Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently done my jdm k20a conversion and I was giving it a go the other day, I somehow managed to miss shift twice from 2nd to 1st at around 8k rpm, the needle went crazy and was revving close to 10k rpm.

I was amazed at how easy it was to miss shift into 1st, normally it would be almost impossible to shift into 1st at this sort of rev. The kseries box felt so effortless and went in naturally. I have thrashed around a B18CR for years and 5speed would never do things like that. My question is, is there anything I can do to the 6speed to minimise this problem? I dont' want to blow up the box and engine after spending so much man, any tips would be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I am extremely suprised as well, I didn't even know what was going on the 1st time around, I only realised it the second time I did it. I was just trying to do a quick shift into 3rd and landed in 1st...

the box and engine seem to be fine for now, I just hope it doesn't break down on me suddenly later on...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I know it's driver's error, but I am just amazed how easy it was to shift back into 1st...

guess I just have to shift slower and change the technique a bit...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would suggest in the future to stop grabbing the shift knob and shifting. Palm it instead. When going to second shift with pinky and ring finger, when to third shift with base of the thumb, and to fourth with middle 3 fingers, and fifth with base of thumb again, lol. I hope this helps, I picked up 1-2 tenths in the thousand foot track we have by shifting like this, cause I wasnt misshift anymore. Also, slow down your shifts till you get comfy with it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would suggest in the future to stop grabbing the shift knob and shifting. Palm it instead. When going to second shift with pinky and ring finger, when to third shift with base of the thumb, and to fourth with middle 3 fingers, and fifth with base of thumb again, lol. I hope this helps, I picked up 1-2 tenths in the thousand foot track we have by shifting like this, cause I wasnt misshift anymore. Also, slow down your shifts till you get comfy with it.
lol, that sounds kinda complicated..or just wierd to me. i just kinda push it up with my bottom palm, and when i move the shiter down, i kinda back-hand with my palm where my pinky is the top finger. for example. like the judo chop, but your hand is turned opposite way. lol. its easy to do, but hard to explain it right. thats just my way. most of my problems are 5th though. it kinda has this stuck feeling sometimes, and sometimes it doesnt. oh well. guess thats just me, the drivers doing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah, basically tilt your palm in the direction you want it to go. But sounds like he grabs and holds the shifter, common error in beinner racers or stick drivers, and if not cured early, be a permenant error. I did this for one summer, until I was taught. It really isnt as complicated as I wrote, it jsut seems that way in the writing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
i cant get into 1st if im going like over 10-15 mph.
wtf.
am i doing it wrong?lol
i dont even put it in 1st at that speed. revs too high. unless your trying to race someone in 1st at a speed like that. for some reason it is a bit tough. i have to do more of an "up and over" move than a diagonal shift like i can going the other direction, like 2-3-4 and so on. starting from 1st in mine though, and maybe others, im not sure. but starting in 1st, to get to 2nd, its like a down and left. kinda wierd to me. who else has an accord shifter for their k20 swaps?

·
Registered
182 Posts
^ u lost me
LOL

i got an RSX shifter. i think the trans "locks" u out of 1st when ur going over a certain speed. even tho its points to race from 1st since its pretty much a burnout.

·
Registered
919 Posts
i dont even put it in 1st at that speed. revs too high. unless your trying to race someone in 1st at a speed like that. for some reason it is a bit tough. i have to do more of an "up and over" move than a diagonal shift like i can going the other direction, like 2-3-4 and so on. starting from 1st in mine though, and maybe others, im not sure. but starting in 1st, to get to 2nd, its like a down and left. kinda wierd to me. who else has an accord shifter for their k20 swaps?
wth did you just say?!?!?

·
Registered
919 Posts
^ u lost me
LOL

i got an RSX shifter. i think the trans "locks" u out of 1st when ur going over a certain speed. even tho its points to race from 1st since its pretty much a burnout.
this whole time, i thought something was wrong with my tranny. slowing down due to traffic then trying to put it back in first is almost impossible...

good to know that it's NORMAL!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I dont think the trans can lock you out of first. Learn how to drive, it is not easy to misshift into first, from 4th to 3rd I can imagine because the shifter wants to return to neutral which is in the middle..

·
Registered
755 Posts
well i was just responding to the guy saying he had problems going into first at like 15 mph. i said its a little tough and pointless. and yes, whoever said its just a burnout, yeah your right. i wouldnt shift down to first for anything. i will start from first like normal, but never shift down to first.

and my shifter is probably different than others. it sits pretty much at a 45 degree angle. neutral looks kinda like im in 4th. and i was saying to go down in 2nd, seems a bit wierd. i cant explain how it feels. youd just have to drive it yourself

·
HONDA HEAVEN RIP
2,754 Posts
^ u lost me
LOL

I dont think the trans can lock you out of first. Learn how to drive, it is not easy to misshift into first, from 4th to 3rd I can imagine because the shifter wants to return to neutral which is in the middle..
transmission cant lock out of first. Reason why its so hard to go into first from a roll, is because the first gear is the largest and heaviest gear in the tranny. Even the freshest first gear synchro cant stop that gear when the diff is telling the shafts to keep spinning. sorta hard to explain.

·
Registered
457 Posts
yeah Joe, I dont know what the Accord shift knob looks like, but I had a problem grabbing my shifter while shifting, and then I intalled a shift knob from the 4th gen prelude, which I assume is what yours look like, I like the sqare design, easier to shift correctly with, it isnt tempting to grab anymore.

·
Registered
755 Posts
yeah Joe, I dont know what the Accord shift knob looks like, but I had a problem grabbing my shifter while shifting, and then I intalled a shift knob from the 4th gen prelude, which I assume is what yours look like, I like the sqare design, easier to shift correctly with, it isnt tempting to grab anymore.
not the knob though. the whole shifter is what im talking about. i have a mugen 6 speed knob

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I have absolutely no issues going into first at just about any rpm. One thing that will help with shitty shifting techniques is to swap out the rubber bushings in the trans end of the cables with the aluminum bushings from Corsport.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts