Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1641 - 1650 of 1650 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all I have a ej/k whatever you wanna call it civic that ive k swapped not fully working out bugs. I've been lurking here for about 3 years finally made an account to try and help out those who run into the issues ive fixed on my own car and share my crazy journey along the way. From Eastern US and I go by D or Emo whichever one you wanna call me. I'm a huge budget person and heavy DIY so most thing for the car I will make or find a way to make it. Recently i'm in the process of making a 14v 12g wiring fuel pump upgrade from scratch i'll prob post pictures up in another thread if i remember to take any for those interested and it cost me less than 70 to make it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,
My son recently purchased a 2002 RSX Typ S. It definitely will be a project vehicle, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I do see many evenings and Saturdays going buh-bye as we dig into the car. One thing to note is that we know there is rod knock. We have debated rebuilding the lower end, replacing the engine (just buy a short or long-block) and my son has also mentioned swapping out the K20a2 with a K24. I am not sure of the swap benefit and I am a bit puzzled why he would want to swap to another type of engine. I see lots of dollars and mods that route, but that is just a Dad's brain envisioning things. So I have two real needs at this point 1) Is there a specific forum in here to address and educate us on the swap process and 2) Is there any real benefit to going to a K24?. Our budget isn't bottomless, but neither are we afraid to spend some cash. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Jeff

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,013 Posts
So I have two real needs at this point 1) Is there a specific forum in here to address and educate us on the swap process and 2) Is there any real benefit to going to a K24?
Hi Jeff, welcome to K20a.org. You are at the right place indeed! To your questions:
  1. We have a General K-series related talk | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum where you find almost everything at least as teaser or deep dive. We also have, if you go the NA route, the All Motor K series Technical Discussion | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum, which I would recommend to start with. You need to read with your sun and discuss this maybe first before having an idea what will be your route to go with the available budget. Anyway, I am myself a father, I would recommend to start with the K20 and keep everything stock for the time of collecting information. If you at some bolt on modification like a header, cold air intake and so on, you need to tune it. And therefore you need e.g. a KPro or a Doctronic modified ECU to tune it. Tuning the engine can be a part of that road or you go to a tuner. You will have spent already 3k USD if you do H, E, CAI and tuning. With that you will have a real nice car. Of course it would be cost efficient to swap the bottom end for a 99 mm stroke crank block, but with that power increases and further steps on the chassis will be necessary: springs and dampers, tires, rims, brakes and so on. Another 2k to 4k USD. I've learned riding my car with 60 hp in a 740 kg curb weight chassis, learned to tune the suspension so that I am faster in corners then higher powered cars. That would be a good start for a noob on street :twocents:. Later on when he have learned to drive to be safely F&F, he likely earns enough money to add further power.
  2. Yes, more power everywhere. But engine speed is limited to 7800 rpm, where the 86 mm stroke engine stays on the gas and lift it to 8500 rpm or more. Peak power wise it is not necessarily a win, but down low everywhere more power. For a beginner maybe not necessary to start with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brian here! Just started to document my build thread. Still awaiting for mods to approve it. Just wanted to say hello!

Here’s how the car currently sits right now. Awaiting for more parts and the custom engine harness. Thanks to COVID… the whole delivery time is all messed up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings. Glad to have found this forum. Gratitude to all who maintain this.

I'm an absolute amateur when it comes to cars.

I have my '09 CRV in the shop and my mechanic is putting in a K24A engine that I bought from a JDM place. The original engine in my car was a K24Z1. The big difference is the oil pans. My mechanic does not have experience swapping them and said "yikes" when I mentioned its a necessity for this job.

Is there anything I can provide him that would help him? All my best and thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, just joined up as I am about to start a k20 turbo swap into an sw20 mr2. I have always been a Toyota guy and have very little knowledge on Honda engines so will be trailing through this site learning as much as I can.
I could have tuned the 3sgte I had but its a heavy over complicated engine that is old tech. Seeing all of the videos of how well the k20 performa with just Bolt ons made me sell up and want to start this project.
I am based in the uk,
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
The car I have is a 1996 mr2 tintop shell, the engine I have bought is a ep3 civic type r k20a2 engine with gearbox/loom and ecu. My toyonda mount kit has arrived so my project can now begin.

1641 - 1650 of 1650 Posts