Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might have been screwed by jdm importer. I would please like to ask for help in identifying which motor this is.

So I STUPIDLY got jdm K24 claimed to be TSX motor (or whatever their Euro R accord)--- Shop who was doing build when I asked in initial stages said NOT to mess with jdm crap.--- should have listened

as some of you know, I been trying to put this thing into my MR2. After dyno my motor is making 186whp and 155 tq and is overheating and builds-up pressure in the coolant reservoir. ---> Mechanic who did the build says its the head-gasket issue.

While being there today, I pulled the head cover off. and here are pics.
(He suspects that block is from Non-highcomp accord, while head looks like K20 馃が) ---- All this would explain the improper head-gasket which JDM importer probably slapped together:mad: before shipping to me. Anyways I would please like your opinion on this. What do you all think this motor REALLY is? Thanks for help in advance.

Attachments

Registered
You have 3-lobe cams so that's good.

What stamp is on the block? I believe the stamp is on the transmission end, right next to the starter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have 3-lobe cams so that's good.

What stamp is on the block? I believe the stamp is on the transmission end, right next to the starter.
couldnt get to it since motor is in mid-engined car, but there is RAA stamp on the block itself.

the head has RBB, (so theoretically its a "nice one", but any way to tell from pic if its k24 head or k20 head?

Registered
RBB heads are from the 3-lobe K24 such as a USDM TSX or JDM Honda Odyssey Absolute. You won鈥檛 find that head on a K20 unless the owner swapped that head on (such as the ported 4P TSX head). The head stamping you鈥檒l find on a K20 varies depending on where it is from (US/JDM/EDM) or chassis. So you鈥檇 see a PRB, RBC, RSP, and so on, but not an RBB.

I bought a JDM 鈥淭SX鈥 3-lobe K24a motor last year that had an RBB-1 head (RBB is the k24a2 style head and the number tells you whether it鈥檚 an 04-05 or 06-08, which I don鈥檛 think the JDM K24s have an RBB-2 or -3 head). Had an RBB VTC gear too, just like yours. Confirmed the car it came from (Odyssey Absolute) through the ECU that came with the motor. Block was stamped with RAA (on the trans side of the block), same as my K24a2 blocks (both 2006). It came with the two-part intake manifold (which looks identical to the TSX manifold down to the DBW TB) but stamped with RAA on both pieces.

Did you call the importer and see what options you have? Did they have some kind of startup warranty? Did they offer a compression test before they sent it? I made the company I bought mine from do it in front of me before I pulled the truck in their loading dock. Did your mechanic confirm which cylinder(s) has the leak? I鈥檓 not sure if the importer would want confirmation so I鈥檓 just throwing ideas out there.

Registered
Just to clarify the JDM heads. They should all be RBB as stated above on the JDM K24a with the three lobes on both cams like the USDM TSX K24a2. All of the JDM K24a motors have the smaller valves like the USDM K24a2 from 04-05. The JDM heads are stamped RBB-1, RBB-2 and RBB-3 for sure. I have one in the garage right now on a stand that came from a JDM Odyssey and it has a RBB-3 head. Just means it鈥檚 potentially slightly newer than one with an RBB-1. All the JDM K24a motors are the same.

Registered
Being an RBB-3 head, do you know if your JDM head has the larger intake cam and +1mm intake valves like the 06-08 TSX heads (the ones marked RBB-2 and RBB-3)? I know you couldn鈥檛 tell just by looking at it, but it鈥檚 worth a shot for reference. And the intake manifold is supposed to be RBB (06-06) rather than RAA (04-05), with the bigger (64mm versus 60mm) TB inlet.

As for the OP, you said the mechanic is responsible for the 鈥渂uild鈥濃oes this mean he did the swap do you mean something else? I鈥檓 curious to know if there was oil in the antifreeze (coolant reservoir) or antifreeze in the oil (drain the oil). Or some compression or leak-down numbers.

Registered
Everything indicates as others have found the JDM did. It get the upgrades like the USDM K24a2 did. The Intake manifold is the same as the 04-05 with 60mm opening. Another member opened one up and found it had the valves are the same on all of the JDM K24s.

I actually got an USDM 05 Accord cable TB for my swap and it matches up to the manifold perfectly. I sent the TB and manifold to King Motorsports to have the TB opened up and manifold port matched. They reported back that it went from 60mm to 64mm.

sorry OP I know this is off topic

Registered
Mid mounted k series is more likely to have coolant bleeding issues than a bad head gasket.

Registered
Everything indicates as others have found the JDM did. It get the upgrades like the USDM K24a2 did. The Intake manifold is the same as the 04-05 with 60mm opening. Another member opened one up and found it had the valves are the same on all of the JDM K24s.

I actually got an USDM 05 Accord cable TB for my swap and it matches up to the manifold perfectly. I sent the TB and manifold to King Motorsports to have the TB opened up and manifold port matched. They reported back that it went from 60mm to 64mm.

sorry OP I know this is off topic
Good to know. I didn鈥檛 know one way or the other if JDM K24s came with the upgraded parts.

Mid mounted k series is more likely to have coolant bleeding issues than a bad head gasket.
I am leaning towards a coolant bleeding issue, but I didn鈥檛 know that mid-mounted Ks had the same bleeding issues. Good to know. That is why I鈥檓 interested in knowing if there is a mixture of coolant and oil going on. I will wait and see what information the OP has.

Registered
I am pretty sure you have an air bell in the engine. Bleeding all the air out of a mid-engine arrangement with the radiator at the front is hard, and the Toyota engines have bleed points specifically for this. If your mechanic is unfamiliar with MR2s, they have almost certainly not bled the coolant system properly, or have not built up the coolant system correctly in the first place.

Do you have bleed lines? Do you have a header tank separate from the overflow tank? Was the coolant bled from high points at both front and rear with the engine running?

(I used to have an SW20)

Registered
1992 BB2 Prelude k24A3 Swap
If you have a euro accord R engine then its most likely a K24A3. I have the same motor and it is in fact the 197 HP engine with the 3 lobes. You have those in your pics on the intake and exhaust. If it were the economy model it would only have them on the exhaust side. The A3 is basically the same as the first gen K24A2 before it got the new cams and stuff. Your dyno looks spot on since you lose about 20hp through your drive train. I agree with others saying you need to bleed the system very well.

Registered
If you have a euro accord R engine then its most likely a K24A3. I have the same motor and it is in fact the 197 HP engine with the 3 lobes. You have those in your pics on the intake and exhaust. If it were the economy model it would only have them on the exhaust side. The A3 is basically the same as the first gen K24A2 before it got the new cams and stuff. Your dyno looks spot on since you lose about 20hp through your drive train. I agree with others saying you need to bleed the system very well.
The accord euro R engine is a k20a variant with a balance shaft oil pump and 220hp.

The accord euro has the k24 with 200hp

Registered
Ah ok I see. What is the variant? So much for my Euro R badge lol.
It is its own version. Rbc head and intake. Type r cams. Not sure on the piston/ conrod combo. K24 style ancillarys with balance shaft oil pump.

Premium Member
It is its own version. Rbc head and intake. Type r cams. Not sure on the piston/ conrod combo. K24 style ancillarys with balance shaft oil pump.
The CL7 K20A is like a big bro the K20Z3. Though it has the same PRB rods and PRC 11.5cr pistons as the EP3/DC5 K20A Type-R engine and runs the elusive RBC cable driven throttle body.

Regarding the cooling system on Kswapped SW20's, running a swirlpot seems to be a handy band-aide for these guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts