Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Jaydee's All Out Rotrex, TVS and Compound Forced Induction K Motors

Tags
rotrex
472K views 2K replies 158 participants last post by  jaydee 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In this thread I will try to show what I have done with the rotrex superchargers on the K motors. I have being playing with the Rotrex on a stock K20Z1 for 4 or 5 years, and bought a Dynapack in December last year to do the development properly.

Long term I am building 89 x 90.7mm, 88 x 99mm, and 89 x 103mm K24 ERL blocks.
These will all have ported heads, and cam profiles I have been developing specially for the rotrex.

In my signature I will keep updating my current WHP and as I find the time I will build the jaydeequantum.com.au web site with plenty of photos of the builds.

With the C38-91 the %eff is pretty good, so I am quietly confident that it might be possible to give the turbos a run for their money, at <25psi boost anyway. I may even try 2x SC in series. We shall see.

c38 81 vc C3094 are dyno graphs of the engine as first run on the dyno compared to the current setup, with the bigger intercooler, 1 months dyno development tuning and bigger SC. This is now about the limit.
Text Line Colorfulness Screenshot Technology

509 - 510 are 2 dyno runs with the 509 being the current tune with a C38-81.
Text Line Screenshot Technology Font

I still have the RRC inlet manifold, 74mm throttle body, and a bigger SC to try. The supercharger was given to me to try by Tom at Bullet Cars, who are the Australian importers and they have been very supportive of all my development. I will try, but I am not thinking the gains will be much more that 15 - 30WHP.

Crankshaft BHP is approx 7 - 8% higher than my measurement of WHP on the hubs, so we are at about 550BHP at the crank. The SC rating is 630 less accessories and SC drive so its maxed out. The next one I am going to try is the C38-91 which is 11% bigger. It should be interesting......

our pump fuel is equivalent to USA 92 octane and I run water/methanol injection

Enjoy, Tomola's video of the Jaydee Ariel Atom 600, with 579WHP partially tuned.

and here is the dyno graph of the 579WHP partially tuned motor.

Even though the quality is not great here are some track testing videos.

And Winton in car video with Motec Data overlayed

This is a copy of the Poster from the final year presentation in November 2013,and I thought you guys might be interested. The K25 engine simulation specification was from late 2012 as our Twin Rotrex SC'ed K25 is now at mid 600's WHP but otherwise the information is fairly current.

Common Question's I get.....
JAYDEE im trying to connect my WG with 4 port solenoid but i have no idea where connect this pipe which is conected to boost source.
Check this out

Could You tell me where is connected Your????

thanks
Marcin
I would place the hose feeding the solenoid close to the Rotrex. This will give you the highest boost source and enable PID control software in your ECU to create the most accurate PWM. As it is before the IC the pressure will be 2-3 psi more and this means the lowest boost setting will be 2-3 psi less with the 4 port solenoid which will give more adjustment range.

Cheers Jeff

See less See more
4 4
#3 ·
Re: Jaydee's All Out Rotrex on K motors - down under

i kid u not if u want a nasty fast dd the this is the way to go.. i mean who really needs more the 500whp for a dd and im sure that there is alot less lag then with a turbo... dude bump for u and some sick number..

my question is what compression are u running?? and do u have numbers yet on the 103 strokeX89mm bore

#5 ·

my question is what compression are u running?? and do u have numbers yet on the 103 strokeX89mm bore
The 510WHP is on the bog stock K20Z1 with the stock PRC inlet and TB, but with my bolt ons. Its the Australian version and Honda rates the CR as 9.8/1. We will have to wait till march when I should have the 88x99mm together, and I will remove the stock 2000cc motor, and measure the CR. I am interested to see the bearings, bores, etc. after 5000klms of constant abuse. The motors showing no sign of breathing/fuming and does not use oil.

Next week I will swap to the new C38-91 without any other changes, other than tuning to the higher boost levels expected.

The 103mm stroke motor is 4 to 6 months away. It will make alot of torque, and give us the chance to try some big inlet manifolds.

What I should have said in the first post is its not just maximum WHP for me. Its how nice the motor is to drive in the car, how it likes to rev, how it matches the gearbox, throttle response,etc. I like the idea of the long stroke to help fill the cylinders in the midrange where boost is less on the Rotrex than turbos. But having said that, I do not want a big sudden torque rise which will cause traction problems. Time will tell what the best combination is.

#7 ·

old intercooler with 50mm piping, C30-94 maxed to 385WHP, then larger SC C38-71 maxed out to 474WHP
Auto part Engine Automotive super charger part Automotive engine part Carburetor

new larger intercooler under construction, reused an old air research core, bar and plate unit
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive super charger part

the finished larger intercooler with 3 inch piping, c38-71 maxed to 484WHP, then fitted C38-81 to 510WHP, outlet is 7 degs above ambient on the road (before the water/methanol injection nozzle). A 15 Seconds run on the dyno without the fan and you will burn your hand on the intercooler!
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Hood

#9 ·

jaydee,have you seen my PM ? :eek:
sorry I missed it. Replied now. Cheers

#10 ·

well,let's talk about your Boost controler.

so,first,which solenoid do you use?Hondata,Perrin ... ?
does the system react very fast,because it will be very usefull for the 1st and 2nd gear :D

about the External Wastegate,do you use a TIAL 44mm?
where do you locate it on the piping?

when it's opened,does it disturb KPRO or not?

do you have some pics too? :silly:

with this system,is it possible to make,like on turbo car,a "mode A" and "mode B" : i explain,the rotrex unit can deliver for example 16Psi at max of boost!so,the "mode A" for 10Psi so,with the WG opened for a long time.
and "mode B" with full boost
:confused:

#14 ·

well,let's talk about your Boost controler.

so,first,which solenoid do you use?Hondata,Perrin ... ?
does the system react very fast,because it will be very usefull for the 1st and 2nd gear :D

about the External Wastegate,do you use a TIAL 44mm?
where do you locate it on the piping?
You have opened up on some tricky stuff. :)
I started with the Hondata/Motec unit as its the same valve. It did work ok, but I was having problems as the %pulse width v's boost aim was hard to setup. At the time I only had a tial 38mm wastegate, so this might have been part of the problem. I could only get about 10psi boost control range. I would recommend the 44mm as a minimum. 50mm + would be good, so the PW is short from the ECU. I now use the Autronic valve, which is much better.

How fast it reacts depends on your attention to the piping and the valve. As the air control lines need to fill to the solenoid, after the solenoid and then to the wastegate under the diaphram, you need to keep all this to a minimum.

You are worried about boost control in 1st, 2nd. Since fitting the Rotrex I have never used 1st, even parking. Your car would be most likely the same as you get 0.5psi off idle, which makes the VE% of the motor on the mild cams really nice. I would expect you to take off in 2nd if you are going quick. The boost climbs pretty close with RPM, and so does torque, so she will spin in the upper RPM if its going too. By this time you have more road speed and more grip, so you can either short shift to avoid it, or use boost control to "limit" the top end boost in the low gears. I have gone a different route now, using an Autronic SM4, and have full TC, but I still need the boost control as its much easier to program when you don't have to cut 300bhp....:D

By the way, backing off the throttle but still revving it out does not work, as the VE% of the motor might only change by a few %. I have noticed on the logging maybe 10% loss in accel G, at 50% Throttle with the stock 60mm TB.

I fitted the Tial on the intercooler to the TB pipe. My reasoning was to keep the flow happening thru the intercooler to get better throttle transient response. My response is instant, even on the data logging at 100/sec.

when it's opened,does it disturb KPRO or not?

do you have some pics too? :silly:

with this system,is it possible to make,like on turbo car,a "mode A" and "mode B" : i explain,the rotrex unit can deliver for example 16Psi at max of boost!so,the "mode A" for 10Psi so,with the WG opened for a long time.
and "mode B" with full boost
:confused:
The boost control solenoid is just capping the boost to your desired value. You will need to map the Kpro at these load sites, so its alot like a turbo tune.

Most ECU's allow different boost levels to be setup, including the KPro. You will need to calibrate pulse width(PW) v's the "boost cap it gives", and then you can do as you are suggesting, with different modes for different gears.

I haven't taken specific pics, but in the "new larger intercooler under construction" in a previous post you can just see the red Tial wastegate.

#13 ·

wish you had a dynojet to compare the numbers to

its a tuning tool who really cares. i bet it goes down the track faster then your car :p

#15 ·

Hey Jeff - I like what I'm reading/seeing... You should post the boost curve for the two graphs in your first post. When you say maxing out you mean @ 90k rpm impeller speeds on the rotrex units?

I'll be down at Calder on Australia Day..... track testing..... :up:

#17 ·
Water/Methanol

What water methanol kit did you use?
Snow Performance stage 2, with the safe injection module added. Water/Methanol is 50/50.

I monitor the water/methanol flow from the safe injection unit as an input to the ECU, and adjust the timing as necessary. This makes an aggressive tune safe. I have not got around to it, but I could drive the pump with a PW from a 3D table using the SM4 ECU as control. This would save having to buy the full kit with the controller. I will do this eventually, as it saves money and its 1 less thing to go wrong.

#18 ·

What fuel do you run? 93octane?

#22 ·

What fuel do you run? 93octane?
hi malkolm, I have not tried your AFI yet, but will get to it on the 2.4 motor.
I am using our pump fuel PULP which is rated at 95 RON. We also have 98 RON available but it has blend issues in my experience, and I have plug problems on the bikes.
I do alot of dirt bike dyno tuning. and the european fuel tuned bikes like KTM, TM, Sherco's etc all run much more aggressive mapping. I generally need to retard the timing 4 or 5 degs for best power on our fuel, and have to lean out the part throttle settings. I do not understand how the ratings for the fuel are as they are, and the motors hate our fuel. I use Maxima Hi Test at 100ml/20litres in the bikes and this helps the motors run cooler. It is my belief that our fuel is more like 93 RON in the way it burns, and the heat in the chamber.

#23 ·

how many psi were you pushing with the c38-81 ?
Text Line Screenshot Font Technology

18.5 PSI at the manifold, 21.6 at the SC.
This is maxing out the C38-81 so it could only be for drag racing. Drive ratio x1.4771, so 8200 RPM is the max continuous rating on the SC, but I am going to 8500. I think the Rotrex rating is heat related as well, so I run a bigger oil cooler. The engine revs so quickly in my car that I am only above this for 300mS in the high gears. The type of ECU also alters this as the Rev Limiters all work differently. I was having trouble with the KPro and the motor going past the Rev limit from the engine momentum....300 to 400rpm past in 4th and 5th. This showed on the high speed ADL2 dash logging, but not on the KPro.

From my experience you are much better to loose 500rpm or 600rpm up top and spin the charger faster, as the torque increase thru the revs accelerates the car much faster. A bit like going from a k20 to k24. I drove the car on 12psi the other day and it felt like all motor...:D

#24 ·

Okey, do you have E85 in your area to test with?
It should be interesting to do a test between 93ron with Meth Vs. E85.

#25 ·

Okey, do you have E85 in your area to test with?
It should be interesting to do a test between 93ron with Meth Vs. E85.
I have a friend who did the change on a NA race car. After retuning I think he was 10% or 12% up. Should be a bit more SC. No good for me yet, as its not available at our Gas Stations. You can buy it in drums ok. I do want to use E85 when its commonly available in Aus.

#27 ·

Question, what are ur pre-thoughts on the c38-91 before u test it? Manily in comparison of hp/tq differences between it and the c38-81 and at what psi/rpm will it be achieved?

#28 ·

Question, what are ur pre-thoughts on the c38-91 before u test it? Manily in comparison of hp/tq differences between it and the c38-81 and at what psi/rpm will it be achieved?
I will be running the same pulleys as on the 81, so it will be a good comparison. The SC should arrive in the next day or 2 as it was sent on Monday.

There are no data sheets on the 91, but I was told it flows 11% more and the eff% is better, so I would expect 1 to 1.5psi more boost at 8200 with a power increase from 5000rpm+. We should be in the middle of the eff map so maybe 25bhp more? I was looking at the aircleaner yesterday, and think the flow is not ideal. Its on a 3" tube to the SC from a K&N filter. It would work well when you are driving as the airbox is under pressure, but on the dyno a trumpet shape would work much better.

#29 ·

Great Thread so far Jaydee,

This might sound abit noob, but how do i work out the propeller speed of the supercharger. I know its base on the crank pulley size and the charger pulley size?. Do you have some kind of formula to work out the max rpm for a particular pulley combo?

You also mention, divide the crank pulley size by 1.4xxx to find the right supercharge pulley. What your reasoning behind this? Does it give the rotrex supercharger its best efficiency and boost curve?
________
Side effects of prilosec

#30 ·

Great Thread so far Jaydee,

This might sound abit noob, but how do i work out the propeller speed of the supercharger. I know its base on the crank pulley size and the charger pulley size?. Do you have some kind of formula to work out the max rpm for a particular pulley combo?

You also mention, divide the crank pulley size by 1.4xxx to find the right supercharge pulley. What your reasoning behind this? Does it give the rotrex supercharger its best efficiency and boost curve?
Acceleration is torque. You want the most area under the torque curve to get the best overall result in the RPM range you will use, so cyl head, cams, manifolds, gearing is important.

I have matched the torque of the motor, the SC boost based on the above concept.
I am specific on this x1.4773 if you shift at 8500. Moving the rpm will shift the boost curve outside the optimum on the K cylinder heads IMO.

With the C38 series max pulley speed is 12,000rpm continuously. I use this +5% for brief periods. ie 126000. if your crank pulley is 130mm(Type R UK and Japan) then RPM max = ((SC pulley mm)x(12600))/130 = 8500 (for the 88mm I run)

And continuous RPM max = ((SC pulley mm)x(12000))/130 = 8123 (for the 88mm I run)
Cheers

#33 ·

Perfect, that was the answer i was looking for. :)

On my last set-up, i was usually between 6000-8300rpm on the track due to my gearing (gear-x gearset). Would that ratio still work?
Yes, but it depends....If you shift at 8150 or 8200 this is fine. So it then depends if you are on the limiter in 6th and for how long from 8200 to 8300. From my experience the C38 -81 gets hot, so you need a bigger oil cooler than they specify, and cool air flowing over the compressor housing to maximize the power. If you have to hold 8300 in 6th for more than a few seconds, then regear to 12000/8300 ratio = 1.4457 or 90mm sc on 130mm crank pulley. I did run this combination for a while, and could feel the difference in the drivers seat when I machined the pulley down to 88mm. I could also see the gain on the logging. Also be aware you need a manual tensioner to override the auto one. It has the right tension, but flicks around on gear shifts and rapid acceleration causing belt slip. I logged the SC speed and was surprised how much of a problem it was. Check to see how hot the belt gets....

#35 ·

jaydee you sound extemly smart and knowledgable

do you dyno tune customer cars aswell ?
Thanks for the complement. I have been dyno tuning bikes for over 20 years, and I guess experience counts for alot with motors. Just bought the dynapack in December last year for the k project. I might do some customer cars, but only if its an interesting job, we shall see. I love the K motors as the tuning gains seem endless with all the combinations you can try, using the SM4. Its a pity the exh. cam is not adjustable as well....:)

#36 ·

yea i thought since you dyno bikes and now do your own car u mite be interested . if your interested in dynoing my kswapped ek im trying to break 300whp lmk and we can talk about all the details .

the engine is not built yet but

#38 ·

Any chance you got a pic of your manual tensioner set-up?
x2 - I could feel the belt slip on my last testing day on Wednesday when changing gears at high rpms. After like 5~6 super hot laps - the belt would get so hot that it would start slipping at high rpms before gear changes!

One thing that I noted is that this setup is so efficient. The fuel economy at 435WHP is actually really good pretty much the same as the Eaton @ 285WHP.

By the way you do have e85 in your area. I just ordered 100L from that Caltex servo near you that sells it! Next tune we will be on e85 :up:

#40 ·

u know your stuff man and great info man

#41 ·

The next step......
I think the PRC is a major restriction. Trying an RRC with S2 74mm TB next, before we fit the 91.

Should be ready to try in a day or so.
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part Carburetor

#42 ·

The next step......
I think the PRC is a major restriction. Trying an RRC with S2 74mm TB next, before we fit the 91.

Should be ready to try in a day or so.
View attachment 24369
Mate we bench flowed 4 manifolds and the K24 Euro manifold flows the best :up: