Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Formerly unix4linux
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Members!

In the middle of my swap, which consists of the JDM K24A into a 2003 Honda Accord (CM5). The current issue I am trying to work through is the power steering pump. I am going to keep my power steering. However, the power steering pump of the Accord is busted. The one on the JDM K24A looks good but the bolts for the oil feed line don't line up. As you can see from the image below, the are reversed:

Unfortunately, I couldn't swap the Accord pump one back in, even though it's damaged, because it's smaller and doesn't bolt up to the JDM engine bracket for the pump. So I am in a situation where the line for the JDM engine is cut at the pressure sensor end (see below) and the pump of the Accord works with the Accord power steering line BUT doesn't bolt onto this engine. Even though it's busted, I figured I can put the Accord one in so that I can at least get the car going.

The issue is that I don't want to purchase a power steering line without getting this engine into the car and started. I want to make sure it starts first. However, if everything works out fine, I can purchase the line but to change it is a hassle because the subframe has to come down again for clearance. This is a lot easier now, obviously, but could be costly and pointless to have purchased it if the engine doesn't start.

I have two options I'm considering:

• Start the car with the Power Steering pump of the JDM engine intact just to make sure everything with regards to starting the car up works fine and replace the pump with a new one that'll fit the JDM K24A. I assume the TSX K24A2 pump will work but not sure. Any thoughts here?
  • Second option is to check if there is a power steering line kit for these swaps somewhere? Anyone know?
The third option would be to just swap the power steering line now and bite the bullet but if so, from which donor car do I search the part for? TSX K24A2? I'm really leaning towards the first bullet option above but need to figure out which pump I can use on this swap that'll bolt up to both the engine and the Accord power steering line. Thoughts here?

Thanks in advance!

Formerly unix4linux
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those wondering, I did a part number search and for the 2003 Accord Pump, this is the part number:

While the one for the TSX is this one:

Obviously, they are different but wondering if they are the same in terms of the bolt pattern and if the bolt arms/legs are both as equally thick or different. The arms/legs from the Power Steering pump of the JDM are thicker (which is what I need) while the Accord arms/legs are thinner so they wouldn't secure it. No, adding 20 washers won't do 馃お. If someone can confirm if the TSX arms/legs where the bolt #21 goes are thicker, that would answer my question if I can use the TSX pump as long as the bolt pattern for the Feed Line, which gets connected around where #15 is, is also the same pattern as the power steering pump of the Accord. Confused yet?...LOL

Thanks!

Registered
Can you get a line at autozone and then return it used? I know most big box stores will take just about anything back. Just don't say anything about it being used and all.

Otherwise I would probably just start it up with the crooked pump. I've seen a guy on youtube drive a car with basically no power steering down the highway and he's fine. a short bit with the wrong pump probably won't damage anything.

I love how you format your posts and great pics btw linux. ;) Can't stand it when people don't post enough info in their posts!

Formerly unix4linux
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you get a line at autozone and then return it used? I know most big box stores will take just about anything back. Just don't say anything about it being used and all.
The only issue with that is that the power steering feed line will get fluid cycled through it once you connect it so it'll immediately appear as used. There are some items at Autozone that they won't take back because of that. I suspect this would be one of those cases too. My issue is also that if I purchase one and hook it up, I'd like to avoid taking it out because it's a bit involved taking it back out for a return since it requires the subframe to be lowered.

Otherwise I would probably just start it up with the crooked pump. I've seen a guy on youtube drive a car with basically no power steering down the highway and he's fine. a short bit with the wrong pump probably won't damage anything.
That's what I am leaning towards. Driving without power steering isn't an issue other than steering at lower speeds is a lot rougher but very usable and stable at higher speeds like on the highway.

I love how you format your posts and great pics btw linux. ;) Can't stand it when people don't post enough info in their posts!
Thank you very, very much for the kind words 馃檹. That's part of my engineering background. I like to provide as much detail as possible so that others can help me triage if I need assistance ;)

Formerly unix4linux
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up solving this by using the entire water pump assembly / housing from the Accord and putting it on the K24A (JDM) engine. This allowed for all accessories including the power steering, to bolt up without any issues. All existing power steering hoses lined up correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts