Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

261 - 280 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Nice man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Small little things lol with the weather getting worse I will have more time to work on the coupe. But for now I’m enjoying staying busy at work, sure helps the project funds out. The hybrid intake should be here early this coming week and my yonaka axles arrived yesterday. The last missing piece is getting my exhaust built 👍

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #263 (Edited)
Good news after a long day at work, the intake arrived early ! I am pleased with the quality already, and it even came with a little breather filter for the valve cover ✅🎉 also got my valex racing clutch line (k motor one came with the wrong fittings and was returned ) and I’m much happier with this one. The fitment of the hybrid racing cai is superb 👍👍👍
09B3B7EB-1F95-46EC-911C-89F674475C65.jpeg
19E63F46-9AB4-4F95-8B9B-DBA9E4DE97EA.jpeg
9D6641B7-D148-441C-A9BA-651B7A39CB58.jpeg
139653B9-4779-414A-8EAF-B5B3CBC65D65.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Got some decent progress in today, tps and map sensor wiring is converted to b series plugs 👍 almost have the engine harness finished up.
91A13D82-C605-4042-BFB6-4E5F3B6805B6.jpeg
74D07ADE-5158-4E5A-9275-ECE2F83B44C6.jpeg
F23647D6-83F0-4639-8B81-4EC11080D5F4.jpeg
53378FB1-8199-41CA-A9EC-F8044A4EC77D.jpeg

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
Got some decent progress in today, tps and map sensor wiring is converted to b series plugs 👍 almost have the engine harness finished up.
The harness looks awesome and clean KBuilt!
The black of the HR intake just follows your black-silver-theme, very nice integration of that. I am looking forward to see what it can support regarding IAT's in your hot climate area, if you don't mind to share later.
Just out of curiosity, are you going to use the cold start functionality? I just see you plugged the Thermo-Valve for the hot air support of the injectors.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
The black of the HR intake just follows your black-silver-theme, very nice integration of that. I am looking forward to see what it can support regarding IAT's in your hot climate area, if you don't mind to share later.
Just out of curiosity, are you going to use the cold start functionality? I just see you plugged the Thermo-Valve for the hot air support of the injectors.
Ya I will definitely share IAT results, I’ve read others who have used it saw a noticeable drop in air temps compared to an aluminum intake. I do admit the styling matching my engine theme helped make my choice as well 👍 is the thermo valve the port with the cap on it in the middle of the rbc flange (close to the ground on valve cover)? When I got the rbc it was plugged there already. I won’t be running any coolant to the manifold besides the recirculating port that goes to the thermo housing, which I may eventually cut off and use the k tuned adapter piece to have my intake coolant free. I had a buddy weld over the TB coolant port on the water pipe as well.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
ThAnkyou for the compliment, I am not terribly skilled with wiring but I try to tape things up as neatly as possible. The budget didn’t quite call for 5-600$ into an engine harness lol

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
@LotusElise i came across this testing video and several others of the k24a on an engine dyno and thought the results were pretty impressive. 8700 rpm with the balance shaft Oil pump ! The stock block with skunk2 ultra 2 cams and the itb reaches 300 flwhp with the rbb head 👍

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
ThAnkyou for the compliment, I am not terribly skilled with wiring but I try to tape things up as neatly as possible. The budget didn’t quite call for 5-600$ into an engine harness lol
I purchased this to do some cleanup for wiring and it was pretty cheap for the amount you get, $13.99 for 100ft

100ft - 1/2 inch PET Expandable... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074GMNW7T?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #271

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion I may order that. How did it fit over the 2 and 3 wire sensor sections ? And did you shrink wrap the ends/is the loom split down the middle or slide over
There is multiple diameter you can buy ranging from 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 inch and up, its sleeve over and you can shrink ends or just zip tie it.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
@LotusElise i came across this testing video and several others of the k24a on an engine dyno and thought the results were pretty impressive. 8700 rpm with the balance shaft Oil pump ! The stock block with skunk2 ultra 2 cams and the itb reaches 300 flwhp with the rbb head 👍
Yes, that's a really nice video of Richard Holdener. I like the kind of selling his "products", I have to learn this too. The mix of his nasty loud voice with the short video sequences does impress the consumer with action and information. That't good entertainment.

Despite that, I don't like the engine setup. Stock compression on a SK2 U2 cam is questionable in my view. What is building engines about? Squeezing out the last Unicorn out of it by increasing the engine speed almost 29 m/s piston mean speed on low thermal expansion casted pistons? The torque output is at maximum 88 flwftlb/liter, which is a bit above the 76 flwftlb/liter of the stock engine and lower as the 101 ftlb/liter of the DAMPFHAMMER. Not bad either. Ok it cost for ITB, H, cams, valve springs around 4k USD new or let's say the ITB's and H are used about 2.5k USD plus 500 USD cheap tuning. So minimum 3k USD for a 100 hp upgrade. That's not bad. But the engine can't be driven that way on circuit and endurance racing. Maybe drag days and DD, so hey, maybe that fits to most of the audience. Mine it is not. I would use at least smaller cams.

BTW, did he say anything about engine safety regarding engine speed, VTC and durability?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Yes, that's a really nice video of Richard Holdener. I like the kind of selling his "products", I have to learn this too. The mix of his nasty loud voice with the short video sequences does impress the consumer with action and information. That't good entertainment.

Despite that, I don't like the engine setup. Stock compression on a SK2 U2 cam is questionable in my view. What is building engines about? Squeezing out the last Unicorn out of it by increasing the engine speed almost 29 m/s piston mean speed on low thermal expansion casted pistons? The torque output is at maximum 88 flwftlb/liter, which is a bit above the 76 flwftlb/liter of the stock engine and lower as the 101 ftlb/liter of the DAMPFHAMMER. Not bad either. Ok it cost for ITB, H, cams, valve springs around 4k USD new or let's say the ITB's and H are used about 2.5k USD plus 500 USD cheap tuning. So minimum 3k USD for a 100 hp upgrade. That's not bad. But the engine can't be driven that way on circuit and endurance racing. Maybe drag days and DD, so hey, maybe that fits to most of the audience. Mine it is not. I would use at least smaller cams.

BTW, did he say anything about engine safety regarding engine speed, VTC and durability?
I think he’s just testing how much peak power he can get out of it with the stock shortblock. I’m sure the ultra 2 cams would perform better with a 12.5:1 CR block. He was tuning vtc but it still has only the 25 degree gear on the engine if I’m not mistaken.he also mentioned only a few psi of oil pressure loss past 8500 rpm with the balance shaft pump which I thought was interesting , im sure on the street or the track the pump wouldn’t perform the same, I can’t imagine those shafts taking 17,000 rpm for long.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
I think he’s just testing how much peak power he can get out of it with the stock shortblock.
We have a nice thread to that topic (s. Post only K24a2's Stock Block, pushed to its Limit...)

...I’m sure the ultra 2 cams would perform better with a 12.5:1 CR block. He was tuning vtc but it still has only the 25 degree gear on the engine if I’m not mistaken.he also mentioned only a few psi of oil pressure loss past 8500 rpm with the balance shaft pump which I thought was interesting , im sure on the street or the track the pump wouldn’t perform the same, I can’t imagine those shafts taking 17,000 rpm for long.
Well said KBuilt. The 25° VTC limit likely limits also the max. torque as long as ptv-clearance are no issue. That's good to know, thanks for the information. Regarding the engine speed and all related issues, it is definitely to high for most applications. Maybe one can have fun for longer if one uses that potential only for acceleration and the tune is in very good condition as well as the engine healthiness. A really nice K24 build is done e.g. by debiral, but I believe I already mentioned that all previously :D.

Maybe some newer information...LOL :D

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
We have a nice thread to that topic (s. Post only K24a2's Stock Block, pushed to its Limit...)

Well said KBuilt. The 25° VTC limit likely limits also the max. torque as long as ptv-clearance are no issue. That's good to know, thanks for the information. Regarding the engine speed and all related issues, it is definitely to high for most applications. Maybe one can have fun for longer if one uses that potential only for acceleration and the tune is in very good condition as well as the engine healthiness. A really nice K24 build is done e.g. by debiral, but I believe I already mentioned that all previously :D.

Maybe some newer information...LOL :D

Wow I never would have guessed that much power was waiting to be let out in the motor just from changing oils.. very informative and by the looks of yosolo and the camera quality it was a pretty old nyce1 video. One of my favorite channels in fact, lots of good racing content especially the all motor cars ✅

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
6,578 Posts
Wow I never would have guessed that much power was waiting to be let out in the motor just from changing oils...
Oh, oil temperature alone has an bigger effect than those 4 different oils. We made huge test rows on industrial engines with 4.5 bar of boost with engine oil temperature and different kind of oil brands and grades. Impressive. But yeah, oil ingrediencies have an effect on engine performance. You even can measure it on cruise loads with and low speeds where the effect is much smaller (sort of weak power to 2 friction power to engine speed correlation) on the fuel consumption.

...very informative and by the looks of yosolo and the camera quality it was a pretty old nyce1 video.
You know him better or even personally? Doesn't Yosolo live on the other end of the country (east coast)?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Slightly off topic but, what's the failure mechanism for engine speeds exceeding 25m/s average piston speed? Provided the rods, rod bolts and pistons are mechanically strong enough? Is it just a lubrication barrier issue on the piston and rings?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Oh, oil temperature alone has an bigger effect than those 4 different oils. We made huge test rows on industrial engines with 4.5 bar of boost with engine oil temperature and different kind of oil brands and grades. Impressive. But yeah, oil ingrediencies have an effect on engine performance. You even can measure it on cruise loads with and low speeds where the effect is much smaller (sort of weak power to 2 friction power to engine speed correlation) on the fuel consumption.

You know him better or even personally? Doesn't Yosolo live on the other end of the country (east coast)?
No I don’t know him personally,just been an avid Honda YouTuber for 10 or so years. I followed a lot of the East coast guys in my early days and still currently.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
@LotusElise i had actually just watched this one not long ago is why the difference stuck out to me. On another note this is one incredible build 👍

261 - 280 of 324 Posts