Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my DC endurance 2.2 cams but I want 40vtc on these cams. I have a set of the k20a2 cams with 50vtc gear on it. Can I buy the 40vtc limiter pin to put that in the 50vtc gear and install the vtc gear and pulse timing plate on the dc cam to save some money instead of buying a 40vtc gear?. It’s my first engine build ever and I understand the whole timing set up now but still confused on how vtc works.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
tons of explanations and videos around on how VTC works.
It is essentially a rotating piston driven by pressurized oil being applied to one or the other side of that rotating piston on the inside sliding it clockwise or counterclockwise. Thereby it advances the cam or retards it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m planning on making 250-270hp range to the wheel but can this limiter pin handle that kind of power and 8-9k rpms with no problems with it? Or should I just get a aftermarket 40vtc. I just don’t want to invest all this money and have some 25$ part mess it all up.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
9k on a k24 with stock pistons ain’t gonna last long enough to worry about what a pin does in the VTC mechanism. Even 8k is borderline, if the engine sees these rpm for extended periods of time, e.g. doing circuit track work.
The forces the pin experiences in the VTC mechanism has no connection with the power level. Most of the time, the pin does not even do anything. It just limits VTC angle in case of the ECU VTC control algorithm overshooting momentarily exceeding the set VTC angles by a few degrees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts