Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated today on the IPS website www.intrinsicperformance.com

This is a dyno with the same profile of cams with different material. The motor is a 2 liter k20a with full featured IPS signature series Cunningham rods and JE pistons (12:1cr). 3 year old header

RBC intake manifold with PR velocity stack and custom CAI

As you can see, there are some significant gains that are going to vary from motor to motor. If I get any more information about the test motor from Ron I will let you know.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Wow now the price increase seems worth it. Another 9hp is nothing to sneeze at. I don't understand how it is possible though. If it is the truth though awesome I will save more money and buy them. They probably aren't using those in the skunk test are they? If so I don't see how skunk has a chance.....

Holy torque. Is this an engine dyno or was it done on church's dyno?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bull Shit, 13 ft-lbs torque from a material change? Something else is different.

I understand the difference in hardness or stiffness in the materials, but there is no way it deflects that much.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
updated motor information

2 liter with full featured IPS signature series Cunningham rods and JE pistons (12:1cr). 3 year old header

RBC intake manifold with PR velocity stack and custom CAI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
AP1 said:
Bull Shit, 13 ft-lbs torque from a material change? Something else is different.

I understand the difference in hardness or stiffness in the materials, but there is no way it deflects that much.

So why is it bullshit? No disrespect to you, however you do not understand material dynamics, otherwise the answer would be clear to you. You think that 13 ft-lbs is an unrealistic gain from a material change, here is why its not. Think of a simply supported shaft with a mass placed at its midpoint. The faster it spins, the larger its deflection. That's with constant velocity.....Introduce a non-linear mass density, non-linear profile, non-steady state velocity, and a material that will yield under much less applied force, and you have a system that can rob any system of efficiency. People think of cams as perfectly straight and stiff objects, but they are not, they are dynamic and move according to the load applied to them. The difference in 8620 & ductile iron is great. Yield strength, fracture toughness, & ductility are each aspects that need to be considered when using a material for cams. In this particular case the use of the 8620 steel allows for much greater efficiency within the system. Parasitic losses are more easily negated by control of unnecessary valve train movement caused by cam movement within the rotating assembly. I don't know if this adds clarity to what you have difficulty accepting, but I hope it does shed some light.

-Chris

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I also took strength of materials in college, but you my friend must have stayed in the class after I dropped out to take it in summer school :p Good explanation by the way

·
Registered
672 Posts
is0m0rph said:
So why is it bullshit? No disrespect to you, however you do not understand material dynamics, otherwise the answer would be clear to you. You think that 13 ft-lbs is an unrealistic gain from a material change, here is why its not. Think of a simply supported shaft with a mass placed at its midpoint. The faster it spins, the larger its deflection. That's with constant velocity.....Introduce a non-linear mass density, non-linear profile, non-steady state velocity, and a material that will yield under much less applied force, and you have a system that can rob any system of efficiency. People think of cams as perfectly straight and stiff objects, but they are not, they are dynamic and move according to the load applied to them. The difference in 8620 & ductile iron is great. Yield strength, fracture toughness, & ductility are each aspects that need to be considered when using a material for cams. In this particular case the use of the 8620 steel allows for much greater efficiency within the system. Parasitic losses are more easily negated by control of unnecessary valve train movement caused by cam movement within the rotating assembly. I don't know if this adds clarity to what you have difficulty accepting, but I hope it does shed some light.

-Chris
Good info! :up:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know, but anything that will involve d(x), d(y), d(t), & d(θ) at the same time, makes me scurred :wow:

-Chris

kevinoneill said:
Well it was called "Mechanics of Materials" when I took it. Wonder what they'll call it in Graduate School.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Timoshenko wrote the book I studied.. he is considered to be the father or engineering mechanics

Vibration Problems in Engineering, D. Van Nostrand Company, 1928
Strength of Materials, 3rd edition, Krieger Publishing Company, 1976, ISBN 0-88275-420-3
Theory of Elastic Stability, with J. M. Gere, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill, 1961
Theory of Plates and Shells , with S. Woinosky-Krieger, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill, 1969
Theory of Elasticity , with J. N. Goodier, 3rd edition, McGraw Hill, 1970
Mechanics of Materials , with J. M. Gere, 1st edition, D. Van Nostrand Company, 1972
Theory of Structures, with D.H. Young, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1965
Engineering Mechanics, with D.H. Young, 4th edition, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1983

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Ok, with all of this under consideration, howmuch effect does the part selection have?
The rpm here is typical of a street set-up like mine on track day.
The cam is not specified. I can only assume that the characteristics of the cam profile will dictate gains as seen here.
Basically, does this mean that the ips-k2's will see more gain now with this material?
It seems from a budget standpoint, that if this is what is being claimed, then the extra hp is a bargain if weighed against the gains given solely by profile change from Honda spec cams.
I look forto more info on this.:up:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts