Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
What are your challenges to get it started?
-It currently parks outside in my driveway. I wouldn't even think of starting unless I can free up garage space. Garage is full of cars at the moment. Maybe I'll build a shed.
-My CRV is a 5 speed FWD, I took the AWD parts with plans to use them in my '02 EM2. I would like to make it AWD again.
-Find and install K AWD parts then J to K adapter? J to K seems to be a little messy.​
-J AWD using Pilot auto transmission and rear diff? J AWD manual trans is too expensive and rare.​
-Which J engine? Pilot or Odyssey 3.5L? They are common and cheap.
-Need to figure out which ECU to use, I think second gen TL then Flashpro. Not sure how that would work if I went auto.
-Convince my wife.

Still need to do more research.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,013 Posts
...Convince my wife
Oha...or like you guys might be saying: "huuuh" 😄...the biggest challenge still not approached?! Serious, these challenges are challenges. My suggestion - out of the blue - would be CRV parts as much as possible. At best the CRV AWD-tranny can hold the torque and can be adapted to the J-engine bell housing and bolt pattern. Shaft length adaption is easier then adaption of tranny interface shaft-wise. Despite I see your point of having a V6 sound under the hood a I4 turbo would be much easier to integrate. Most of your challenges would be condensed down to a drop, when the wife is convinced the garage will be free*. Challenges approached, done and ready for take off.

*There is a higher likeliness of you can't convince your wife if you don't show what you would invest, beside some nice convincing points for her: your new lifetime take out the trash task, lifetime long two free evenings for her, where you care about kids, household, wuuuuuhuuuu...there are many base points, beside extra Jockers possible.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Despite I see your point of having a V6 sound under the hood a I4 turbo would be much easier to integrate.
That is something I also considered. I was fond of having a basically stock Honda engine though as opposed to modifying one and possibly losing reliability. Who knows. This was just an idea I had a while back, I may end up not doing anything to it. Lots of thinking still to do!

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,013 Posts
That is something I also considered. I was fond of having a basically stock Honda engine though as opposed to modifying one and possibly losing reliability. Who knows.
Losing of reliability is a point. But I know a few stock boosted K20 engines (don't boost a 99 mm stroke, diiiiiiifferent storyline ahead) up to 630 whp, which run fine since around 10k-90k miles. But there are also built engines 99 mm stroke engines, which broke the rod in the first race. The harmonized design Honda uses on the K20 is amazing regarding capability of load and reliability. The rod seems to be capable to withstand it. But please don't even think the K24 can do the same. This is an extreme NA design regarding rod lenght and stroke, producing a lot of side load on the liners and piston skirt. Bending rods is much easier on that design as on the more stable and shorter K20 rods. A simple boosted K20A3 (without oil squirters :() is a better basis as the 99 mm stroker.

I can imagine the 90x96 V6 (J37A5, 300 hp, 275 lbft) would be an amazing torque monster, which fits a 4WD, used in the woods and as a DD, could be a very reliable and potent performance solution. As well as the sound of the 2 pipes would be very nice at idle and under load. But it does make the project more complex. So it is a decision and invest to convince yourself and your wife that your garage will be busy for 2-4 years instead of 1 season. Just in case you have an lifter in the garage and a bunch of mechanic competent friends, supporting you, I would not wait to check if there is a J37A1, A2, A4 or J37A5 is available. Nothing less then those would worth the effort instead of an easy K20-turbo swap, which is almost just a tuning task.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts