Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

281 - 300 of 324 Posts

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
No I don’t know him personally,just been an avid Honda YouTuber for 10 or so years. I followed a lot of the East coast guys in my early days and still currently.
Yeah, good developments on both, east and west coast. Not sure about in between 😆. Joking, there are a lot of companies and Garageisties (used by Enzo Ferrari for the guys which does race development in their garage and still beat OEM's) doing great 1/4 mile cars. I would love to compete them with an NA version. Just miss the money to do so. We will start in the boosted club with our 1200 hp-Quattro-drivetrain in a 4WD Golf.

...i had actually just watched this one not long ago is why the difference stuck out to me. On another note this is one incredible build 👍
Aaaaahhhh...love that sound. The tuning as a story, nice and interesting, but not very likely done by a tuner work approach. If 40 whp are missed VE has to improve substantially by tuning VTC. But most 400 whp engine don't have no VTC and VTEC anymore. So fuel and ignition timing may be left to be off optimum that largely...not the best approach by finding this on a WOT run through the revv range. Too risky (knock, leaning, ...) to damage the engine. I am curious what were the measures on that specific engine, maybe he adjusted overlap of the cams by adjusting center lines?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Yeah, good developments on both, east and west coast. Not sure about in between 😆. Joking, there are a lot of companies and Garageisties (used by Enzo Ferrari for the guys which does race development in their garage and still beat OEM's) doing great 1/4 mile cars. I would love to compete them with an NA version. Just miss the money to do so. We will start in the boosted club with our 1200 hp-Quattro-drivetrain in a 4WD Golf.

Aaaaahhhh...love that sound. The tuning as a story, nice and interesting, but not very likely done by a tuner work approach. If 40 whp are missed VE has to improve substantially by tuning VTC. But most 400 whp engine don't have no VTC and VTEC anymore. So fuel and ignition timing may be left to be off optimum that largely...not the best approach by finding this on a WOT run through the revv range. Too risky (knock, leaning, ...) to damage the engine. I am curious what were the measures on that specific engine, maybe he adjusted overlap of the cams by adjusting center lines?
I honestly have no idea, very secretive about what’s going on inside the engine. From. What I gathered it’s a stock k24 bottom end (whether that means oem 87mm bore only , or completely oem shortblock I’m not sure) with a crazy built head and 20% nitro meth mix. 400 Whp seems very high for 10.5 compression if it is oem pistons in there , but I’m not sure of the limits there as far as how much power can be made on the stock CR.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
I honestly have no idea, very secretive about what’s going on inside the engine. From. What I gathered it’s a stock k24 bottom end (whether that means oem 87mm bore only , or completely oem shortblock I’m not sure) with a crazy built head and 20% nitro meth mix. 400 Whp seems very high for 10.5 compression if it is oem pistons in there , but I’m not sure of the limits there as far as how much power can be made on the stock CR.
It definitely sounded like vtec was locked I doubt it’s still a 3 lobe motor as you stated most race engines have lost Vtc , vtec , or both.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
You mean a Nitromethan-Methan-mix of 20:80? Oh, didn't know it is a such an odd engine setup. Like Roger Rabbit and Jessica. Not saying that Jessica stands not for the block LOL :D.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
It definitely sounded like vtec was locked I doubt it’s still a 3 lobe motor as you stated most race engines have lost Vtc , vtec , or both.
With that engine part mix everything could be possible...just wow. Apropos wow, did you pick up already your header and exhaust?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
With that engine part mix everything could be possible...just wow. Apropos wow, did you pick up already your header and exhaust?
Yessir , just the header though. I got an RCREW from a member on here a short while ago. I’m still gathering funds before i order everything for the exhaust. Parts and labor were looking at 600+ 🙄 I’m sure it will be worth it, I don’t want a car that sounds like 💩

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
Yessir , just the header though. I got an RCREW from a member on here a short while ago. I’m still gathering funds before i order everything for the exhaust. Parts and labor were looking at 600+ 🙄 I’m sure it will be worth it, I don’t want a car that sounds like 💩
Definitely. I discussed an exhaust setup of an rare Lexus IS-F with an V8 engine. At had a drone noise at around 2000-2500 rpm after the guy fabbed one for it. He is a real header welding master, especially for Turbo applications. He asked me to get rid of the drone noise, still a working process, but I think we are on the right way. Anyway, it is his own car and beside the better power curve the drone noise makes him so unsatisfied. He lost the fun to drive it. Exhaust tone is a very sensitive thing. Investing here at the right company where the guys know their stuff is a good thing 🆙.

Thanks for the reminder concerning the exhaust 🆙.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Definitely. I discussed an exhaust setup of an rare Lexus IS-F with an V8 engine. At had a drone noise at around 2000-2500 rpm after the guy fabbed one for it. He is a real header welding master, especially for Turbo applications. He asked me to get rid of the drone noise, still a working process, but I think we are on the right way. Anyway, it is his own car and beside the better power curve the drone noise makes him so unsatisfied. He lost the fun to drive it. Exhaust tone is a very sensitive thing. Investing here at the right company where the guys know their stuff is a good thing 🆙.

I’m thinking the 3” kteller kit, a resonator , and then the vibrant street power muffler with a turndown added onto it for my exhaust. Probably will utilize v band clamps as well. The is-F is one of my favorite super cars , the noise it makes!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #290

How do you plan on reducing the cabin drone ? More resonance ? Or inline mufflers of some type. I wonder if the metal itself whether it be stainless steel or aluminum or titanium is more prone to different noise characteristics.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
How do you plan on reducing the cabin drone ? More resonance ? Or inline mufflers of some type. I wonder if the metal itself whether it be stainless steel or aluminum or titanium is more prone to different noise characteristics.
I had that problem when I did 3" pipe, so what I did is place high-low cat to stop the weird noise the exhaust made.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
I’m thinking the 3” kteller kit, a resonator , and then the vibrant street power muffler with a turndown added onto it for my exhaust. Probably will utilize v band clamps as well.
Want to see pictures :p.

The is-F is one of my favorite super cars , the noise it makes!
It's a sleeper car, beating the sh...🥳 out of any M3. The semi-automatic 8 gear-gearbox is one of the fastest shifting gearboxes I know, less then 40 ms per shift. It is so performant from of the shelf, really impressing. My friend just changed the intake manifold for a custom one and build a full exhaust system for it. Tuning it is pretty challenging. The ECU security is very high and only few afforded the crack to get it tuned. For me it doesn't work out, to less in Germany to invest in that business. But I would really like as this engine is a piece of cake.

Good questions KBuilt. The resonance of the double floating absorber type muffler is our suspicious. Once the muffler oscillate in a frequency where the chassis also get in resonance this can cause drone noises. Material stiffness plays a role on that. But there is no rule less stiffer or more stiffer material or thickness helps, it depends on the design also. We will see...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Want to see pictures :p.

It's a sleeper car, beating the sh...🥳 out of any M3. The semi-automatic 8 gear-gearbox is one of the fastest shifting gearboxes I know, less then 40 ms per shift. It is so performant from of the shelf, really impressing. My friend just changed the intake manifold for a custom one and build a full exhaust system for it. Tuning it is pretty challenging. The ECU security is very high and only few afforded the crack to get it tuned. For me it doesn't work out, to less in Germany to invest in that business. But I would really like as this engine is a piece of cake.

Good questions KBuilt. The resonance of the double floating absorber type muffler is our suspicious. Once the muffler oscillate in a frequency where the chassis also get in resonance this can cause drone noises. Material stiffness plays a role on that. But there is no rule less stiffer or more stiffer material or thickness helps, it depends on the design also. We will see...
Yes I would like to see pictures if you have them. That’s a shame they are difficult to get inside the software , are the engines very complicated with variable timing etc ? Sounds like your friend has a bit of play money to own a car like that and then upgrading parts on it 👍👍 the owner of the company I work for drives a 2015 v10 Audi R8 , the carbon fiber competition package. Reported 0-60 is in the 3.2 second territory although I’m sure that’s at a prepped track with Audi’s race driver in the seat. The noises v10 make are intoxicating, I only hope to be able to race the car once I add more power down the road.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
Yes I would like to see pictures if you have them. That’s a shame they are difficult to get inside the software , are the engines very complicated with variable timing etc ? Sounds like your friend has a bit of play money to own a car like that and then upgrading parts on it...
The handling of the SW isn't the issue, the issue is to challenge the security doors. Every OEM put more or less security levels on the ECU to make it difficult or "impossible" to enter the code to alter it. Lexus did a good job and there are too less business cases for Lexus for the aftermarket to invest to crack them. There are some available, but they want to see money in the range of two tunes.

...the owner of the company I work for drives a 2015 v10 Audi R8 , the carbon fiber competition package. Reported 0-60 is in the 3.2 second territory although I’m sure that’s at a prepped track with Audi’s race driver in the seat. The noises v10 make are intoxicating, I only hope to be able to race the car once I add more power down the road.
Very nice, 3.2 s for the 0-60 mph is Hammer in the back. Simulations says lower 4 s for my dampfhammered Lotus 😜.Yes the V10 noise is amazing, especially if it goes above 8500 rpm. The V10 F1 engines where the best sounding engines for me, especially the last versions, which reached 19,000 rpm during racing.

Niiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 🥳

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
The handling of the SW isn't the issue, the issue is to challenge the security doors. Every OEM put more or less security levels on the ECU to make it difficult or "impossible" to enter the code to alter it. Lexus did a good job and there are too less business cases for Lexus for the aftermarket to invest to crack them. There are some available, but they want to see money in the range of two tunes.

View attachment 102987

Very nice, 3.2 s for the 0-60 mph is Hammer in the back. Simulations says lower 4 s for my dampfhammered Lotus 😜.Yes the V10 noise is amazing, especially if it goes above 8500 rpm. The V10 F1 engines where the best sounding engines for me, especially the last versions, which reached 19,000 rpm during racing.

Wow ! I had no idea they revved that high , I figured 12-13k but 19 is insane. The exhaust work looks very nice 👍👍👍

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Small update with an issue -_-
I was able to get my conversion harness routed and plugged in (will redo it behind the dash at a future time , I want to get the engine started ) and also fitted the r crew header fully. The clearance is very tight, almost too tight at the head flange , and unfortunately I am unable to install the o2 sensor with the bung at its current angle. The sensor hits the bottom of the car whether I try with the collector on or off the header. Probably will have to relocate the bung at an angle, and then add a second bung for my aem wideband to read Off of. It is a small snag, but slightly irritating nonetheless.
913930B1-8E8C-4E5D-9DC9-C277D598CB4C.jpeg
A9F946B1-9DDE-4E10-AE52-C6CA4C6FAC6D.jpeg

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #297

View attachment 102987

I am looking forward to seeing your lotus on the road, sounds like a real road machine. The engine development is extensive, how high is max rpm for the dampfhammer ?

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Small update with an issue -_-
I was able to get my conversion harness routed and plugged in (will redo it behind the dash at a future time , I want to get the engine started ) and also fitted the r crew header fully. The clearance is very tight, almost too tight at the head flange , and unfortunately I am unable to install the o2 sensor with the bung at its current angle. The sensor hits the bottom of the car whether I try with the collector on or off the header. Probably will have to relocate the bung at an angle, and then add a second bung for my aem wideband to read Off of. It is a small snag, but slightly irritating nonetheless. View attachment 102988 View attachment 102990
Tight fit for sure but you can get that bung easily relocated by a shop of a buddy that has a tig welder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Tight fit for sure but you can get that bung easily relocated by a shop of a buddy that has a tig welder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya I’m taking the collector to a friend to get it fixed up when he has the time 👍 Another thing I’m dealing with is the charge harness and engine harness have different plugs on them ..? Lol 😡

948529F0-FF18-443C-A620-EBB046BA6D4A.jpeg

type s charge harness ,base model engine harness. Another oddity is that my engine harness has the starter signal wire, as well as the charge harness ? Lol

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
IAT sensor fitted and supplied brackets Installed for the hybrid racing intake 👍
01698DA1-EA3B-4D64-9BEE-C401E4B76E29.jpeg
1A82141B-65CC-47A6-9415-0A5582CF09A1.jpeg

281 - 300 of 324 Posts