Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, ive read over a few things but i havent seen it discussed yet. is it possible to run a K series motor with a OBD1 or OBD2 ECU???? this is assuming the sensors require and read the same input/output voltages. i would think it would b possible depending on the chassis the motor is goin into. obviously the IVTEC wont work at all but u could just replace that with regular cam gears.

·
Registered
565 Posts
We run my civic on a different compuer that we use to run all the B-series motors on. We use one cam angle sensor instead of the two and we still run the factory cam gears although we discovered that the Inlet Cam arent set at 0 degrees factory when its resting.
As for power we still produce as much as a K20A tuned with a Hondata..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brian g said:
You would have to custom fabricate the crank angle sensor, but practically speaking, no.

brian g
thanx for the info guys.

brian, i assume that the crank angle sensor is needed. is that just because of firing order or what???
if i had to rewire my harness i could easily do that. when i changed my 99 civic to 98 spec i repinned all the wires. wiring is a piece of cake as long as u have a good diagram to work with.

·
Registered
565 Posts
We just got the Comp guys to reconfigure our computer to run the one CAM angle sensor instead of a crank angle, wasnt a hassle at all the car runs fine plus we only needed half the wiring of running a K-PRO or a factory computer set-up..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess ill just have to wait for brian to answer back and to get the RSX S wiring diagram for the ECU.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm using a LINK PLUS its a New Zealand firm that is starting to get into the states the same as HONDATA did. the comp allows us to use a custom wiring loom etc. all up there is about 20wires in the car excluding the tal lights..
www.link-electro.co.nz is there home page.
They are also developing a computer that can be used all cars with variable cams including quad cam V8's with variable cam gears..
They have also almost finished developing there self programming ECU but it wont be released for awhile yet.. Although I hope to get one in the next month to test it for them..

·
Registered
599 Posts
1 2 NV said:
brian, i assume that the crank angle sensor is needed. is that just because of firing order or what???
No, it has to do with the number of times it pulses.
The No1 cylinder sensor pulses at TDC on the No1 cylinder.
The TDC sensor pulses at TDC for each cylinder.
The crank angle sensor pulses at various crank positions during the cycle.
Unfortunately it's a different number of pulses for the K-series engines compared to OBD 1/2 engines.

Using a computer that isn't set up for the correct number of pulses doesn't work.

brian g

·
Registered
35 Posts
thanks for the info on that setup non vtec... i might have some people who could be interested in that.. i'm going to have to check up on that site

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
I think what brian g was saying was that you will not be able to use the stock obd1/2 ecus (honda). A standalone engine management is a different story.

The wiring for the K series swap is not very difficult at all, and using a system like hondata has alot of benefits over the link unit. One being you are able to continue to use the VTC.

Do you think you can make more power with the VTC operating?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts