Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the IPS cam's discussed in this forum the same IPS company in Everett,MA?
Sorry if this is a noob question, but if it is they just earned some business :D

And again sorry if this is the wrong forum, but they seem to be NA orientated so yeah :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
IPS, Intrinsic Performance Solutions, Inc. - is located in Torrance, CA. Not to be confused with IPS Racing which may be what you're thinking of.

Although we're on the other side of the country, we hope you'll allow us the opportunity to serve your specialized performance needs.

-Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once Hondata jumps on the '05 RSX train, hell ya ill give you business, I've had Toda's in previous B series motors, and well this time i wish to go and alternative route, and from what i have been reading/hearing you guys are no joke and produce real numbers.

If you wish to know my goals


220-230whp on 93 octane.

simple enough i guess haha, ill probably be going the ITB route with socks on them, as well as your head package, Toda racing header, K-Pro, LSD, and maybe J's exhaust, the exhaust im not to sure about but thats not the most important part to me. More importantly is reliability and gains. Customer service doesn't hurt either :D. I'm sure that with these mods ill be able to hit that number, maybe even over shoot it, but im trying to be as realistic as possible.

And do you know of and reputable shops in MA that would be able to install these. I work at a Honda dealership selling cars but most of the techs here are not to keen on the whole aftermarket thing, and arent willing to invest time into another person's project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
We have a few shops on the east coast that have installed our product, so I'll definitely work with you to locate one in your state. Hondata already has an 05 solution, however it entails running an 02-04 ECU with an adapter harness. Probably not something you wish to do budget-wise, but it's pretty much the only option for the time being.

Let me know when you're ready, and I'll be more than willing to help you attain your goals (very realistic and quite doable).

-Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Budget is one of those things that sorta do and dont matter, i mean i do make my own paychecks, i just have to sell more cars. Have you seen anything on the Toda ITB's? I know it has a intake plenum which i would be much happier with on a daily driver. No price is still listed on their site, but being toda im sure ill have to give up a testicle or two, just wodnering if you have heard or seen any numbers, im one of those show me people.

And any shops you guys deal with directly would be good for me. And if you dont mind explaining what makes the 05 ECU so damn hard to crack compared to the 04, i've searched a few times and havent found an explaination, plus dont i have to run an extra sensor that is on the previous years but not on my current K20?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Check out Hondata's website for more in-depth explanation of the 05 ECU architecture:

http://www.hondata.com

I have no idea what Toda's final ITB application will be. In the past they have built their B-series around Toyota 4AG throttles, which are way too small for the K20A(2). They're smart enough to know that it isn't sufficient, so they're probably working hard to beat Lance Hayward's street friendly ITB setup that bolts right in and clears the hood. Lance's ITB's are modular: 48-54mm, so you can custom tailor your powerband for your driving style and application. TWM's are race only and require modification to the power steering/alternator/water casting as well as to the hood. Not for the faint of heart. Ask evilxkid for feedback, as he's the only one I know of that has owned both setups.

-Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys have kits? like stage 1, 2, etc.

If so how much would be your entry level cams and would they/ can they support 220-230? And obviously i would need springs, retainers im still unsure of because i dont plan on revving past 9,000. But your dual spring setup with your entry cam would be a good place to start for me, if you wish to send me a PM and carry on from there thats cool. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
K-Pro for the 05 will be released end of May hopefully. Edo, are you expecting better things from the 05 with IPS cams, or do you feel with similar bolt-ons it will produce similar results?

I ask because Hondata's initial review of the 05 engine indicated they felt it would respond better to mods than even the K20A2 does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
NA All Day said:
Do you guys have kits? like stage 1, 2, etc.

If so how much would be your entry level cams and would they/ can they support 220-230? And obviously i would need springs, retainers im still unsure of because i dont plan on revving past 9,000. But your dual spring setup with your entry cam would be a good place to start for me, if you wish to send me a PM and carry on from there thats cool. :p
No kits per se, but we can help you with anything to support your goals and intended application. Just email me if you have any further questions:

edo @ intrinsicperformance . com

no spaces.

-Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
RSXWhiZ said:
K-Pro for the 05 will be released end of May hopefully. Edo, are you expecting better things from the 05 with IPS cams, or do you feel with similar bolt-ons it will produce similar results?

I ask because Hondata's initial review of the 05 engine indicated they felt it would respond better to mods than even the K20A2 does.

We'll see once more 05's get K-Pro equipped. Until then, I have no idea really how they will respond. If anything it should at least perform as well as 02-04 bolt on cars.

-Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
edo said:
Check out Hondata's website for more in-depth explanation of the 05 ECU architecture:

http://www.hondata.com

I have no idea what Toda's final ITB application will be. In the past they have built their B-series around Toyota 4AG throttles, which are way too small for the K20A(2). They're smart enough to know that it isn't sufficient, so they're probably working hard to beat Lance Hayward's street friendly ITB setup that bolts right in and clears the hood. Lance's ITB's are modular: 48-54mm, so you can custom tailor your powerband for your driving style and application. TWM's are race only and require modification to the power steering/alternator/water casting as well as to the hood. Not for the faint of heart. Ask evilxkid for feedback, as he's the only one I know of that has owned both setups.

-Ron
what about jenvey's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
I'm chuckling at IPS "entry" cams :)

it is likely you can attain your goal with the IPS cams without venturing into the world of ITBs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
NA All Day said:
And may i ask why you are chuckling at my question as to them having an entry cam?
There entry cam makes Todas cams look like an OEM grind... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so is he jealous then because he purchased the Toda's and they were weak?

or that their cam is so aggresive that its not really an entry cam :D, but again for them it would be their "mildest" cam.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
NA All Day said:
or that their cam is so aggresive that its not really an entry cam :D, but again for them it would be their "mildest" cam.
You got it... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
NA All Day said:
so is he jealous then because he purchased the Toda's and they were weak?

or that their cam is so aggresive that its not really an entry cam :D, but again for them it would be their "mildest" cam.
I just thought it funny, since IPS designed the cam lobes about as big as they can be while retaining full VTC.

My TODA "entry" cams ran just fine for the year I had them, and I've already upgraded to the IPS K2s.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top