Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup guys... i was just wondering, is the k24 oilpan steel? or is it the same as the k20a2 oilpan? and also would a k24 oilpan fit on a k20a2? thanks

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
according to SCC article http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0406scc_hybrid/

Either of the oil pans will work, but the RSX Type-S part is cast aluminum vs. the K24's stamped-steel part. The cast pan is stiffer and braces the pan to the transmission bell housing, making it the better choice. You should also use the full-length windage tray from the K20A2, which will do a better job keeping the oil where it needs to be. The K24 uses a pair of balance shafts cleverly incorporated into the oil pump assembly ("pump holder set" in Honda-speak), but you don't need their extra weight or the friction required to turn them. Hasport recommends ditching the K24 oil pump assembly in favor of the simpler K20A2 part. The oil pump drive chain and tensioners are identical, so take your pick, or get a new one if in doubt about its condition.

The K20A2 oil pan (right) is cast aluminum for added stiffness and improved cooling. It also bolts to the transmission for added rigidity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
nikos said:
according to SCC article http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0406scc_hybrid/

Either of the oil pans will work, but the RSX Type-S part is cast aluminum vs. the K24's stamped-steel part. The cast pan is stiffer and braces the pan to the transmission bell housing, making it the better choice. You should also use the full-length windage tray from the K20A2, which will do a better job keeping the oil where it needs to be. The K24 uses a pair of balance shafts cleverly incorporated into the oil pump assembly ("pump holder set" in Honda-speak), but you don't need their extra weight or the friction required to turn them. Hasport recommends ditching the K24 oil pump assembly in favor of the simpler K20A2 part. The oil pump drive chain and tensioners are identical, so take your pick, or get a new one if in doubt about its condition.

The K20A2 oil pan (right) is cast aluminum for added stiffness and improved cooling. It also bolts to the transmission for added rigidity.
the k20a2 oilpan wont create clearence issues would it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
what oil pan is recommended with using the erl modified s2k oil pump on a k24a4 bottom end? I will be doing auto x and time attack. Is there a baffle set out yet for the k24 pan or can I use the tsx pan?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
i live in ny the k20a2 oil pan sux sits so low hit it once it cracks im on my 3rd oil pan bout to go wit the k24 pan.
Yeah same problem with me in Colorado :down:. I have a K24 pan but it doesnt fit, the oil pickup baffle thingy hits the bottom of the pan making stick up like 1/8 inch off the block. If they made a rubber gasket it would raise it up a little bit and should be ok. I just said screw it and put another K20 pan on til I can find a way to get the pan to fit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah same problem with me in Colorado :down:. I have a K24 pan but it doesnt fit, the oil pickup baffle thingy hits the bottom of the pan making stick up like 1/8 inch off the block. If they made a rubber gasket it would raise it up a little bit and should be ok. I just said screw it and put another K20 pan on til I can find a way to get the pan to fit.
what if you put like a thicker bead of silicone?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I tried that and when I went to tighten it down it just oozed out the sides. Maybe if you beaded it up and let it dry for a little bit, that might possibly work

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
little misinformation there nikos , the k24 and type s oil pump chains and the solid guide are definitely not the same.

edit: nm , just seen JDM covered this , lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.