Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok have the money for a set of crower bump stix at the time, but im concerned because i am hearing that the IPS' are a better cam. is this true? if so how much better and is the IPS cam worth the difference in price? let me know, just want to do what is best for my car..... sorry if this has been over already but i could not find another thread as specific :up:

·
Resident Journalist
501 Posts
If you have a street car and are building up a car in the long run too, the IPS cams are perfect. They have all different types of cams for different application such as NA or boosted. The K2's have been well proven, you can look up some of the threads that we have on here with street cars that have just the cams and tuning... made a lot more power than the crowers for sure through out the whole powerband... Crower makes great quality cams, but the IPS Cams are far superior. Plus, you get the great customer service that RON (EDO) will provide and will personally get your car to where you want it to be. Just call up Ron and i promise you that you will feel very comfortable purchasing his cams. Also looks like you are local too, so that would make it a lot easier too as he has Certified installers for his cams too around the Southern cali area. If you have any questions, Private message me or look for Member EDO on this sight, im sure he will chime in in this post. good luck..

·
Registered
769 Posts
IPS makes good cams but to say "IPS Cams are far superior" I disagree. The fastest allmotor Kseries cars are running crower or skunk2. Hell I will be in the 11s very soon using crower s2 cams in a bone stock K24. I have ran [email protected] so far and its a street car 2100lbs.

PS the service I have gotten from Brain Crower has been :up: :up:

·
Registered
618 Posts
to the starter, it really boils down to researching what you want, the IPS and crower cams are similar in a sense. Talk to both companies and get as much info as possible. Saying one is superior over another is idotic in my opinion. Both cams have advantages and disadvantages. I have crower cams, if someone gets IPS, good for them, as long as they are happy is all that matters.

·
Banned
15,815 Posts
I have seen various dynos from both cams and I must say:

Although at first hand it appears that the both cams are making "almost" same amount of power with basic mods, they are different. I have bought both crowers and IPS for a few people outside the USA and I would hate to give out misinformation so please do not misquote me.

In my opinion, the IPS cams are very good cams and have prooven to make power all the way up to 300whp with the right block and ITB combination. These cams were designed and engineered by Ron who has taken a very active roll in pushing the k series limits further. He has been sharing his findings with the rest of us and at the same time he is developing new cams for more specific applications.

Crower cams have made power as well. I have not seen much on basic k20a2 motors but with a tsx motor with crower stage 2 3/4 will make around 220-225 whp in general terms... using stock manifolds etc... with ITBS on gary's car more... like 272 whp etc...

Now take either IPS or crower cams and combine them with race gas and ITBS and who knows how much power you will make.

·
Registered
593 Posts
H2nr said:
IPS makes good cams but to say "IPS Cams are far superior" I disagree. The fastest allmotor Kseries cars are running crower or skunk2.
If results at the track are the basis for determining superiority, I must concede that we are not even represented at all in the pro all motor classes and fully agree with you H2nr. I can only hope one day we'll have a chance to join and compete against the top dogs in the near future. As it is now, we're nobody. It's quite satisfying already to see our product even mentioned in the same breath compared against the established players in the scene, it's quite an honor. Thanks for the support everyone and hope to see you at the races!

-Ron

·
Registered
124 Posts
Lucid Moments said:
No, as far as I know right now there are no commercially available cams for the K20A3. There is one person I know of working on some, but they are not available for sale yet.
damn. what would i have to do in order to use these cams? can i just switch the valvetrain components with a type s, or would i have to do a whole head swap (which wouldnt be worth it)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok basically, we will be building the motor around a street style car, meaning that this car will be driven more that 5 times a week, maybe not that far, but it will be driven. future mods include a fully ported head, cams and vavle train, a euroR intake manifold(Due to the fact that it will be considered a street car, and reliability reasons) AEM EMS, DTR header and a completely factory bottom end. and i dont think i have metioned yet that this is on a K20a type r motor. with these mods, im not sure waht kind of power to expect, but like all of us on the board, im looking to see the most power possible considering the street condition, so my main reason for this thread is what cam is going to make the best all around power.... thanks all, you have all helped so much, but keep the knowlede coming....

cheers,
david

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
DWCHKYPMP20 said:
is there any reason for this
have you noticed that most people are running K-pro?

find someone that has used the K series AEM and ask what they think of it...
not that there is anything wrong with it, but I haven't seen to many people use it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have noticed this but i was thinking that basically peopel were running the k-pro due to price difference, and thats it. doesnt the awm offer more tunning abilities? and i also wanted to run the aem wideband o2 sensor. i understand that the k-pro might be easier to tune but i want to have the best thing possible....

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
DWCHKYPMP20 said:
i have noticed this but i was thinking that basically peopel were running the k-pro due to price difference, and thats it. doesnt the awm offer more tunning abilities? and i also wanted to run the aem wideband o2 sensor. i understand that the k-pro might be easier to tune but i want to have the best thing possible....
I want to say that someone told me that there were a few small issues with the AEM system, but I have not used it so I can not be sure. I also want to say that there was an AEM employee who was using K-pro :rolleyes: .
But don't quote me on that eigther...

I think the AEM unit was designed for the RSX-S chassis and motor, so maps for anything other than an RSX-S motor may be hard to find and you would have to start from the beginning.

Also I have never heard a bad thing about teh K-pro system. I actually was going to use the AEM system when I was first getting ready for the swap. partially just because everyone was running K-pro and I wanted to try something different. I know some guys who have had great success with the AEM on the S2000's so I was going to give it a try.

I got a PM from Doug at Hondata and he wanted me to give him a call. I called him and talked to him for a little while hoping he wanted to talk to me to sponcer me and give me a K-pro for free :D . That didn't happen, he asked me at first why I wanted to run the AEM unit. I explained it to him and that was about all the talk about the AEM unit we had. from there he continued to go in to detail about his system and how things worked. i also talke to him a little bit about the TSX motor specifically since he had just bought a brnad new TSX.

But in the end I don't know if it was his salesmanship or just the fact that I believed he had a great product and a great understanding of how and why these things worked. He did give a few differences between the two systems but most of that just flew over my head as I have no tuning experience, YET.

So that may be why I am a bit one sided, but hey anybody that goes out of there way like that to find out why someone wants to use the other guys stuff get a big :up: from me...

·
Resident Journalist
501 Posts
Hondata K-Pro is a great product, its great for street, and good for full our racing..... with the experience i have with the AEM EMS, there is still a little figuring out to do to figure out how to go around some of the P&P underdash harness.... so far, we had to jumpa wire and keep the stock 02 sensor in their to complete the circuit. but we are running the AEM UEGO sensor.... On our race motor, we have to separately specifically for IDLE, which takes a bit of time..... where the K-Pro, you don thave to worry about..... The AEM has a lot more features, but for the usual street guys, those features wont probably ever get used.... But if you are going to build it pretty crazily, the AEM is really good.... you can override runnin the stock coil packs, and run the new AEM external coilpacks and its straight up plug and play..... to do a direct comparison and show you guys a little bit of insight on both systems, we made more max horsepower with the K-Pro, BUT, we made about 15-23 whp in the mid range all the way up to close to redline and it would drop off a little bit on power, but HP wise, they will probably make the same power or close to the same... but you can fine tune more with the AEM and theres some other features that i did not get to explore yet on the fully built motor........ either is good ! i like both..... and to clear up the rumors about AEM, it is not a hard system to use, its as easy as the K-Pro, except more features, hahaa.....

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have been tuning EMSs for six years now and I tune with both. For most people AEM is not user friendly and you will have a hard time making it run smooth for street use. If its an all out race engine it wont matter as much. Now AEM can be tuned to run great but not by most people. If you have a tuner that has lots of experience with AEM then youll be fine. Also look at what most of the pros that are running Ks, its Kpro.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so if i already have the AEM, what should i do? i was planning on having shaun church here in so cal do the tuning, and i have heard good thigs about him, and if i can rememebr right last time i was down there he said he had a fair amount of experience with the AEM systems, but can anyone verify this?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.