Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

481 - 500 of 525 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
I didn’t hit the limiter but let it see WOT several times and everything felt great.
I see one grinning :D. What lambda values did you see over the closed loop control area of lambda?

These were my values while idling after I got back from my short but spirited drive, the IAT stays pretty cool, outside temp was just under 50 F.
It's always worth putting effort in that topic, it helps allot for power later on when the engine is operated. Well decided CAI 🆙.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
I see one grinning :D. What lambda values did you see over the closed loop control area of lambda?

It's always worth putting effort in that topic, it helps allot for power later on when the engine is operated. Well decided CAI 🆙.
I have lean protection set to 13.5:1 but the default was 3 inches ? I took some data and it seems pretty funky to me , also the lean protection kicked in multiple times today , but yesterday at 14.5:1 it did not , I tried adding fuel to the upper rpm tables and it still did it,if you have the time do you think you could look over these logs and help me understand what’s going on ? Stock injectors, stock fuel pump although I will be putting a 340lph in soon, more than likely with larger injectors.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
I have lean protection set to 13.5:1 but the default was 3 inches ? I took some data and it seems pretty funky to me , also the lean protection kicked in multiple times today , but yesterday at 14.5:1 it did not , I tried adding fuel to the upper rpm tables and it still did it,if you have the time do you think you could look over these logs and help me understand what’s going on ? Stock injectors, stock fuel pump although I will be putting a 340lph in soon, more than likely with larger injectors.

I will say the car only had around a gallon -1.5 in the tank , fuel gauge is pretty much saying empty. I had previously drained the tank and then idled the car numerous times to try and get all the old fuel out possible, then put $5 of 92 oct. in around 1.75 gal. Maybe the low fuel caused the lean condition ?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
Ok, if you sent me the cal. I will show you how to setup the lean protection right.
  • Your engine leans out during tip in
  • You run a 50° VTC map, but have a locked VTC gear
  • TPS need to be calibrated
  • Fuel maps are partly totally off aimed lambda, need definitely a tune before drive around
  • VTC closed loop control is out of optimum, could be oil pressure/viscosity or parameter setup of it. It oscillates like an old cow tail.
  • ECU has likely a ground issue, some sensor values just stick in place.
  • Lean limit protection works very well 🆙

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
Ok, if you sent me the cal. I will show you how to setup the lean protection right.
  • Fuel maps are partly totally off aimed lambda, need definitely a tune before drive around
  • VTC closed loop control is out of optimum, could be oil pressure/viscosity or parameter setup of it. It oscillates like an old cow tail.
Thank you for looking at that , and yes I forgot to add I am on the stock 25 degree vtc gear, and that the map is for 45 I believe. The tps was saying 83% when the throttle body was held open by hand so that does need some attention. I am using some cheap 5w-30 just to run the first 15-20 miles or so before changing to a nicer oil /new spark plugs. You mentioned seeing the vtc moving around too much?

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
I also have several things disabled in kpro, but I thought all my necessary sensors were working, the only error code I get is for the speed sensor which is because I have a base model auto ecu which has to read the speed differently. I will check over my grounds again, the only one for the ecu is on the valve cover as far as the engine harness goes , correct ? I have 3 others aside from that on transmission, the front of the block, and to the valve cover.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
I did some more reading and it looks like having a
Map with higher Vtc than the gear can achieve messes with stuff, I’ll be changing that today. I chose the map I did because it was set for a race header and cai for a k24a2, but it also has a 45 gear in the tune.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
Thank you for looking at that , and yes I forgot to add I am on the stock 25 degree vtc gear, and that the map is for 45 I believe. The tps was saying 83% when the throttle body was held open by hand so that does need some attention. I am using some cheap 5w-30 just to run the first 15-20 miles or so before changing to a nicer oil /new spark plugs. You mentioned seeing the vtc moving around too much?
Yes, TPS need a calibration. Yes, VTC is moving to much, as I mentioned before, the closed loop controler can't find the smoothness, oil viscosity or pressure could also cause this beside a wrong setup of its PID parameters. Cleaning the VTC spool shaft and filter is duty.

I also have several things disabled in kpro, but I thought all my necessary sensors were working, the only error code I get is for the speed sensor which is because I have a base model auto ecu which has to read the speed differently. I will check over my grounds again, the only one for the ecu is on the valve cover as far as the engine harness goes , correct ? I have 3 others aside from that on transmission, the front of the block, and to the valve cover.
Technical Information K-Series Engine Ground (hondata.com), the KPro does reduce Voltage of each channel, which makes it more sensible to grounding issues.

I chose the map I did because it was set for a race header and cai for a k24a2, but it also has a 45 gear in the tune.
You need to tune that calibration anyway :). It is partly way above optimum (leans in WOT to 0.96 in lambda, enriches in WOT to 0.83 in lambda, and so on). I wouldn't drive around if not necessary for tuning to improve that situation.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Yes, TPS need a calibration. Yes, VTC is moving to much, as I mentioned before, the closed loop controler can't find the smoothness, oil viscosity or pressure could also cause this beside a wrong setup of its PID parameters. Cleaning the VTC spool shaft and filter is duty.

Technical Information K-Series Engine Ground (hondata.com), the KPro does reduce Voltage of each channel, which makes it more sensible to grounding issues.

You need to tune that calibration anyway :). It is partly way above optimum (leans in WOT to 0.96 in lambda, enriches in WOT to 0.83 in lambda, and so on). I wouldn't drive around if not necessary for tuning to improve that situation.
Thankyou for looking at the data, I appreciate it. I will check the vtc valve and screen after work today , and upload a map that only utilizes 25 degrees vtc. As for the tps im hoping some slight manual adjustment will
Get it into range.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
I ordered this coolant funnel in hopes it would raise my high point enough to get whatever trapped air is in my system out, it was leaking water everywhere until I used a few generic o rings on the base 👍 Amazon $18 kit from oemtools ✅.
A6F3A6F7-2086-4452-B2A3-7869EE7CDB23.jpeg

Later when it’s a more reasonable time I will try to bleed the system again and get some warm air flowing through my heater. We had a sort of ice storm last night so there won’t be any chances for street tuning until a few days pass. Hoping to get the heat issue fixed and get an alignment appt made so I’m ready for the roads when they dry out 🤞

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
47666F4F-5EBF-451E-B2CF-96D8055223CE.jpeg

Gaskets for the exhaust came yesterday 👍 should clean the sound up even more, in my opinion it doesn’t get much better than a well put together 3” exhaust. Also @LotusElise thanks for the suggestion about the ground, the ecu one was slightly loose, just enough to slide back and forth. I applied a small bit of sealant to remedy it coming loose again 👍

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
CD8F6048-8C73-4E79-80AF-D95E3A0BB7A0.jpeg

After ECT rising to 215 at one point , the temps finally lowered down to a steady 190-192 after idling well over 30-40 minutes. The fan was running and temp was holding steady with the cap on, although my heat is still lukewarm at best and the lower radiator hose is still cool. Definitely head scratching over here lol.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
What started as just cutting a little of the webbing to clear my throttle bracket turned into taking care of the aerocatch hood latch install ✅😅 I’ve been putting this off for some time and wanted to get the car more buttoned up. This was my first time attempting this, definitely hit the nerves cutting into my VIS hood 😷 but once you drill that first hole there’s no going back ! My advice would be to lower the latch about 1/8 inch closer to the front of the hood than you think it needs to be. The latches end up angling downward a bit more than expected. I still need to cut and level the rubber bump stops and get the fitment just right, but for today I’m done 😂
C504270B-056F-49CF-8257-CC1D67CFDCC5.jpeg
989507C7-FCEA-435A-BCA5-1AA2D7C6A392.jpeg
FE761110-C1EB-4834-9500-99F488F2C142.jpeg
F5C90B29-1C64-4040-B2F9-156B603025C6.jpeg
D04763B8-4E40-475F-9820-7AD1FB4D909C.jpeg
008977A1-6312-4920-933A-F473810912CC.jpeg

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
Nice hood keys 🆙. Does it now clear out the TB things?

Also @LotusElise thanks for the suggestion about the ground, the ecu one was slightly loose, just enough to slide back and forth. I applied a small bit of sealant to remedy it coming loose again 👍
You are welcome. It's a weak link of the Hondata Emulator. It seeks for best grounding :D.

After ECT rising to 215 at one point , the temps finally lowered down to a steady 190-192 after idling well over 30-40 minutes. The fan was running and temp was holding steady with the cap on, although my heat is still lukewarm at best and the lower radiator hose is still cool. Definitely head scratching over here lol.
Sorry to read, you couldn't still solve it. I guess I've already suggested doing a pressure test 🤔?! I think that is a straight forward analysis you can do. Pressurize it and listen if there is any air leak in the coolant system. If the lower radiator is getting not warm it still contains air as there must be a dead end without any coolant convection. Beside a unlikely wrong designed coolant inlet plenum the likeliness of air is much bigger. There is a leak anywhere, maybe even in the radiator.

Did you leakdown tested already your engine? I also have the feeling I've asked this several times before...anyway, time for doing some real investigation action, Sir.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
Nice hood keys 🆙. Does it now clear out the TB things?

You are welcome. It's a weak link of the Hondata Emulator. It seeks for best grounding :D.

Sorry to read, you couldn't still solve it. I guess I've already suggested doing a pressure test 🤔?! I think that is a straight forward analysis you can do. Pressurize it and listen if there is any air leak in the coolant system. If the lower radiator is getting not warm it still contains air as there must be a dead end without any coolant convection. Beside a unlikely wrong designed coolant inlet plenum the likeliness of air is much bigger. There is a leak anywhere, maybe even in the radiator.

Did you leakdown tested already your engine? I also have the feeling I've asked this several times before...anyway, time for doing some real investigation action, Sir.
Yes I also ended up cutting some sections away on the underside of the hood , I figure down the road it will likely have a big intake manifold so it’s going to have to happen anyways. I’ll cover it with heat tape to match the rest as neatly as I can. I’m going to see about locating a pressure testing kit today, there’s been an ice storm of sorts the last few days here so I’ve been staying home for the most part doing what I can in the garage and around the house. The roads are filled with trees and branches etc. $hit everywhere basically 😂

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
I’m going to see about locating a pressure testing kit today, there’s been an ice storm of sorts the last few days here so I’ve been staying home for the most part doing what I can in the garage and around the house. The roads are filled with trees and branches etc. $hit everywhere basically 😂
Very good approach and sorry for your local weather. We had in mid to nothern part of Germany a few days ago ice rain, up to 400 mm new snow and temperatures down to -16 °C. Actually we have here 1 °C, a blue sky and temperature will increase the next days to about 10 °C at max and some rain is forcasted 😢, snow will melt away. Therefore today last change to sled the small mountains here with the family. Hope your weather will get more calm so you can proceed the investigation.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
Very good approach and sorry for your local weather. We had in mid to nothern part of Germany a few days ago ice rain, up to 400 mm new snow and temperatures down to -16 °C. Actually we have here 1 °C, a blue sky and temperature will increase the next days to about 10 °C at max and some rain is forcasted 😢, snow will melt away. Therefore today last change to sled the small mountains here with the family. Hope your weather will get more calm so you can proceed the investigation.
The weather actually cleared up, it’s the damage that’s screwing everything
AB9FB732-EA84-4CAD-8653-644389929C32.jpeg

this is from a local article, pretty much everywhere has trees like this. We went to get groceries yesterday and took almost 30 min to go 2 miles😷 funny how a little ice destroys everything overnight.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
7,246 Posts
The weather actually cleared up, it’s the damage that’s screwing everything...this is from a local article, pretty much everywhere has trees like this. We went to get groceries yesterday and took almost 30 min to go 2 miles😷 funny how a little ice destroys everything overnight.
Sorry to read that. Not sure about the right tense. Let's try it. Would you have been faster by feed?

481 - 500 of 525 Posts