Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

This might be the wrong place to ask this, but....

Does anyone know readily available transmission options for rwd K series cars?

Ideally race transmissions, but good oem ones as well.

:scared:

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So.....

Back to the original question...

Has anyone tried the 350z trans?

D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im going to be trying out the ZF310z out of bmw m3..haven't decided whether i will do a bellhousing cut & shut or make an adapter plate yet.
Some bmw guys putting down some serious power through them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so looks like Im going with the S2000 option.

Reason being is that eventually, Ill be going with a QBE60, so if I get the flywheel and adapter plate handled, the Quaife should be a simple swap (?)

So now I have 2 questions..

Does anyone have access to a S2 transmission and/or K20/24 transmission?

I would like the measurements of the pilot shafts in relation to the engine/bellhousing plane.

As a matter of fact, I believe I have the measurement for the K series: the pilot protrudes .270" past the bellhousing.

I just need that measurement for the S2 trans, if anyone has it.

David

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ok, so looks like Im going with the S2000 option.

Reason being is that eventually, Ill be going with a QBE60, so if I get the flywheel and adapter plate handled, the Quaife should be a simple swap (?)

So now I have 2 questions..

Does anyone have access to a S2 transmission and/or K20/24 transmission?

I would like the measurements of the pilot shafts in relation to the engine/bellhousing plane.

As a matter of fact, I believe I have the measurement for the K series: the pilot protrudes .270" past the bellhousing.

I just need that measurement for the S2 trans, if anyone has it.

David
from my memory,on the S2k trans,the pilot is not protruding of the bellhousing ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does actually.

The S2 has a 20mm pilot dia that extendes 7mm past the eng/bell plane.

The K series has a 21mm pilot that extends 7.8mm.

Both of them intface winthe crankshaft directly via a bushing as opposed to a bearing in the pressure plate.

Since the S2000 pilot dia is smaller, all thats needed is a different bushing (maybe even the S2 bushing will work) - I forgot to meaure the bushing OD in both instances.

This is great news.

Im going to mill the bellhousing and weld the adapter instead.
This will allow me to run a Tilton 5.5" or the Spec 7.25" button clutch.

The entire clutch system will weigh less than just the flywheel (because of its extra thickness) that is available currently.

Nothing like rummaging around a salvage yard with a boroscope and calipers on a weekend afternoon...

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
You could convert it to a Chevrolet pattern and flywheel to make it more race universal. We converted ours to use a convention GM bellhousing and a 142T GM flywheel (RAM). Then mated it with a Liberty Equalizer 5-speed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its going into a miata, so....

Too big
Too heavy
Too expnsive
Already owe Craig for my last trans lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
do not buy spec clutches i have one and it does not handle the torque they state it does and will look for every excuse to deny warranty without complete dis-assembly and lots of pictures then mail in and inspection on your dime . their customer service is very prompt and polite but their actual customer service sukks always looking for a way to put its failure on the installer or contamination from leaky components not to mention their warranty is only valid if you use THEIR flywheel. so be prepared to spend 900-1200 on a clutch and flywheel that is only covered for 120 days. if you get one subtract 15% from their torque rating and that is its max. :frage:

·
Registered
1 Posts
It does actually.

The S2 has a 20mm pilot dia that extendes 7mm past the eng/bell plane.

The K series has a 21mm pilot that extends 7.8mm.

Both of them intface winthe crankshaft directly via a bushing as opposed to a bearing in the pressure plate.

Since the S2000 pilot dia is smaller, all thats needed is a different bushing (maybe even the S2 bushing will work) - I forgot to meaure the bushing OD in both instances.

This is great news.

Im going to mill the bellhousing and weld the adapter instead.
This will allow me to run a Tilton 5.5" or the Spec 7.25" button clutch.

The entire clutch system will weigh less than just the flywheel (because of its extra thickness) that is available currently.

Nothing like rummaging around a msalvage yard with a boroscope and calipers on a weekend afternoon...
I'm really interested in building a similar drivetrain, how did the s2k trans end up working?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts