Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this engine we rarely talk about. I will post some pix to get the topic going cause most of you have prob never seen parts of this unicorn.

K23A1

Turbocharged
Found in:
2007-2011 Acura RDX[1]
Displacement: 2,300 cc (140.4 cu in)
Compression: 8.8:1
Power: 240 hp (179 kW) @ 6000 rpm (SAE net)
Torque: 260 lb·ft (353 N·m) @ 4500 rpm (SAE net)
Redline: 6800 rpm
Bore: 86 mm
Stroke: 99 mm

Things I noticed
Bottom mounted oil filter
Water cooled aluminum turbo manifold fed through the cylinder head
Very constrictive downpipe/cats
No Vtec for exhaust cam/ not true Vtec of intake
Piston/oil coolers
Small TSX style intake ports, TSx style oil pump, TSX style power steering pump
Lighter exhaust cam gear option

If you see something different than the other series please point out with a side by side picture. This thread is to be informative for all to enjoy.

RDX Crank Vs. TSX crank http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17989

Someone please photoshop a k20/k24 over this!

RDX has different chain tensioner but oil passage looks the same as k20/k24

·
Swag Champ
9,368 Posts
Re: Isight to the k23a1 engine

hmmmmmm wonder if this block could really be played with & see what it could do with a k20a head on it with the stock turbo set up

i would like to see the engine builders input on this :up:

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The block has different return oil ports as k20/k24. I dont think a k20a head will work.

·
Swag Champ
9,368 Posts

hmmmmm ..anybody else with any input? i know there has to be somebody out there that did some mods to this K

·
Registered
13 Posts

did you by chance measure the width and center to center length of the rods?
I assume the length is the same as the K24 motors, but is the width 20mm instead of 22mm?

do the pistons look cast or forged? Pics seem to look cast?
Are you the guy parting out a k23 on ebay right now? I jsut bought the pistons / rods with the hope of using them in an f23 block with h22 head + low boost.

·
Registered
21,783 Posts
this engine can only be used in the RDX.

no other tranny from the K family bolts up to this block except its own.

the rdx motor and tranny will not fit in any shell really. no one makes mounts for this... there is no real use for this motor from a swap stand point sadly. Although, im sure with enough time and money, someone could do it. Anything is possible.

IPS did take two of these cranks and sent them to castillo's for reworking, custom journals, rebalance and blueprinting, along with increased stroke. They were very nice, I had one.

Im sure the pistons and rods could be used too, but ive never read or heard of anybody using or trying them.

Sport compact car had a great write up on all the features and potential issues with this motor when the RDX was released. i'll see if I can dig it up somewhere. I personally have the issue.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks for the info Colin. :)

I read its been said the k23 head wont work on a k20/4 block... but I would love to see how far off the two head gaskets are. I have a thing for OEM setups, and running the k23 head/EX mani/turbo/and intercooler as a fan forced sidemount on my current k20 sounds very intriguing to me.

Of course this would only be worthwhile finding the setup in a junkyard... and building off of that. Who knows... maybe its something only a little machine work will solve. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
this engine can only be used in the RDX.

no other tranny from the K family bolts up to this block except its own.

the rdx motor and tranny will not fit in any shell really. no one makes mounts for this... there is no real use for this motor from a swap stand point sadly. Although, im sure with enough time and money, someone could do it. Anything is possible.

IPS did take two of these cranks and sent them to castillo's for reworking, custom journals, rebalance and blueprinting, along with increased stroke. They were very nice, I had one.

Im sure the pistons and rods could be used too, but ive never read or heard of anybody using or trying them.

Sport compact car had a great write up on all the features and potential issues with this motor when the RDX was released. i'll see if I can dig it up somewhere. I personally have the issue.
look what a guy here in quebec did
RDX K23 A1 TURBO SWAP EG BRYANHP WWW.GOTBOOST.CA Part 1
RDX K23 A1 TURBO SWAP EG BRYANHP WWW.GOTBOOST.CA Part 2
RDX K23 A1 TURBO SWAP EG BRYANHP WWW.GOTBOOST.CA Part 3 DETAILS

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried bolting up the IM to a k20 head. Center feed with straight shot runners that look to be slightly longer than a rbc/rrc.

You'd need a cowl induction hood lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-performance-parts-modifications-162/k23a1-build-912724/

I think this is the farthest anyone has gone with the platform, there is some info that may answer your piston questions.

Today in 2017 the parts are pretty cheap used and the SH-AWD drivetrain has potential.

I have been searching up and down about the platform and you have J30 style trans including beefy axles, FlashPro is available and with a smaller tire diameter could probably do well in a drag EG etc. I will be building an off road Insight and while won't be going for more than stock power, should have more than plenty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.