Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around here long enough so I figure its time to make a build thread. Kind of a budget build (wife says cash only haha) but I have a hard time half assing stuff so it'll be kinda slow, because id Rather do it once the right way. I got out of the Honda game about 4-5 years ago because I was living at home and people kept breaking into my fathers garage trying to steal my 98 ls which was boosted with a peak boost kit etc. Decided it was time to get back into it and picked up this 95 hatch early this past summer bone stock, minus a knock off mugen passenger seat... I'm still trying to figure that one out. Its a southern car from Oklahoma and i had it shipped up to mass, which is a big deal for me because Ive never had a car come apart so easy due to a lack of rust haha!

Heres the car in one peice...

nasty...

Sick mugen seat... it holds you in like a wet noodle.

Picked up most of the black interior pieces to ditch the blue.

Picked up a set of mint gsr leather seats, front and rear.

Picked these up too, not my favorites but they'll be something to roll on and they were a steal considering the mint azenis's mounted on them.

I was originally going to just swap a B into it but back to the not halfassing things, i knew i eventually wanted to go k some might as well get it over with. I picked up a clean low mile 06 tsx motor from eric and blake (great guys) at seekspeed shop. Along with a rsx 6 speed which i left with them to get a mfactory diff installed. I should be heading back down soon to pick that up along with my clutch/flywheel and other misc parts.

So far Ive disassembled pretty much the entire car, I plan on leaving pretty much no bolt unturned. I have a full gsr brake swap which i plan on upgrading some and front control arms with a gsr front sway bar. The car will get all new bushing etc. I started shaving the bay and will do a brake tuck/clean it up some. Its going to be primarily a street car but id love to hit limerock race park for some open track days now and then. Anyhow here are some pics of the tear down.

Have all the hvac out now as well.

Started cleaning it up some.

I had to hit it with some paint so i could see what i wanted to do it was so nasty. Ive started welding up the holes etc. Once i get the trans and other parts from eric the motor will be ready to drop in and i can move on to other things. More updates coming slooooowly as i collect more shit and have time to work on it! :dance:

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Thanks man, Ive looked at your build a number of times and if it comes out half as clean ill be happy as hell! Im from western mass.
Well thank you sir. :up: I was raised in Newburyport Ma that's why I asked. At least you won't have to deal with the rust with the car being from Oklahoma. Good luck. :up:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thank you sir. :up: I was raised in Newburyport Ma that's why I asked. At least you won't have to deal with the rust with the car being from Oklahoma. Good luck. :up:
Oh nice! Im actully sitting in a hotel room (bored which is why i have the time to do this) in peabody at the moment not too far from there!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:up: Keep the updates coming man.
Thanks, pulled some pictures off my blackberry. Not the best but it shows some of the progress i made shaving the bay. I have more done than this but ill post that later.

Ditched the flux core wire in my welder and got a gas setup... what a huge diffrence cant belive how much time I had been wasting, i forgot how much better gas is.

Started on the passenger side with the a/c hole, all the holes in the picture are filled now.

Also got the passenger side mount all set to go.

Thats its for now, there will be more when i get back home!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Just an off the wall thing too, an old friend of mine bought my 94 dc2rs off me a few years back. He worked at xx tuning in hartford and the car was turning out pretty sick. Nasty cage, the whole car was powder coated white and he was droping a k20 into it. The he decided to sell it for other reasons, just curious if anyone knows what happend to that car. Id love to see what it looks like now. There was a build thread on here but I cant find it... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think i may have just made a small mistake? I just purchased a 06-2010 si/rsx engine harness and just happened to stumble appon the fact it wont work with my swap. Can anyone give me some quick advise on this i may be able to back out!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also if i get stuck with this harness, are the ecu plugs etc the same as a 02-04 rsx-s because im not scared of repining/modifying the harness. The only reason i bought a new harness is the one that came with my motor was all hacked up.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i figured out that harness will be pretty much useless, hopefully this guy responds to me and i can back out of purchasing it. In the mean time i was able to get some more work done on the bay today. Few update shops nothing special though.

Got the sub frame clean up only thing on the car with any rust! Hit it with some rust treatment as well. Im getting some price's on powder coating things as well, not 100% sure yet though.

Then continued on welding up the rest of the un needed holes in the bay, getting there pretty much everything from the towers back is done.

The motor waiting for to be drooped in...

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talked to eric lastnight and will be going down in the next few weeks (once the clutch comes in) to pick up my trans, comp stage 4 clutch and light weight flywheel as well as an rbc and some other misc things!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha strange thing we just posted in each others threads at the same time... yeah the gsr's are mint but you should see the car they came out of (70k gsr clean as can be, the guys a baller look at "rota92" on ht to see his drag car build that hes sadly parting out now. tryin to get him to put a k in the gsr) anyhow im tryin to decide on paint leaning towards champ white. I have to paint the whole car becuase i learned a leasson about southern cars. They come apart easy due to a lack of rust but man, is that paint baked....

·
Premium Member
12,506 Posts
haha strange thing we just posted in each others threads at the same time... yeah the gsr's are mint but you should see the car they came out of (70k gsr clean as can be, the guys a baller look at "rota92" on ht to see his drag car build that hes sadly parting out now. tryin to get him to put a k in the gsr) anyhow im tryin to decide on paint leaning towards champ white. I have to paint the whole car becuase i learned a leasson about southern cars. They come apart easy due to a lack of rust but man, is that paint baked....
id love to have a southern car, anyone that lives here up north knows the pain. there isnt a mid 90's honda around with even a little rust, unless its been garage kept it whole life, thats why i gotta buy new Honda quarters this year later

1 - 20 of 64 Posts