Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my K24 swapped MGB. I'm still going through small issues to get it running great but it's running very well, enough to drive and break in. The engine is K24 with 06-08 TSX rods/pistons and K20Z3 head and cams, the trans is a Toyota W trans with a custom bellhousing to mate them together. Intake and exhaust are an S2K manifold and custom header with full 3" exhaust. The engine management is handled by an AEM EMS-4. Any idea of how much power is should make?

Other mods to the car include deleted bumpers, 15" Work Ewing III wheels, lowered, poly bushings, and Miata seats.

The next step is to fix all the rust, put on a hardtop, and AutoX it in the meantime.

edit:
Here's an album of everything I've done to the car since I got it 6 years ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great work! Can I ask how hard the swap was? Any oil pan, crossmember, firewall or trans tunnel clearance issues?
It's about as involved as any swap of this level. With a different bell housing I had to hammer the trans tunnel some for it to fit, and also because of the bell housing I had to push the motor into the firewall about 6". No modification to the crossmember at all. The fuel tank also now has an in tank fuel pump and I had to reroute wiring, brake lines, and fuel lines to the other side of the car to keep it away from the exhaust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks! Pretty cool it goes in with stock crossmember and oil pan, seems to be the main issue on the RWD K series swaps. Only downside is you lose the heater box.

Would love to see some more photos if you have any.
My heater box is completely gone now, that's the part of the firewall I took out which ended up being perfect since it was double walled there. It didn't work anyways, so it worked out.

Here's an album of everything I've done to the car since I got it 6 years ago.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,722 Posts
Very nice project and what an amazing chassis Sandman!

The engine is K24 with 06-08 TSX rods/pistons and K20Z3 head and cams, the trans is a Toyota W trans with a custom bellhousing to mate them together. Intake and exhaust are an S2K manifold and custom header with full 3" exhaust. The engine management is handled by an AEM EMS-4. Any idea of how much power is should make?
It depends on it's exhaust system setup. Normally around 220 whp/185 wftlb should be seen on a FWD car. RWD I assume 5 % less, but it depends on the RWD concept and efficiency.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the image gallery Sandman! Awesome work, got me excited haha.

Do you think the motor would fit in while retaining the heater with a section out of the lower area under the heater box to clear the bellhousing? Where you have it sitting in the first photos. Obviously where you have it is much better but keeping the heater would be nice for colder climates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You definitely could. It would take modifying the oil pan or notching the k member though. I only went through all of that work because the car already had that trans in it, and once I found out how it was really mated to the stock 1800 it ended up being 6" further back than I was expecting. Keeping the trans where it is I was able to keep the driveshaft, shifter position, and trans crossmember. My heater also didn't work so I wasn't missing it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have an affinity for MGBs - I had several in my late teens/early 20's. :D My favorite was my '70, with wire wheel conversion taken from my Mum's BGT after it was totaled. I painted that one BRG. It's noce that this powerplant was used in RWD configuration - certainly reduces the number of custom parts to fabricate from scratch.

Looks good - it's a shame you don't have the pics in a forum, where we could view them in context.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sandman, if you ever have time I'd like to bend your ear a little about your swap. I'm looking at a K swap in a BGT and would like to hear more from someone who has done it already

·
Registered
3 Posts
How does it feel to have less weight over the front. Currently debating a 7k rpm sbf or k24. Figured you crossed this bridge and was wondering on details of the swap.

P.S. I drive a lifted 06 wagon as well so figure we're birds of a feather :sneaky:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How does it feel to have less weight over the front. Currently debating a 7k rpm sbf or k24. Figured you crossed this bridge and was wondering on details of the swap.

P.S. I drive a lifted 06 wagon as well so figure we're birds of a feather :sneaky:
It feels really good. I can't tell you the weight difference but it's probably at least 100lbs. Still needs to be fully tuned but it's a little rocket.

And the car and engine bay has changed a little bit. Hardtop is on and I fitted a much larger radiator out of a Ford Falcon.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice. I'd rather have a balanced car than a heavy roadster. Rover v8 is too big of a headache and 302 too heavy. Has me leaning towards a k swap. Save something like 300lbs over a 302.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The last time I when it it was maybe 52/48 weight split. Around 2k lbs and front mid engined now. I need to weigh it again since all the major stuff is finished.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,722 Posts
Rover v8 is too big of a headache and 302 too heavy. Has me leaning towards a k swap. Save something like 300lbs over a 302.
That's a good point. Low drivability and agility is something which can kill the fun on street, especially on serpentines. Having that much power is maybe fun on straights, but who wants to drag race such a piece of automotive art? I wouldn't even boost such a piece of art, just keep it natural aspirated. The Honda power aggregate feeds enough race genes in it to keep up with much more expensive sport cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really nice! Any modifications to the subframe or oil pan at all? What was done to the bell housing exactly? What flywheel/clutch/pressure plate are you running? Did the shifter end up in the right location?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts