Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Jeff's DC2 R K-Tuned Build

19K views 76 replies 33 participants last post by  BOMrsxS 
#1 ·

Finally making a build thread here at K20A.org. First I would like to give Thanks to all the people involved in this build.

Alex@KN2EK
Mike@K-Tuned
Ryan@Autofair
Gil@///Circuit Hero
Xavier@Wire-Worx
JC@K-Phonix
My friend Dee and John

This is my first motor swap ever and let alone its a K-series. So please be kind and I am not your seasoned mechanic. 90% of the work was done by myself.

Parts list.
K20A DC2 R

Wire-Worx Milspec harness Stage 4
Wire-Worx K conversion harness
K-Pro ecu
Circuit Hero 3.5" custom intake powder coated chromozone (only 3 exists)
Custom 3" exhaust with two V-band connections
R-Crew muffler with custom turn down tip
R-Crew Race header
O2 RSX sensor
Custom Griffin radiator
-16 AN black fittings
-16 AN black braided lines
Rywire tuck brake kit
OEM manual rack
Subframe powder coated chromozone
Modified and shaved RBC 70mm manifold powder coated chromozone
S90 70mm throttle body
Hasport egk1 mounts
Insane Shafts axles
S2000 CMC
Blox CMC spacer
AEM oil pressure
AEM A/F meter
Bolt boys dress kit
Modified water pump housing
RC engineering injectors 440
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Competition clutch
Karcepts pulley kit
Karcepts throttle body adapter
TSR battery relocation
K-Tuned bolt in shifter
K-Tuned Race spec cables
K-Tuned Trans bracket
K-Tuned cable heat resistant wrap
K-Tuned TPS sensor
K-Tuned upper coolant neck
K-Tuned thermostat housing
K-Tuned tuck fuel system
K-Tuned clutch cable
K-Tuned throttle cable
K-Tuned pre-fit heater hoses
K-Tuned brake booster line
K-Tuned coil pack cover with badge

January 2012
I always wanted a white dc2 with the jdm front and was in the market at that time. My budget was 7-8K I then started noticing Type Rs for 10-13k. I was like why not for a few more Gz. That's when I decided to get an R.

Saw one 2 hours away and went to check it out on February 2012. It was love at first sight.

So I made a deposit and came back on March 6 2012. She was ready to come home.

I kept heR in storage temporary since I didn't have a garage at the time.

First things first I had a Viper GPS installed professionally with tons of extras.

Next ordered a set of CCW

Bought some status seats but later sold it.

Here I went to jersey for WekEast.

Then after WekEast I decided to go K ;)

Tear down began November 2012

Me being goofy

My first purchase for this K project was an RBC manifold. Started shaving and cutting the bridges.

I had Alex @ KN2EK weld and clean up the map sensor holes and whatever needed to have a clean RBC. It turned out better than what I expected.

Few months later I found my K20A Type R motor and DC5 R Trans

Started to do a mild shave on the bay.

Finally painted fresh NHO!

Started to install the fuel lines.

Ordered my Circuit Hero custom 3.5" intake

I bought a brand new manual rack because looping it is kinda out of place. Also had my subframe, Circuit Hero intake and RBC powder coated chromozone.

Custom exhaust done by ASC speed metal with the help from Gil

Wire-Worx came through with this work of art harness with K-swap conversion harness.

Painted my valve cover

Motor finally in with the aid of Hasport mounts.

Shaved my water pump housing. Also cleaned up my alternator and bolt boys hardware.

Wire-Worx in play.

K-pro PRC ecu

Relocated my battery by TSR

Griffin radiator. Alex is welding in a few AN bungs and brackets ;) thanks Bro!

Got parts still laying around

Protecting my K-tuned Race Spec cables

This is where I stand at the moment.

This view is just pure sex

Waiting on a few items and will wrap it up and hope to get it started by November.

See less See more
#15 ·
HTML:
:up:

Doing some late night wire tuck on the passenger side. It was a mess in the beginning.

Loomed

I just got to extend the fan plug. Will wait for my radiator to arrive.

Also painted the booster. I couldn't put my master cylinder tonight. I need my friend to tighten the bulk head on the firewall. I need an extra hand :(

#31 · (Edited)
I enjoy reading your R build also! Thanks :up:

Proper build! Cherry!
Thanks man I truly appreciate that! And please do!
:up:
Awesome work so far! I love how the wireworx harness goes into the cabin. Nice job on the wire tuck as well. Sorry if I missed it, but what loom is that?
I think you are referring to the wiper plug. That's just some braided loom I got on eBay. It's nothing special. On the fenders I used your walmart special :coleman: cuz I'm broke!!

No updates tonight. Got to get up early for a weekly meeting. :frage:

#38 ·
Real nice man..that bay look so sweet. That moment when you hear the engine start is sweet huh?..big ups!!!

The K-tuned tps will need to be calibrated in K-pro...make sure it reads 0% at closed throttle and 100% at WOT. You have a option to read in the TPS.

The idle you can adjust in K-pro also...look for the tab in the parameters section and move the slide left or right to adjust your idle, you can also enter a rpm number to regulate the idle...dont forget to upload your changes. Perhaps you need to adjust your idle screw also

Im not sure how you installed your fan, but if your not using the fanswitch then K-pro will kick your fan on at the temperature that is entered in the protection tab under parameters...i think that the standard value is 195 Fahrenheit. If you did wire-up the oem fan switch then i think it will kick in around 170 degrees...So i think youre using K-pro to let the fan run, sincs you said it kicks in at 200. You can enter a lower value if desired.

You're using a bigger rad., so it wil take some time to get the water hotter.
But im not exactly sure how you bled your radiator, but bleeding a radiator isn't somehting to think light about...You really have to make sure you bled it good...i preffer lifting the radiator up or jacking the front off the car a good amount up and then filling the rad not to fast. I even squeeze the hoses to let airbubbles out.
So not bleeding correct could be a issue, but you will notice heat spots on your radiator and thermostaat housing etc.

Another issue why your not blowing heat is that your thermostat is not working and staying open. Especially when driving you will notice that your temp stays low. Wat does your temp. gauge say? Make sure that your engine cooling control is working proper..Or you also may have some issue to get your car tuned and in worse case your engine screwed up

#39 · (Edited)
R-civic thanks for taking time to comment and suggestions!!! It was a big sigh of relief! Sound of the motor and exhaust is amazing.

TPS it reads 85% at wot. In K-Pro

Temp sensor and fan switch is all integrated with my Wireworx harness. On my Wireworx conv harness I didn't wire the ect, fan and charge light assuming from their instructions to skip that step. Not totally sure if I'm reading it right. I texted Xavier at Wireworx and he seemed busy.

Cooling issue I will try bleeding it front end raised up. I actually haven't worked on it since I started it. I'll keep posted and I'm sure it's something simple.
My temp reads about almost half way hot. ALMOST! It stays there.

Again many thanks for your help R-Civic!!! :mj:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.