Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any information they can share on replacing the bearings in a jackson racing supercharger.
the rear bearngs in mine have some play in them - and since i am goin to be running it at high rpm i will need to replace them.
if they are press in , i have access to a suitable press but

where can i get the bearing itself ?
how are they installed ?
is there a spec for insertion height or clearances ?
anyone know torque settings for the cover bolts ?

i have emailed Moss - but still waiting for a response so any input would be appreciated

thanks in advance !!:up::up::up:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent pdf drhonda - thank you very much for that :) i will keep it for reference - but it was actually the rotor bearings in the rear of the housing - rather than the nose bearings that i was interested in changing. see pic attached.

they look like they are a simple press out/ press in fit - but i think the depth they are to be inserted may be critical - so was hoping someone may be able to let me know exactly how its done.

thanks again and ^^ for input on the rotor rear bearings.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone got any info on this - have been in touch with Moss ( Jackson racing ) who have put me in touch with Magnuson - who build and service the chargers - but they dont seem to want to help me. :(

i can press the old bearings out without a problem - but think there must be a specific depth the new ones will need to be pressed in to - or some specific tolerance to get right - as they control longitudinal movement of the rotors.

·
Rebuilding phase
8,450 Posts
anyone got any info on this - have been in touch with Moss ( Jackson racing ) who have put me in touch with Magnuson - who build and service the chargers - but they dont seem to want to help me. :(

i can press the old bearings out without a problem - but think there must be a specific depth the new ones will need to be pressed in to - or some specific tolerance to get right - as they control longitudinal movement of the rotors.
Yes there probably is, usually for these kinds of things there is a lip that will catch the bearing so it sits square in the hole and at the right point. On one side or the other there should be something that controls how the assembly goes back together. If you have a pair of calipers you can also measure the bearing dimensions. You'll also need to know the max rpm of the shafts so you can order the proper bearing rated for above that speed... you'll also need to know if its a shielded bearing or not. When your pressing them back in, only press on the inner race, not the outer or the bearings themselves, they can split otherwise. Ive found that deep sockets can work pretty well for pressing in bearings.
shielded
not shielded
Sorry if you knew any of this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Zerotraction - they are needle roller bearings with no inner race - but yeah - i hope there is a lip.

however i have heard of the bearings getting pushed too far in - by extreme revs/use - so there may not be.

i really need to find someone who has rebuilt one of these chargers.

still hoping that with all the JR chargers in use out there someone on here will have done this before

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thanks Zerotraction - they are needle roller bearings with no inner race - but yeah - i hope there is a lip.

however i have heard of the bearings getting pushed too far in - by extreme revs/use - so there may not be.

i really need to find someone who has rebuilt one of these chargers.

still hoping that with all the JR chargers in use out there someone on here will have done this before
http://www.thehighspeedlab.com/eatoncompwrotor.html

http://www.stiegemeier.com/rebuild.html

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good info - thanks Erik!
i would love to send mine of to them for service - maybe get it ported while its there - but i'm in the UK so cost would be 300usd plus just for the shipping

there is some useful info on the bearings tho - the front rotor bearings control lateral movement then - makes sense - thanks for that - i need to double check the front rotor bearings - i'm hoping they are OK.
much appreciated.

the JRSC case differes from the eaton case - so its much easier to get the rear bearings out.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Bearings are universally indentified by part number. Press out the old ones, get the number off them, and call your local bearing rep - they'll either have them or can cross-reference them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just a follow up in case anyone else come across similar issues

i got to speak with engineers at magnuson who build this charger for JR

there should be a clearance of around 0.002" between the rotor tips and housing and between the rotors. if this is less than 0.001" you can expect the rotor to start to contact the housing in use and begin to transfer material, and the units days are then numbered.

there should be 0.003 to 0.08" clearance between the rotors and the front and back plates - with around 0.003" max longitudinal play.

by measuring the movment in the bearings with feeler guages from max to min you can determine the clearances to the housing and the play in the bearings.

the witness marks - indicated in the pictures in the links EriK added will also help diagnose wear.

thanks everyone for input !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts