Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
sup bro nice looking build.. im in the market for a similar setup and had the same question.. which piston did you go with? was looking for a custom piston maybe je w/ 13:1 compression but dont know what specs are needed especially for valve relief for safe clearance. did you get any coatings?

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sup bro nice looking build.. im in the market for a similar setup and had the same question.. which piston did you go with? was looking for a custom piston maybe je w/ 13:1 compression but dont know what specs are needed especially for valve relief for safe clearance. did you get any coatings?
Thanks. My pistons are not gonna be off the shelf pistons. Im having them custom made, And yes i will probably have them coated as well. Are you building the motor? Your builder would know about the valve reliefs and the clearance specs.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No input on if I should go ahead and buy an IPS unit or buy something else? No input on a Good clutch either?

·
Registered
54 Posts
No input on if I should go ahead and buy an IPS unit or buy something else? No input on a Good clutch either?
I don't know much about the IPS manifold but BluePrint is designing one right now that is going to be very nice and probably MSRP under $1000.00 You can read about it here: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36005&page=8

As far as clutches go, we usually run a Competition Clutch Stage 4 sprung on all of our cars. I have found it to be the best compromise between a daily driven and race car. It does have a quick engagement but still very streetable.

Hope this helps.

Parker

·
Registered
101 Posts
1800 is too much for me to justify but the bp piece looks amazing. I say sell the a3 if you can and go a2 ported and have whichever manifold you get ported to match the head. G/L! which company are you leaning toward for a shelf 13:1 comp piston? .. i was looking at a JE piston because it might be a lil easier for me to order a piston based on an old piston's dimensions.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the Input. Im not sure who is making my pistons. My builder uses them on his race car and he is one of the best so i trust his judgement in who makes them. I just cant justify $1800 on a manifold for a daily driven street car. I will wait and the manifold will be my last purchase to finish the engine.

I keep hearing good things about the CC stage 4, Thanks

·
Infinite levels to this..
25,373 Posts
depends on you. ips is the best as far as cams and manifolds go. it's probably not a matter of is it worth it but do you want to get that much power? bp is making one if you aren't looking to have the most power or if you are looking to retain your a/c(i think the manifold may work with some but i don't believe you can retain a/c in the eg.) if i was using this manifold i don't think i would have a/c in the car to begin with though. i would just fab an ARC type intake box like they did in the rsx and put it next to my half sized radiator.

im going with the bp manifold cause i want a/c in the car(i drive an eg) eventually i think. if it wasn't for that, i'd jump on the ips manifold. it's alot of money but even on an untouched bottom end it produces crazy gains with a good set of cams, headers, and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
we have competition clutch stage 4 sprung on 3 of our cars and it works great, can be daily driven with no issue, as far as manifold goes ported RBC works great & is about $1200 cheaper, money that you could use for some other partsfor ex: a nice set of pic coilovers in case you don't have your suspension finished yet.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i mean i want the most hp but I have to be realistic, theres always gonna be another car faster than me and its not a race car. If i can save over $1,000 but lose out on 10-15 hp im fine with that, I can put that extra money somewhere else. Maybe replace my K-Sport coilovers that are blown lol(well only one of them for now) or a Traction Bar. And i dont have or care about AC either. Thats what my windows and the removable top is for.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A2 flows better and the valvetrain has a different setup from what i hear, So camshafts are not interchangable. Probably more also but you get the point

·
Registered
39,473 Posts
I don't know much about the IPS manifold but BluePrint is designing one right now that is going to be very nice and probably MSRP under $1000.00 You can read about it here: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36005&page=8

As far as clutches go, we usually run a Competition Clutch Stage 4 sprung on all of our cars. I have found it to be the best compromise between a daily driven and race car. It does have a quick engagement but still very streetable.

Hope this helps.

Parker
u should update that thread u linked, since u have an idea on price now. :up:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts