Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

501 - 520 of 523 Posts

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
Started to put the bumper back on and try to line everything up, the hood will still need some height adjustments and my drivers side fender needs moved a bit.
BA77E160-3DAB-4E06-812F-B2D607220D98.jpeg
46FC6AC3-4891-4795-814D-09DE410BDB38.jpeg
5183AFDA-F6FA-4DD3-91A9-E325D0F0D9C8.jpeg
Overall, not too terrible πŸ€”

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
Faster by feet ? Not with a very pregnant wife in the cold lol ! The roads were just backed up from the stop lights being out and trees etc everywhere.
I forgot your wife is around the 7th or 8th month. Sorry for that. Was my used tense "would...have been faster..." correct?

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #504
I forgot your wife is around the 7th or 8th month. Sorry for that. Was my used tense "would...have been faster..." correct?
She’s due March 2nd, getting very close now. I spent recent weekend time putting together the furniture for the baby’s room and all the equipment πŸ˜…. And yes, the way you phrased the question was correct. In my opinion anyways.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
By far not. Shows a bit of it's potential, enough to wake up big guys for doing an drag attempt. Yeah.
Ya most racing type should know carbon fiber and hood latches when they see it, despite the cars make or model. I am happy it looks like a complete car now, it’s been a damn long time. As far as pressure testing the coolant system, is there a certain range of pressure I should be looking for, and do you know the specifics ? I will continue to poke around google to try and come up with something.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
She’s due March 2nd, getting very close now. I spent recent weekend time putting together the furniture for the baby’s room and all the equipment πŸ˜…. And yes, the way you phrased the question was correct. In my opinion anyways.
That's close to due date. Good luck till then with everything and much patience if needed. The last days can be tougher for both.
Thanks for the grammar feedback.

...As far as pressure testing the coolant system, is there a certain range of pressure I should be looking for, and do you know the specifics?
There are several limits, the first is the overpressure valve cap, which releases pressure at around 0.3 bar relative to atmosphere. Normally you swap this for the tester cap, so next limit is around 2 to 4 bar relative pressure = clamps of the hoses. Your test pressure should be at least below 2 bar, I would recommend around to take the mid of both limits, which would be around 1.15 bar relative to atmosphere.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
That's close to due date. Good luck till then with everything and much patience if needed. The last days can be tougher for both.
Thanks for the grammar feedback.

There are several limits, the first is the overpressure valve cap, which releases pressure at around 0.3 bar relative to atmosphere. Normally you swap this for the tester cap, so next limit is around 2 to 4 bar relative pressure = clamps of the hoses. Your test pressure should be at least below 2 bar, I would recommend around to take the mid of both limits, which would be around 1.15 bar relative to atmosphere.
Thankyou for the well wishes , I will be taking a leave from work for a couple weeks when the time comes.
- Thankyou for the info on the pressure test , notes taken and that is next on my to do list.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
Hood needs polished again πŸ™„ another task for another dayβœ…
3113A9C6-47DF-41B0-ADE1-ADA4DF8C6254.jpeg

Wiped all the bs from the latch install off the bay earlier
E71652B9-F538-444B-B572-2FD215F07FD4.jpeg

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
Hood needs polished again πŸ™„ another task for another dayβœ…
Polishing? Naaaaaahhh. Coolant pressure test. I am looking forward seeing the results πŸ†™!

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
Polishing? Naaaaaahhh. Coolant pressure test. I am looking forward seeing the results πŸ†™!
This should be the priority.
The local parts store wanted $150 rent the kit, so I took some old school advice from a friend and took it out for a drive to try and stir that air bubble around before going that route, sure enough it almost worked lol. The temp got up to 192 briefly while cruising and
Then dropped to 175 and stayed within ten degrees up or down of that temp over 17 miles of local city driving (stop and go at some points ). Fan is set to 185 and I never saw higher than 183 after the initial temp drop. The lowest it got while on that drive was 156 according to kpro. I think there is still a little air trapped as my heat still isn’t as hot as it should be, but the thermostat is definitely opening now with a hot lower hose during and after the drive.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #513
6CD018DA-B6A3-442A-8F26-CE055B84A8E5.jpeg

Out waiting for me lol
CF56EC79-8F8F-4B9A-88AF-A930C14EA1DB.jpeg
Cool readings while driving (after plenty of time ) , AFR was a little rich on tip-in and heavier throttle but cruising and light throttle was almost spot on 14.6 πŸ‘ I made some adjustments to the tsx map that seemed to work out ok, at least to get some initial miles on the cheap oil I have in there now. Before tuning we will be doing a 340 fuel pump, 510cc Chevy 6.0 injectors , new spark plugs and royal purple 5w30 πŸ‘

DAF01CA8-F776-44B6-BCFC-F2E46934C876.jpeg

and a little something to celebrate a truly successful street drive for the first time in years πŸ‘

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
The local parts store wanted $150 rent the kit...
These kits start at $50 on ebay. You may would have asked this guy if he want to refinance his shop by renting parts πŸ˜‚. Acceptable kits are around $70 in the bay. A short description of it: underpressureusury πŸ˜‰

Cool readings while driving (after plenty of time )...and a little something to celebrate a truly successful street drive for the first time in years πŸ‘
Congratulations KBuilt, must be a real happy moment for you. I grin even today thinking back to end of 2019 when I've started the DAMPFHAMMER the first time. I am really happy for you 😊.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #515
These kits start at $50 on ebay. You may would have asked this guy if he want to refinance his shop by renting parts πŸ˜‚. Acceptable kits are around $70 in the bay. A short description of it: underpressureusury πŸ˜‰

Congratulations KBuilt, must be a real happy moment for you. I grin even today thinking back to end of 2019 when I've started the DAMPFHAMMER the first time. I am really happy for you 😊.
ThAnkyou my friend, this coming April will be 3 years since I got the car as a bare shell from a friend after it had been sitting in his garage for multiple years. Last time it was legally on the road was 2014 πŸ˜… I kept expecting something to go wrong , but I was happily proved incorrect.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #516 (Edited)
I like the silver-black-theme flow. Are you going to paint your chassis in that flow too?
Thankyou. The car does have bits of polished silver throughout, ( the billet shifter box, rear lower control arms, etc ) but whenever the time does come for it to go to a paint booth I will likely restore it to the original black, if not a nicer black from a different car. My suspension components are green, red , blue etc πŸ™„ so when that happens its likely I will remove it all and Powdercoat or paint to one silver color.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
@LotusElise i was watching a cam swap comparison video from the Tegiwa and was wondering if you could elaborate on this type of dyno reading ? Is this normal for a k20a2 to make low 200whp overseas ?

C1AD9ED1-1A88-4C51-8E9F-BFC772F81837.jpeg

I find these numbers to all be low, or is it just me and my American ways lol ? Only 9 hp gain at the flywheel from DC , skunk2 drop in cams doesn’t seem correct to me.

Β·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #519
To follow up that post, I believe this is from the Netherlands , same engine and intake manifold , somehow it makes 263whp. Even if that dynapack reads a bit high that is quite the difference between the two ? I zoomed in on his monitor the top number on the graph is 262 so I believe it did make that power. Ron 98 is somewhat equivalent to 93 oct or much higher rating?

501 - 520 of 523 Posts