Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

521 - 540 of 569 Posts

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,618 Posts
@LotusElise i was watching a cam swap comparison video from the Tegiwa and was wondering if you could elaborate on this type of dyno reading ? Is this normal for a k20a2 to make low 200whp overseas ?
A stock K20 is good for 165 whp. What do you want to know specifically?

BTW, the correction factor calculation isn't correct for the rated conditions. It should be according DIN Norm 70020 Qv = 0.981 [-]. So the results should be even lower, because of the cold air temperature. Standard temperature is higher it is 20 Β°C 🧐...so enough teacher talk here πŸ˜„.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
A stock K20 is good for 165 whp. What do you want to know specifically?

BTW, the correction factor calculation isn't correct for the rated conditions. It should be according DIN Norm 70020 Qv = 0.981 [-]. So the results should be even lower, because of the cold air temperature. Standard temperature is higher it is 20 Β°C 🧐...so enough teacher talk here πŸ˜„.
I was wondering why the dyno is showing so many readings other than just the wheel horsepower and torque more than anything. You must mean stock k20 as in the original exhaust manifold, intake air box and computer management yes ? I just thought 200whp was pretty low power output for a k20 with cams and a skunk2 manifold /header etc. and I’m also wondering how the other one made 263 lol

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
I had noticed a slight bit of oil on my driver side axle after my first couple trips and then after 45-50 miles it had turned more into an actual leak on my garage floor so today I got off work early and started on replacing the axle seal. After struggling with the axle for a good while it finally slid out and I find the culprit, a bent c clip. These yonaka 32mm swap axles have been great on this car so far and were reliable on my last k swap car, but I am definitely replacing these clips with oem ones (just ordered will arrive tomorrow am to Acura ) and the spare set I will be ordering is going to receive oem clips as well πŸ‘
47D19E8C-74EB-43C9-A138-CE5170ACAF20.jpeg
7943863A-057F-4ED0-AB90-82DB86BCF8D1.jpeg

New seal installed
05776EF1-2AAE-43AB-BA04-D66867FC0FF2.jpeg

and with my eBay $5 pack of 20 crush washers we replaced the one for the drain plug, some people re-use but IMO once they crush its in the trash upon removal.

91F069FB-4396-4474-A92D-0F8651FBC929.jpeg

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Trans fluid βœ…
Axle clip βœ…
Soft sleeve 1/2” 19mm for the lug nuts βœ…
3CA194D9-E4E5-416E-AA0F-48B229FE47A7.jpeg
E9C992F4-86C9-4082-A9F8-34B3BC8264E9.jpeg

After letting the car run for 20-30 min on the stands with the wheels turning we have zero leaks (confirmed the next morning there was still no fluids on the ground) πŸ‘πŸ‘. I tried to bleed some more air from the system during, I’m beginning to think my heater valve in the hose is somehow not working properly. Both the inlet and outlets to the heater core under the dash get very hot, the hoses get hot, both rad hoses get hot lol.... but my heat is still lukewarm at best with ECT @ 170-185. While driving temps lower to the upper 160s/170s the back to 185 once it’s idling at a stop for a bit. Has not risen above 187 since the initial air bubble passed. Fan is set to 187 if I remember correctly. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
EDC44026-60C2-4F21-AE2D-92632B06476E.jpeg

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 ·
Some goodies arrived today πŸ‘ since it’s raining may as well work on the car πŸ˜…. Some new spark plugs, a very nice $18 fuel pump relay harness and my ev6 injector plugs for the 6.0 injectors βœ…
0E2B2442-AEE4-4D1B-A9A5-2945B2DA4085.jpeg

Doesn’t get much better than this for under $20
464B4699-8B96-404D-9671-BF44139EDD01.jpeg

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #526 · (Edited)
Well I’m just back from a road tuning session with a local tuner ( he’s done multiple cars for me in the past and I’ve always had good experiences ) and I am very impressed with this engine. Vtec wasn’t engaging prior due to my speed sensor error code, with the PND ecu a constant speed signal must be set, and launch control turned off to have things function properly (unless you run additional wiring from inside the ecu case to the engine harness which I did not want to do ). Once that was taken care of it became clear this is a really strong stock motor and I couldn’t be happier with it ! πŸ‘ videos coming soon.
5DB81719-5753-4532-B089-79D28AE2F269.jpeg
2C65BFF1-00E0-4670-A579-E8CB331E6BAF.jpeg

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 · (Edited)
Also fixed the heat issue πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…. It was the vent door under the dash. The garage may have been a little too smoky that day πŸ’€ now we have nice hot air coming in the cabin. The tuner thinks my temps going cold while driving is the thermostat getting slightly stuck. We had to pull over and let the car idle to warm up a bit before doing WOT pulls a few times to make sure the temp corrections were good. All in all it was a successful day, with the tuner complimenting how strong the motor felt compared to other k24s he had worked with.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,618 Posts
While driving temps lower to the upper 160s/170s the back to 185 once it’s idling at a stop for a bit. Has not risen above 187 since the initial air bubble passed.
A customer had the same issue. We swapped another thermostat in it (OEM) and the drive operation temperature range was back on track. Seems there are some Full-week-Monday-production thermostat's around 🀨😜.
BTW, did the "vent door" closing solve the issue at the maximum side or also on the lower side of the aimed temperature range?

Some new spark plugs...
What part number do they have?

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·
A customer had the same issue. We swapped another thermostat in it (OEM) and the drive operation temperature range was back on track. Seems there are some Full-week-Monday-production thermostat's around 🀨😜.
BTW, did the "vent door" closing solve the issue at the maximum side or also on the lower side of the aimed temperature range?

What part number do they have?
The vent door just allowed my blower motor under the dash to Blow hot air from the heater core instead of the air coming from outside the vent in the windshield cowl. When the heat runs it slightly lowers the ECT, but I believe it’s fluctuations are due to it sticking although it is a new thermostat. The spark plugs I got are Ngk BKR7E-IX although the Original ones are still in the engine seemingly doing fine. I will likely save the new ones for the retune with the updated fuel setup. On 92 oct pump gas we hit 100% duty @ 6600 rpm and I can already hear your forewarnings πŸ˜… I won’t be beating the shit out of it until it gets more fuel πŸ‘

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,618 Posts

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #533 ·
Good choice.

At what fuel pressure?

I don't trust the stock knock system when the engine is slightly modified.
Fuel pressure right about 50psi. Maybe 51-53psi I got it as close to 50 as I could. So even just with bolt ons, and a brand new knock sensor you don’t trust it to register properly ?

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,618 Posts
Fuel pressure right about 50psi. Maybe 51-53psi I got it as close to 50 as I could.
This is 0.44 bar over OEM pressure of 3 bar (43.5 psi), so fuel flow is around 332 ccm. What lambda did you see at 100 % duty cycle operation?

So even just with bolt ons, and a brand new knock sensor you don’t trust it to register properly ?
Even then. Did you advance the ign. timing to test the increase in Knock level? At which WOT ign. timing the ECU sees a knock at high speed cam?

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·
This is 0.44 bar over OEM pressure of 3 bar (43.5 psi), so fuel flow is around 332 ccm. What lambda did you see at 100 % duty cycle operation?

Even then. Did you advance the ign. timing to test the increase in Knock level? At which WOT ign. timing the ECU sees a knock at high speed cam?
@ 100% duty it’s in the mid -high 12s AFR. It was in the 13s but the engine liked a bit richer in vtec, at least it felt to pull stronger and smoother with more fuel. The ecu didn’t record any knocks to my knowledge. From city driving to wot pulls in 3rd and 4th to limiter it didn’t see any knock. He told me map I had previously uploaded on there had way too much timing advance in it for idle and part throttle and it still didn’t pick up knock in the beginning of the datalogging.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #536 ·
I understand it needs to be on a dyno to truly see the curve, but the closest one that’s preferable to use is an hour away so I’m going to have to wait for a day of multiple customer cars to go up there. By then I will have made the fuel changes and possibly even added some other things to the engine. My daughter is due to be born any day now so I will admit my focus is going to shift from the car project now that it’s running properly.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,618 Posts
@ 100% duty it’s in the mid -high 12s AFR. It was in the 13s but the engine liked a bit richer in vtec, at least it felt to pull stronger and smoother with more fuel
Depending on the engine efficiency it should be at lambda 0.88 around 235 [email protected] % duty cycle and 50 psi fuel pressure.

One of my current little girls protecting the backyard πŸ˜‚
Seems to be cold outside, she seemingly don't like her job πŸ˜„.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #539 ·
Depending on the engine efficiency it should be at lambda 0.88 around 235 [email protected] % duty cycle and 50 psi fuel pressure.

Seems to be cold outside, she seemingly don't like her job πŸ˜„.
My wife loves dressing her up πŸ˜‚πŸ™„ it was pretty warm in the sun, if I ever wonder where the dogs are I just need to go look in the sunny windows lol. Thanks for the info , I probably won’t be driving much here coming up, but I will be updating the fuel system and scheduling a dyno visit when others are ready πŸ‘

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,618 Posts
Thanks for the info , I probably won’t be driving much here coming up, but I will be updating the fuel system and scheduling a dyno visit when others are ready πŸ‘
Please be aware, the fuel system control of the Hondata KPro isn't accurate enough to change the fuel injector size in hardware and software without any changes of the outcome. Injector dead times would have to be on spot for both, which is most likely not the case. The lower the load and the higher the engine speed, the greater the uncertainty. Closed loop can compensate this, but better safe then sorry and check it out.

521 - 540 of 569 Posts