Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to K engines but I'm really liking them so far. I bought this used JDM K20A and here's how the cylinder head looks.

Black Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Can this head simply be degreased and used as is or do I need to rebuild it? I'm going to take the head off and look at the bottom end next. Thanks!

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,990 Posts
Hi, I'm new to K engines but I'm really liking them so far. I bought this used JDM K20A and here's how the cylinder head looks.

View attachment 105034

View attachment 105035

Can this head simply be degreased and used as is or do I need to rebuild it? I'm going to take the head off and look at the bottom end next. Thanks!
A lot of the jdm engines look like this. If you do a few oil changes quickly when you first run the engine it should clean up a lot of that varnish. I would do the first one after initial heat cycle. Then another one At like 50 miles. and another at 250 or so. That should get rid of some of that brown.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much appreciated, will do. I have a BMW ZF 5 speed and need to work on custom engine mounts and fitment. I'll share more as I make progress. I'll save what chassis I'm putting this into until then. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I couldn't believe how much burnt crap continued to fall out as I tore my engine down. I would take the pan off and maybe girdle and let it drain upside down, rotating a bunch. Kbuilt nailed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the spark plugs tips were black and here's how the valves look.

This is becoming a cautionary tale. lol

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
1,990 Posts
All the spark plugs tips were black and here's how the valves look.

View attachment 105143

This is becoming a cautionary tale. lol
Those cylinder heads often get thrown away by people. I’m sure if you made a post looking for a k20a3 /k24a4 cylinder head someone on here would probably send one to you for cost of shipping alone. Or you could go the 3 lobe route. Next cheapest head is the rbb but that would also be a nice bump in power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts