Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new issue of Honda Tuning has a "how to" on installing a K20A into the 94-00 Integra.

brian g

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brian G,

With all the growing hype of the k20 swaps, do you think this will cause the motors prices to go up, down, or what?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
94EG said:
Brian G,

With all the growing hype of the k20 swaps, do you think this will cause the motors prices to go up, down, or what?
That's hard to predict but I believe that prices for complete engine swap packages from the RSX Type S will remain around $3500 to $4500. You may be able to get engine, tranny and ECU for around $3000 - $3500. The K24 from the Accord/Element/CRV will stay around $800 - $1500 because even with increased demand their numbers will only increase in the salvage yards.

I suspect that JDM K20A prices will stay high because demand won't go down and supply won't go up anytime in the near future. The supply may even go down, but there is a practical limit to what people will pay and I think it will keep the price at $6000 or less, probably $5500.

The hype is an initial response to something new and will calm down for awhile as the swap becomes more commonplace. Being on web sites like K20A.org and H-T kind of gives you a false idea of how widespread the K20 craze is. Most people still think the B-series is the shit and that's what they want. After the initial hype the K-series swaps should enjoy steady growth as people become familiar with the ins and outs.

My job at Hasport, to a certain extent is to drive the engine swap market in certain directions. As you can see by the articles in Sport Compact Car, Honda Tuning, and soon Super Street all the K-series articles are with my direct involvement. My feeling is that the real "new" thing is the K24 swap. This engine has a lot more potential as a better street performer, or boosted engine, and it costs less too.

It's tough to put $6000 or more into a car that may not have even cost that much to begin with.

brian g

·
Registered
18 Posts
brian g said:
94EG said:
Brian G,

It's tough to put $6000 or more into a car that may not have even cost that much to begin with.

brian g
I hear ya, i blew a B18C5 in my R, for the extra $2000 it costs to do the swap, its going to be well worth it :D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Just received that issue today. Nice article... :)

brian g said:

brian g
So true.

My A2 swap cost more than the car i'm putting it in, but i figure the positives of doing this swap will far outweigh the "negatives" in the end...

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
I read the article too. Although I liked it I have to make one comment. The Sport Compact car article "Hybrid k20a EK how to" seemed to have better pictures and IMO contained more info about the swap. I guess I would except a honda magazine to do better than that...

I picked it up last night and kind a read through it fast but that is the first feeeling I got about the DC2 article.

Hey Brian, on the picture where you are holding part of the exhaust is that a TAG HAUER watch or a ROLEX Daytona you are wearing? :lol:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I paid 350 for a 93 dx running.

So everything is more than what my car was worth. :lol:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nikos said:
Hey Brian, on the picture where you are holding part of the exhaust is that a TAG HAUER watch or a ROLEX Daytona you are wearing? :lol:
That's a Honda watch i got at the SCCA National Runoffs 2 years ago. I think it was $50 on clearance. It looks good from a couple of feet though.

brian g

·
Registered
644 Posts
Why do you say that the k24 has more street potential? Why would it be a better boosted mototr??

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
c_buz said:
Why do you say that the k24 has more street potential? Why would it be a better boosted mototr??
The longer stroke and of course more displacment, yeilds more torque. Torque is a much better tool on the street where rpms are typically lower and give better throttle response. Plus if you have another person in the car the torquier engie will be affected less. The drawback is the head, at least until someone comes out with some decent cams or yo do a head swap.

As for boost, turbo in particluar, if your leaving the bottom end stock the engine has lower compression so you can run a little more boost with less tuning issues. But the main advantage is more displacement means you can jam more combustables into the cylinder for more power.

brian g

1 - 12 of 12 Posts