Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys i have sold my EP3 a couple weeks back. I have been going through withdrawals ever since. I figured i would find a reasonable car to purchase that would be fun to drive. The only issue i have is, i just can't find a car that holds my interest.

I started thinking. What car would be a blast to stick a K20 or K24 into. That's when it hit me........

"How about a Porsche 914?"

Now i know that there are many swaps available for this chassis. Motors from Subaru, GM V8s, and Porsche 911 and 944 are all able to be swapped in. However i have yet to see a K Swapped one. I have all the basic components to build a K24. K24a4 block, K24a2 Head, and RSX-S Gearbox. It's just sitting around with no purpose. Seeing how i sold my EP3, i figured i would just sell it.

Now i'm thinking, is this swap possible for the 914?

I could use some input from anyone with knowledge of the chassis.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come to think about it, i'm pretty sure i know why no one has done this. Simply put the gearbox is the issue. I would have to have a custom gearbox made in order to mount the motor to the chassis.

I thought maybe an F20C trans would work, but i'm sure the transmission is too long for the chassis. Only measuring the length of the motor and transmission would confirm this. But i don't think that there is enough space to fit it.

Sucks because a Honda powered 914 would be awesome..........

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Doing a swap like that would be pretty invasive due to how low and flat the Porsche flat-four is. Mounting the tranny is no more difficult that mounting the engine though. It would probably mean having to move bulkheads around to make space, and even the width could be a concern. However, the height of the K engine is probably the biggest issue, as it'll stick out the top of the engine cover, if you care.

I'm building a mid-engine car and am pretty much designing it around the K-series, see sig.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is an adapter plate for the k to vw trans. I forgot the manufacturer name. I looked into doing this about a year ago til I needed about 12-15k to have good rust free chassis with nice suspension and swap. this would be so awesome. justhave to build custom mounts. reliability of a honda with a classic look of a porsche. I think the 914 is the perfect chassis. Just use the same parts as the v8 chevy guys do just with the K.

Adapter plate:http://www.kennedyeng.com/

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Ah, I thought the intent was to do a complete swap, using the Honda transaxle. The adaptors are all from the same place, Kennedy Engineering in Palmdale, CA.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ah, I thought the intent was to do a complete swap, using the Honda transaxle. The adaptors are all from the same place, Kennedy Engineering in Palmdale, CA.
I didn't even look into that route. all the swaps i found use a porsche or vw trans. either standard mounted or flipped for engine rotation. I thought this would end up being the best solution for weight distribution. kit uses porsche/vw clutches on custom flywheel. if the sits too high, the engine cover could be modified to clear since it isn't needed for air flow to cool the engine anymore.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have been club racing a 914 for 16 years and racing honda backed civics and tsxs, so i too have a lot of honda parts, but putting a k motor in is a bad idea. the air cooled 6 small motors are getting cheap with ever passing day and when you get done with the flat 6 swap you should be able to sell it for more money than you put into it, but i do think a wrx swap could be fun

·
Registered
186 Posts
I as well agree with the WRX or STI swap as kits are available for this swap. I love the 914, and I'm looking for one next summer but I will not be swaping the motor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Recently banged up my daily k20a swapped Honda chassis. Now I'm picking up an R33 for a daily duty.

So been thinking what I could do with the type-r motor... Mr2 and lotus chassis are a bit on the expensive side for a weekend track car. Too many in mint condition with perfectly good or new mechanical.

The 914 chassis are plentiful and inexpensive however, and I've always loved the look of the 914 from childhood....

Been looking online for k20 914 builds, haven't found any... So if anyone knows of any, could they post it here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish this swap was feasible...
I have two 914's in my back yard From myfathers old Porsche days...
Already got the flairs and 10inch centerlines in the rear

1 - 17 of 17 Posts