Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 174 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
You are well Informed sir yes I live in Salem. I grew up on a skateboard so the rain was always a bummer lol. But the weather here is great most of the time. Yes no sales tax to Oregon address from online retailers as well. I can’t complain! the ocean, city and mountains are all within an hours drive 👍
Just reading what you wrote :D. Sounds like this is a very nice place to live. I also read Tektronix came out of your area. I grew up in a mountainous area on a farm, I am addicted to the mountains with it's varied climate zones and weather changes. Having all: sea, mountain and longer constant weather periods, together would make my wife happy :D.

And ThAnkyou ! My father in law builds houses and I wasn’t too keen to be around when it came time for The tile and floor work on ours 😂 not easy stuff
Aaaahhhh...not that of a problem to make it from a farer view look shiny. The master just differentiate on smaller and bigger details and some comprehensive knowhow about preparation of underground, choosing the right tiles and so on, working efficiently...once I was asking my mother who tiled the kitchen wall, when I was about to began what could have been improved, she looked intense to me and said: "It was me!" :lmao:. You see, everyone can do it.

It’s by no means perfect but the itch to do something struck me after work today so I wiped down and taped off my rbc to get it painted up.I had read the header paint dries a more flat finish and is less prone to chipping or cracking so I figured I would give that a try. The valve cover and other bits will be black so I wanted to keep the manifold a somewhat oem silver color 👍
Looks great. I think it will fit in a decent way to the black valve cover. I also wanted mine to be silver anodized, but the painter made all the same: valve cover, IM

DAMPFHAMMER intake manifold

No longer a decent part of the engine.

What kind of header did you choose for now?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just reading what you wrote :D. Sounds like this is a very nice place to live. I also read Tektronix came out of your area. I grew up in a mountainous area on a farm, I am addicted to the mountains with it's varied climate zones and weather changes. Having all: sea, mountain and longer constant weather periods, together would make my wife happy :D.

Aaaahhhh...not that of a problem to make it from a farer view look shiny. The master just differentiate on smaller and bigger details and some comprehensive knowhow about preparation of underground, choosing the right tiles and so on, working efficiently...once I was asking my mother who tiled the kitchen wall, when I was about to began what could have been improved, she looked intense to me and said: "It was me!" :lmao:. You see, everyone can do it.

Looks great. I think it will fit in a decent way to the black valve cover. I also wanted mine to be silver anodized, but the painter made all the same: valve cover, IM

View attachment 102255

No longer a decent part of the engine.

What kind of header did you choose for now?
Dude two fuel rails ! Is that for a NA motor ? In your lotus ? That’s a very nice looking manifold ! And thanks I try to keep a theme/flow with what colors I choose. I’ve almost always done black and silver lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
On the b series I painted the head and block etc polished a bunch of stuff but when I put it in the car a couple coolant and fuel leaks ruined it so I won’t be doing that again lol I hate flakey paint /painted parts that don’t come out right or stay looking good
049F7DB0-DD75-4277-A9FF-C9BC5D649A0D.jpeg

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Dude two fuel rails ! Is that for a NA motor ? In your lotus ? That’s a very nice looking manifold ! And thanks I try to keep a theme/flow with what colors I choose. I’ve almost always done black and silver lol
Still haven’t gotten as far as picking a header or buying one.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
Yeah two fuel rails for a 86.5x86 NA engine. The purpose of two is to give me some flexibility regarding fuel window timing and some other stuff to get a higher efficiency out of the engine.

I've tested already several fuel stage and timing strategies with my own designed DAMPFHAMMER technology. This engine is spec'd to have above 260+ [email protected] rpm and showed already 202 [email protected] rpm or 178 [email protected] rpm, gives a power level 187 [email protected] rpm, already more than a stock K20 at peak power, which shows normally around 160 whp at around 7400 rpm. Peak torque is planned to be at 7500 rpm. At 5500 rpm the gearbox heated up because of oil starvation. Will get it back end of the year on our engine dyno a friend of mine and I build since some month. Just this week we finished our own flow bench, which made cracy 62" of water column on a 30 mm test hole, to do some serious cylinder head development. This will get an exciting after holiday season, we will see where it lead us :).

I like the silver-black-theme flow. Are you going to paint your chassis in that flow too?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
Still haven’t gotten as far as picking a header or buying one.
May I can help you. What's your power/torque goal with it? I would give you a rough idea what is needed for it and you can check out the market with that measures, maybe you find the right designed header for it in the aftermarket. At least something which support your aims at good level of consensus.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
On the b series I painted the head and block etc polished a bunch of stuff but when I put it in the car a couple coolant and fuel leaks ruined it so I won’t be doing that again lol I hate flakey paint /painted parts that don’t come out right or stay looking good
Sorry to hear that, seems to be a hard learning by doing lesson. Anyway, the B-series engine setup looks awesome KBuilt! Especially with the electronic ignition system (s. pictures above) it looks so clean.

For what was the 90° bend pipe on the oil pan on your B-series engine?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yeah two fuel rails for a 86.5x86 NA engine. The purpose of two is to give me some flexibility regarding fuel window timing and some other stuff to get a higher efficiency out of the engine.

View attachment 102257

I've tested already several fuel stage and timing strategies with my own designed DAMPFHAMMER technology. This engine is spec'd to have above 260+ [email protected] rpm and showed already 202 [email protected] rpm or 178 [email protected] rpm, gives a power level 187 [email protected] rpm, already more than a stock K20 at peak power, which shows normally around 160 whp at around 7400 rpm. Peak torque is planned to be at 7500 rpm. At 5500 rpm the gearbox heated up because of oil starvation. Will get it back end of the year on our engine dyno a friend of mine and I build since some month. Just this week we finished our own flow bench, which made cracy 62" of water column on a 30 mm test hole, to do some serious cylinder head development. This will get an exciting after holiday season, we will see where it lead us :).

I like the silver-black-theme flow. Are you going to paint your chassis in that flow too?
Wow 180+ whp @5250 is impressive ! My chassis is still the original Honda black I will keep it that color if/when it gets repainted. Wherever possible I will keep the black and “oem” Silver color I chose for the rbc I will use the matching paint on anything else to keep it all even and uniform I don’t like random colors. That intake manifold is badass ! What fuel will the engine mainly see ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sorry to hear that, seems to be a hard learning by doing lesson. Anyway, the B-series engine setup looks awesome KBuilt! Especially with the electronic ignition system (s. pictures above) it looks so clean.

For what was the 90° bend pipe on the oil pan on your B-series engine?
Thanks ! I try to make anything going into the car look good or at least 100% clean. Before I got the block from my buddy It had a ac/ps compatible turbo kit on it and the turbo was on the radiator side so the oil drain was turned that way and they also clearanced the block on the lower left side to make room for the turbo I’m assuming. I was going to cut and redo it properly when I installed the turbo setup I had for the b series but as you can see now plans change 😅

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
May I can help you. What's your power/torque goal with it? I would give you a rough idea what is needed for it and you can check out the market with that measures, maybe you find the right designed header for it in the aftermarket. At least something which support your aims at good level of consensus.
I would like to see 230whp and 180 tq with a stock tsx block ( or Jdm equivalent) with either just the z1 cams put in with the 50 vtc, or with swapping the head altogether for the k20z1 head I have. Rbc is port-matched to my 70mm TB and the adapter plate is 70 as well. 3” exhaust with a resonator and vibrant muffler. Either 3” or 3.5” intake I probably will make a couple different to play with /and for wet weather. Fuel system is e85 safe but I would like to use 91-92 octane pump premium to keep fueling easy when taking the car places. It’s an hour either direction to the closest e85 for me which is also an issue

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I would like to see 230whp and 180 tq with a stock tsx block ( or Jdm equivalent) with either just the z1 cams put in with the 50 vtc, or with swapping the head altogether for the k20z1 head I have. Rbc is port-matched to my 70mm TB and the adapter plate is 70 as well. Either 3” or 3.5” intake I probably will make a couple different to play with /and for wet weather. Fuel system is e85 safe but I would like to use 91-92 octane pump premium to keep fueling easy when taking the car places. It’s an hour either direction to the closest e85 for me which is also an issue
Also will be using rdx or similar sized injectors. 255 fuel pump

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
My chassis is still the original Honda black I will keep it that color if/when it gets repainted. Wherever possible I will keep the black and “oem” Silver color I chose for the rbc I will use the matching paint on anything else to keep it all even and uniform I don’t like random colors.
Sounds the theme is flowing into every detail of the project (y).

That intake manifold is badass ! What fuel will the engine mainly see ?
Thanks KBuilt, I am curious where it can bring the engine power curve :). Fuel is 94 RON pump. I would like to run it on E85, but there is no single fuel station in a 100 km diameter around here.

...Before I got the block from my buddy It had a ac/ps compatible turbo kit on it and the turbo was on the radiator side so the oil drain was turned that way and they also clearanced the block on the lower left side to make room for the turbo I’m assuming. I was going to cut and redo it properly when I installed the turbo setup I had for the b series but as you can see now plans change 😅
Aaaahhh, it was the oil outlet drain port for the planned turbo. Now I understand. Are there other locations to turn the oil back in the engine, like through the oil cooler passage?

I would like to see 230whp and 180 tq with a stock tsx block...with either just the z1 cams put in with the 50 vtc, or with swapping the head altogether for the k20z1 head I have. Rbc is port-matched to my 70mm TB and the adapter plate is 70 as well. 3” exhaust with a resonator and vibrant muffler. Either 3” or 3.5” intake I probably will make a couple different to play with /and for wet weather. Fuel system is e85 safe but I would like to use 91-92 octane pump premium to keep fueling easy when taking the car places. It’s an hour either direction to the closest e85 for me which is also an issue...Also will be using rdx or similar sized injectors. 255 fuel pump
That's a challenging aim. It's good to have the full head swap available, otherwise the power goal won't be easy reachable without running too much ign. timing, using the right header and intake. The head swap is for my perspective highly recommended. The header length should be around 0.7 m, no matter if 4-1 or 4-2-1. If you go with an 4-2-1 look out for primaries of around 0.5 m, secondaries accordingly the total length. This system will support your engine setup in a nice way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sounds the theme is flowing into every detail of the project (y).

Thanks KBuilt, I am curious where it can bring the engine power curve :). Fuel is 94 RON pump. I would like to run it on E85, but there is no single fuel station in a 100 km diameter around here.

Aaaahhh, it was the oil outlet drain port for the planned turbo. Now I understand. Are there other locations to turn the oil back in the engine, like through the oil cooler passage?

That's a challenging aim. It's good to have the full head swap available, otherwise the power goal won't be easy reachable without running too much ign. timing, using the right header and intake. The head swap is for my perspective highly recommended. The header length should be around 0.7 m, no matter if 4-1 or 4-2-1. If you go with an 4-2-1 look out for primaries of around 0.5 m, secondaries accordingly the total length. This system will support your engine setup in a nice way.
There is a spot on the left side of the cylinder head on b series that you can use as an oil return for turbo setups , as well as a sandwich plate between the oil filter and block with 1/8 npt ports. I had a glow shift plate I probably will use on the k series to watch oil pressure

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
@LotusElise
This is supposed to be completely stock k24a tsx motor. 25 vtc, no head swap. Has the k tuned big tube header, 3” exhaust and 72mm throttle body with an rbc and he manages to hit 240 whp below 7,000 rpm! And 200 tq! If only I could be so lucky to get results like that lol

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
This is supposed to be completely stock k24a tsx motor. 25 vtc, no head swap. Has the k tuned big tube header, 3” exhaust and 72mm throttle body with an rbc and he manages to hit 240 whp below 7,000 rpm! And 200 tq! If only I could be so lucky to get results like that lol
Thanks for sharing the video, which is pretty interesting. I would love to believe it, but I can't. My calculations show for 200 wftlb a necessary VE of 1.29 and at 6700 rpm of 1.22. This VE level is not possible with an RBC, maybe possible in one point and not over a bandwidth of 1000 rpm, but surly not with just 25° VTC. TB-port-matched RBC's I have seen up to 1.18 in VE on 86 mm stroke and 1.21 on 99 mm stroke at maximum at peak torque, not at peak power. A VE-level of 1.29 need a better flowing IM which has on spot tuned runner lengths and diameters, which the RBC barely have.

Maybe they tuned it on race gas or E85, which gives a bit a higher VE by better cooling and the faster combustion velocity helps to increase the torque too. And maybe their dyno was a bit off the reference calibration. Sometimes this happens 😉. But still I would have my doubts on that as it is still a stock long block, pushing the torque curve 32 % over the stock one. If that particualr engine would have a higher CR, a K20 head and a ported RRC, maybe ok - member deibral made with his franken long block, ported K20 head, TODA A3 and a ported RRC with an nice header and exhaust barely 200 wftlb - but not with this setup.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
@LotusElise so his dyno has to read high then ? I don’t quite understand the VE stuff but I get what you’re saying about the engine not being capable of it with the existing parts list. I guess my hopes were a little too high 🙄💀

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,266 Posts
@LotusElise so his dyno has to read high then ? I don’t quite understand the VE stuff but I get what you’re saying about the engine not being capable of it with the existing parts list. I guess my hopes were a little too high 🙄💀
With the franken 87x99 engine, the ITR cams and the 50° VTC gear wheel you have a good basis to get into the 230+ whp. You may read this to find some hope again :): Post only K24a2's Stock Block, pushed to its Limit...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
With the franken 87x99 engine, the ITR cams and the 50° VTC gear wheel you have a good basis to get into the 230+ whp. You may read this to find some hope again :): Post only K24a2's Stock Block, pushed to its Limit...
that sounds good to me lol I checked out that list in the stock block 24 thread and that reinforced my plan to use the tsx block with the 06 type s head and cams I have. Thanks for your knowledge

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Oem Rsx shifter box and cables acquired 👍 both a bit dirty but can’t complain for the price ✅
image.jpg

41 - 60 of 174 Posts