then did some braking from 60mph and 70mph. Initially, he got on the brakes and was stopping in excess of 150ft. Then he went through some phases of lockup and could see in the datalog the immediate loss of distance as a result. Finally after about 10 attempts he was nailing under 120ft complete stops from 65mph.

Now this friend of mine about 6 months earlier had been very shaky because of a wreck he had. His car spun on the highway doing about 75mph and hit the jersey barrier. Ever since then he was apprehensive on the highway at speed. After we did these datalogs he was WAY more confident in the car. He pushed it much harder than before now that he really knew the feeling of what it could take. He still continues to do this stuff on occasion just to keep everything fresh.

Point is though, ABS is there to supplement drivers who never desire to become true drivers....they just want to get to the store and to Christmas dinner. ABS is a great thing, but if your desire is to take your driving to the next level then learn to modulate pedal pressure for maximum braking at the limit of the tires adhesion. Practice man, practice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not scared to drive without ABS, I didnt know the system could be moved. And I know the system really doesnt effect agressive driving situations but it does help when its raining and on slippery surfaces. But If i have to remove it, I wouldnt really care since I have 3 other cars (05 Honda Odyssey T, 02 S2000, 95 Legend GS 6MT. Thanks for your input.

Patrick

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am in the process of removing mine as we speak and only requires 4 brake lines and a brake proportion valve to convert it. The K20 will not fit with ABS I don't see a place for it to be moved to without spending a hell of alot of money relocating it and running almost 25-30 brake lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.