Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
JDM DC2 R Race Car Now K20'd

Hey guys and gals thought id start a build thread on here. My Names Robert and am from the North of Ireland way across the ocean from most of you guys. For the past year and half ive been Using a JDM 96 spec DC2 Type R as a race car. It started out as a standard 96 spec road car:

Pic of it when i bought it beside DC5 i owned at the time.

I then stripped it, got a weld in cage installed and started to use it in sprints and saloon races later in the year.

Sorta spec i ran with most of the year

Interior
Customcages multipoint weld in cage
Sparco Evo seat
Tition harness
Handheld & 4ltr plumbed in ext
Flocked dash, all other panels/trim removed
Oil Temp & Pressure Gauge
Standard clocks used
P4P Window Kit

Exterior
Team Dynamic Pro race 1.2's or Revolution millenium's
Standard car apart from carbon bonnet

Brakes
AP Racing Formula Brake kit (4 pot caliper, 295mm floating disc attached to alloy bell)
Braided Brake Hoses
AP racing brake fluid
1" Master Cylinder,
Brake stopper

Suspension
Cusco Adjustable Coilovers
Whiteline Rear ARB
Rear Adj Camber Arms

Engine
Standard B18c with sump baffles welded in
Std airbox with cold feed pipe
5Zigen mani, decat
Tanabe cat back system
Oil Cooler
Paddle clutch

Gearbox
S80 gear box with GearX close ratio 3rd, 4th, 5th kit (129mph with 4.4FD)
Cusco 1.5 way LSD

.Heres a few pics of my girl

Ive been running a pretty much standard B18 all year with just mani/exhaust fitted and the car never missed a beat, did a lot of suspension tweaking all year and had an absolute blast. I Won my sprint class overall this year and started doing a few saloon race meetings as well. They turned out to be mega fun. And the little car did well for being a home built machine

Pic from sprint i did at the start of the year

Few from race meetings

I have now stripped the car again, sold the b18 and built box and am in the process of getting a K20a2 installed in the car!! Got a load of parts from David Cordell at Hybrid Racing, he helped me out a lot. Got the engine bay and interior sprayed while i had the car stripped down so it looks like this at the mo:

Got the B/M cyclinder reinstalled and all the lines and prop valve, fitted bits of the mounts and stuf like that so its looking a little less bare!

And just a few better pics of inside the car itself, think the colour is called shell grey!!Think it will look well with the flocked dash back in!!

Im gonna try and keep this updated through the build, have a fella overhauling my K20a2 with new rings and bearings. He did a bit of porting at the head

Also have a Skunk 2 Inlet to go on with a billet 70mm TB:

·
Registered
188 Posts
:worship:
That's how a racecar should look! Keep the build info coming! You give me inspiration to keep dumping money into my project!
Did u weld up the passenger door cuz it looks like there is a bracket welded from the cage to the door frame? Ol Dukes Of Hazard style! Lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
You're building the car I waste my time dreaming about (when I'm not thinking about my car). Everything about this is bad-ass and awesome, it's a type R, it's rhd, it's Champ White, and it was damn fast before you've even got the K. Definitely sub'd. Keep the updates coming. The fab work on the cage looks great, and I like the gray.

Do you have any videos of the car?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beautiful :up:

Any restrictions you are required to run in the engine, or weight penalties for the chassis, now that you are using the K-series?
Thanks Bro, no restrictions in the race class i run its pretty open, i could turbo or supercharge this baby and it wouldnt be a problem as regards regulations. there is also no issue with weight penalties either which is good :wink:

Looking good! :up:
Thanks, With plenty of help from you guys :up:

:worship:
That's how a racecar should look! Keep the build info coming! You give me inspiration to keep dumping money into my project!
Did u weld up the passenger door cuz it looks like there is a bracket welded from the cage to the door frame? Ol Dukes Of Hazard style! Lol
You just got to keep pouring the money in untill its finished dude, no point loking at a half assed car!! Ha that bracket just looks like that in the pic, its actually a bracket which i bolt my dash to

Cheers :up:

You're building the car I waste my time dreaming about (when I'm not thinking about my car). Everything about this is bad-ass and awesome, it's a type R, it's rhd, it's Champ White, and it was damn fast before you've even got the K. Definitely sub'd. Keep the updates coming. The fab work on the cage looks great, and I like the gray.

Do you have any videos of the car?
Updates??
Thanks, means alot. Theres been a load of hard work put in this car and glad people are liking it overe here. The cage is awesome i love it :worship: and am glad i picked this interior colour now. Updates have been slow as car is away getting lighting and engine loom made but should be running and racing in the next couple of weeks!!

Definitely in for updates
where are the updates lol
Looks like you have a great start on this build, can't wait to see the rest.
Will try and keep this updated a bit better, just been busy working at the car and its away getting wired up at the moment. Should be 99% finished this time next week :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well have some what of an update since the original pics were put up of the engine install. I have all fuel lines and fpr rigged up, Shifter box and cables installed, Rad and fan are in, Shafts installed, Gearbox oil in, Engine oil in, Manifold and exhaust fitted, Brake lines all installed and bleed up again, induction kit installed. Windscreen bonded back in, side windows screwed in. Lighting loom has been made and 99% complete now and the fella is working on the engine loom at the moment and will hopefully be complete by weekend or Monday. hopefully have it running soon!!!!

Heres a quick pic i took of the flocked dash reinstalled, i think it looks smart against the grey colour of the interior

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey yea i got the car all finished and had it out for my first race about three weeks ago. Engine was good, took bit of getting used to and the 6 speed box but il get there. few pics from the day:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts