Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 428 Posts

·
USDM > *
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is to document the build of my dream Honda: a FD2 type R clone.

This is how the car looked when I purchased it from Chen @ Midwest auto world. Most of the hard work had already been done. That meant I could concentrate on the fun stuff:)

I had some left over parts from my "other" build...

ERL ported k24a2 cylinder head:

Recaro pole position seats with custom red stitching:

Then the parts collecting started almost immediately...

RRC intake manifold:

PasswordJDM odyssey battery and relocation bracket:

SVM 212 cams:

Spoon style side mirrors:

I scored an insane deal on FD2 type R Ohlin's coilovers...this basically sent me on a path straight down the rabbit hole.

Everything is machined aluminum...and anodized:

The whole set up weighs about 16 lbs less than the stock Si suspension.

These coilovers require the use of FD2 type R knuckles, and the FD2 knuckles require the use of FD2 axles and FD2 brakes and so on and so on. The next thing you know I've fallen completely down the rabbit hole and having to source parts from the other side of the globe:facepalm:

Luckily, I found an online shop selling the rear knuckles, control arms, and FD2 rear calipers. I asked if they would throw in the FD2 type R knuckles for free and......score!!

All cleaned up:

The rear calipers look like shit now, but Xander is gonna work his magic on them:

These are some comparison pics of FD2 vs Si rear calipers:

I held off making a build thread on here until I had a motor build to show. That piece of the pie showed up tonight: a k24a1 I picked up for a great deal. This will be sent this off to ERL for a simple build:

Also picked up some brand new FD2 type R (ahem....USDM CR-V) front bearings:

·
USDM > *
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everybody's definition may be a little different, but classically a high compression, 87.5 x 99 motor is referred to as a "simple build".

I am looking to get either I4N or I7N from ERL's website. I4N would be ideal for a future Rotrex set up, but I want to keep things simple this time around.

I also found some FD2 type R Brembos...they look beat to death in these pics but again I'm hoping Xander can make them look better than new:)

I believe the only difference between FD2 and DC5 Brembos is the orientation of the Pistons, other than that they are pretty much identical. That probably is irrelevant on a street car, but I don't want to take any short cuts on the braking or suspension components...plus, I got them for around the same price as DC5 Brembos.

Finding aftermarket big brake kits for the FD2 type R has been a major headache. There are a couple kits from Japan (like Endless) however there aren't any dealers in the US that sell them. AP racing never returned my email. Spoon calipers won't work with the larger rotor (FD2 - 320 mm, Si - 300 mm). I also thought about StopTech but they don't list a kit for the FD2. I found one Alcon kit but no online reviews.

I was really tempted to save up for the Mugen advanced brake system...however it's the price of a 7 day vacation in the Caribbean. I like this car...but I don't like it THAT MUCH:)

So, for all of these^ reasons I decided to go with the OEM Brembos.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
good stuff Brian! nice to see another thread on here :)

·
USDM > *
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The FD2 Brembos arrived today. After a quick scrubbing, I threw them on my digital scale.

OEM FA5 civic Si front caliper:
10.5 lbs

Brembo FD2 type R front caliper
6.9 lbs

Some additional pics mounted on the FD2 knuckles with 320 mm FD2 rotors:

·
USDM > *
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You might remember (from my 8thcivic thread) that I originally had Wilwood Dynalite calipers. They are very light weight.

Make sure you weigh those and compare to the OEM set up. I am a bit skeptical about the 20 lb claim:devil:

1 - 20 of 428 Posts