Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm venturing into the somewhat unknown. I've seen a couple K24 1st gen Coopers, but not the 2nd gen.
I have a jdm RSX transmission (5 speed).
The goal is to get it daily driver status and eventually autox and track days.
I'm looking at engines...leaning towards a jdm K24. I'm wondering how important it is to find a cable throttle body vs DBW.
Then I'll need a matching ecu, I'm ok with buying the K-tuned bypass if it gets me going.
Any tips would be great, thanks.

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
Hi guys, I'm venturing into the somewhat unknown. I've seen a couple K24 1st gen Coopers, but not the 2nd gen.
Welcome on board man!

You have luck, BMW loves to connect all electronic systems together 馃お. This makes the separation of the engine a bit more complex, I guess. Buddy of mine had last year an X5, which had a X-drive LSD issue. It blocked because the signal of the alternator to be ready for operation wasn't there when updating the SW and a SW control function saw that and forced the upload process to stop. If it has a CANbus system this is maybe more easy to simulate some operation parameters for ABS, ESP and that stuff with an CANbus controller ECU. I think that is the biggest challenge on this project if not already solved.

The other stuff is easy, just mechanical and harness challenges, which are solved 100's times before. It doesn't matter in your project either you run a DBW or cable TB as you most likely need an Aftermarket ECU, where most offer both. What you need to do clarify first, what electronic control circuits you have on board and what signals they need from the ECU. If this is clarified, most of us here can help you.

I know another Mini project here: K24 into R53 Mini Cooper | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome on board man!

You have luck, BMW loves to connect all electronic systems together 馃お. This makes the separation of the engine a bit more complex, I guess. Buddy of mine had last year an X5, which had a X-drive LSD issue. It blocked because the signal of the alternator to be ready for operation wasn't there when updating the SW and a SW control function saw that and forced the upload process to stop. If it has a CANbus system this is maybe more easy to simulate some operation parameters for ABS, ESP and that stuff with an CANbus controller ECU. I think that is the biggest challenge on this project if not already solved.

The other stuff is easy, just mechanical and harness challenges, which are solved 100's times before. It doesn't matter in your project either you run a DBW or cable TB as you most likely need an Aftermarket ECU, where most offer both. What you need to do clarify first, what electronic control circuits you have on board and what signals they need from the ECU. If this is clarified, most of us here can help you.

I know another Mini project here: K24 into R53 Mini Cooper | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum
Thanks, his was the first Cooper I've seen. The second I think it is in Thailand. I'm not worried so much about secondary systems, as long as the brakes and ABS are working. There is a body control module for the windows, etc. I'm trying to avoid the aftermarket ECU right now, simply for cost, maybe I will upgrade in the future. Looking for more of a plug and play solution. I have found a tucked harness online for $300 which I think is a great deal. Do the harnesses include the DBW gas pedal connector? I have sent a message to the seller.

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
Thanks, his was the first Cooper I've seen. The second I think it is in Thailand. I'm not worried so much about secondary systems, as long as the brakes and ABS are working. There is a body control module for the windows, etc. I'm trying to avoid the aftermarket ECU right now, simply for cost, maybe I will upgrade in the future. Looking for more of a plug and play solution. I have found a tucked harness online for $300 which I think is a great deal. Do the harnesses include the DBW gas pedal connector? I have sent a message to the seller.
Maybe the ABS controller is waiting for ECU input. It is a BMW design, likely it need something or it retried from operation 馃槈.

The engine harness includes also a controller and power supply harness to the DBW or a TPS harness to the cable TB. So it is specific for an engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe the ABS controller is waiting for ECU input. It is a BMW design, likely it need something or it retried from operation 馃槈.

The engine harness includes also a controller and power supply harness to the DBW or a TPS harness to the cable TB. So it is specific for an engine.
I've bought a very clean 03-07 jdm k24 with cable throttle body. I'm hoping this will make the swap a little easier. Now I'm looking for the ecu.
Edit- scored a great deal on a 37820-RAA-A21, and I see the bypass will not work with it. It was very cheap, so I can resell it. Are any of the bypass ecus for K24, it seems like their focus is the K20?

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
Ok, I found a PPA ecu for a manual K24 CRV in Canada. Looks like 'this is the way.'
If you use a Hondata KPro or KTuner or any other emulator please be aware not every ECU is able implement the emulator. E.g. see what Hondata says: kpro (hondata.com)

Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts