Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, this forum has alot of sections, so i apolagize if this is in the wrong spot. but i have an 00 civic coupe and recently swapped in a k20a2 into it. alot of people did theres themselves i see, and i wish i had the time to do it and learn some things and make it look like a cleaner swap (it still looks nice and i love it ALOT though) i need a primary o2 sensor minus the couple other parts i want just because i want them and not need them.

at first we (the shop and I) thought maybe it had to do with the fuel pressure regulator not returning the fuel like it should, which caused my car to not start up at first crank, sometimes it would, but sometimes it would just keep on going. but a new regulator fixed THAT problem.

but also along with that problem, before we put the new regulator on, the car would have a slight jerk to it while going at constant speeds. like every second or 2 the car would slightly jump, barely noticable. also, at WOT through out all the gears, and up to 5th at 6500 rpm's, about 120ish (i forget exactly) the car bogs down, and not just a small bogging, and when i switch to 6th, the car still bogs down. after getting the new regulator, like i said, it fixed the startup but its still making my car do the bogging and crap.

ive PMed a couple people before about this, but i would like everyones opinion on it. Do you think not having a working O2 sensor would do that?

and i know how alot of people like to see what everyone who just joined the site has. and its posted on another thread already.
http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13384&page=10

i know i would love to have kpro, and of course i need a primary o2 sensor, and id like an aftermarket fuel rail. just those would make me feel complete.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, im just using the stock ecu. and yes, i dont have a working o2 sensor. im going to buy one here shortly

·
Infinite levels to this..
25,373 Posts
you need an o2 sensor, kpro, and a tune. simple as that. with those three things you will sort everything out more than likely. it makes it harder on everyone to diagnose a problem when people only do a half way job or a three fourths job on their swap. kpro and a tune can help sort everything out but a tune needs to be done correctly with an o2 sensor. stay away from 120ish to begin with until you have all the kinks worked out. you may wind up harming the engine by running it hard when it's not running right. don't chance it. play it smart.

it sounds like you are very close to having the swap running well. don't stop now :up::up:

a fuel rail helps as well but i believe that isn't your problem. not saying you shouldn't get one either though.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so what if i got the o2 sensor, and its working. you think with the stock ecu i will still have the same problem at that speed? i know you said its hard to diagnose until i get the problem sorted out. but what do you think? im mostly asking for help because the swap cost so much, and im still paying the loan. lol

·
25,373 Posts
you need kpro and you need an o2 sensor. depending on your funds i would get the sensor first since it's cheaper. i can't stress how important it is to get a kpro for tuning purposes and for diagnosing problems to your engine. it's a lifetime investment. i am not gonna say the o2 is what will fix everything cause i can't truely know. the fact that you dont have one is making your computer run rich no doubt and im sure that is not playing very good with your engine.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm. i was kinda hoping id still be good without kpro for a while and the o2 sensor will stop the bogging and running rich. because im thinking of ordering the sensor today. should i just get one made by denso or are the ones bossman selling the same?

·
25,373 Posts
ask him yourself. bossman is a cool guy and definitely not a scammer. i highly doubt he would sell anything that doesn't work. just get them through him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You definately need KPRO.. But, get the sensor and Im sure your car will run better. But, the brains of the operation is KPRO

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks. im just going to get the sensor first and see what happens. thanks for the link on the cheaper kpro. no one ever experienced the same problem i have before? or ran their car like mine just using the stock ecu, and without a working primary o2 sensor? just wondering if there was anyone else and if that bogging down happened to them

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh, another thing. the shop who did my swap said , "you have nothing on your car to tune" or something like that. and your telling me i should get it tuned properly when i get the o2 sensor. or are you saying that along with the kpro? (to jones83)

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
I have a brand new o2 sensor wideband needed for tunning and If you need it I can get it out monday. o2 sensor is need to get a tune to work properly. I would get a brand new one since it will last you a good 80-90k. Buying a used one is a mistake because you don't know when it will go out..

let me know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yess get it from bossman...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok. i think i will. i didnt end up ordering last night like i thought i would. i got caught up in some stupid girlfriend issues. it would have made it worse if she knew i was online about my car. lol. i know it all sounds stupid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts