Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Current in the process of building K series drag car...

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people on this site is building or would build a K20/24 full drag allmotor race car. I was just curious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote="brian g
All motor? Start with a K24 and stroke it.

brian g[/quote]

You stroke the K24A motor...I did some calulations and the K24A's rods ratio is already at 1.53:1. how worse can you get...Has anyone try to make this a taller deck than usual yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ChrisCNL said:
[quote="brian g
All motor? Start with a K24 and stroke it.

brian g
You stroke the K24A motor...I did some calulations and the K24A's rods ratio is already at 1.53:1. how worse can you get...Has anyone try to make this a taller deck than usual yet.[/quote]

alot of v8's that run all motor have even worst rod to stroke ratio worse then 1.53...just because u have a low rod/stroke ratio doesnt mean u cant rev high, just means ur motor is less reliable...if u have the money to build a "drag" car, i would think reliablity wouldnt be an issue. there are way more factors that go into building a stroked motor then rod/stroke ratio, if u build the motor out of sum exotic materials (ie, titanium/magnesium alloys) then stroking couldnt be that much of a problem...of coarse the problem again is ur bugdet; A high stroke motor would tend to brake faster, so its up to u to predict how many motors u want to go through to win a title. If ur building a street/drag car, i would suggest destroking the motor; a 2.3L redlining at 9000-10000 rpms is good enough for me...just my 2cents.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ill have to agree with Mr. B. Money generally isn't the issue for an all out drag car. But if your looking for drag performance with stock reliability perhaps the k20 is the best bet. The numbers theyre making with mild mods are getting pretty freaky!

Weve got two k24/20 swaps being built mostly for autox and some drag time. So basically weve decided to go "middle of the road" fairly cheap to build (well for what it is) and we expect some good numbers all around.

But to be honest we have no idea what numbers or reliability lay ahead.

·
Registered
599 Posts
ChrisCNL said:
You stroke the K24A motor...I did some calulations and the K24A's rods ratio is already at 1.53:1. how worse can you get...Has anyone try to make this a taller deck than usual yet.
Believe me, when you drive a car 1/4 at a time as fast as you can, considerations like ideal rod stroke ratio become secondary.

brian g

·
Registered
35 Posts
brian, the stroked k24 most likely would not be ideal for the street...correct? would it be possible to make it reliable enough for the streets?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
ninefivehatch said:
brian, the stroked k24 most likely would not be ideal for the street...correct? would it be possible to make it reliable enough for the streets?
It's the revolutions not the stroke. A stroked k24 is really overdoing it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you are talking about the rpm's correct c-zero? i guess what i am asking is if it would hold up to everyday driving with the occasional high rpm sprint?

·
Registered
599 Posts
ninefivehatch said:
You could probably make a K24 with a stroker crank OK with a deck plate, or if you babied it while driving - but why bother. A well put together K24A would be capable of plenty of HP and could be made to last awhile.

When I'm talking about an all motor stroked K24 engine, I'm talking about something that gets rebuilt somewhere between once a season and once a month depending. Not something you would drive to the track.

brian g

·
Registered
2 Posts
K24 bottom end K20A Type R top end W/ toda spec A cams, mugen valve springs, DC5 R pistons(If they fit, I'm not sure), and a Mugen head Gasket??????.. It'll probably put down more than 210 hp at the wheels...if it'll work.

·
Banned
320 Posts
ICEPUPPY said:
alrighty...but 210 is enough...it was just a theory...
Check here http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=913906

Edit: I owned page 2 and here's the dyno chart

RangerDan said:
Numbers for the itr engine are 177.9 whp with 126.9 torque. The k24/20 made 209.87 whp with 156.59 torque.

Engine is pretty mild/stock. 11.1 pistons, custom header (thanks Ray) custom intake, aem ems, 2.5 in exhaust, lightened flywheel, cm clutch some other things Im just forgetting.

Wiseco pistons 11.1's. Brent at http://www.pfispeed.com is going to put some more dyno time on Monday with some new ignition and fuel charts hopefully it will look even better!
Check http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid125/p3a180f8cf62dc493cda9aa7375c45a3e/f805974f.jpg.orig.jpg
to see full size dyno chart...

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Is, or has anybody made any custom cranks for the K24 yet? Or has anyone actually used the S2 crank?

or is this all still just mith?

custom crank and rods? 2.3L K24? anyone?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts