Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a T1R header on the way and I want to protect my investment as much as possible.

There are actually five mounts on the K20Z3 motor. As defined in the shop manual, the Civic Si has three "motor mounts" and two "torque rods" the top dogbone and lower rear dogbone.

For the three motor mounts, the primary function of two of them (the ones on the driver and passenger sides) are meant to support the weight of the engine and transmission. The third motor mount on the front mid section of the engine does not carry the weight of the engine or transmission since it is mainly used to keep those parts tilted to the proper angle when everything is assembled.

The primary function the two torque rods is to limit the twisting of the engine when under load (that is why there is one at the top high point and another on the bottom low point).

Innovative uses two mounts to support the weight of the engine and transmission. The third mount it replaces is not in a location that can effectively limit the engine's twisting motion under load. So how do their three motor mount replacements limit the engine from twisting under load? By using beefy brackets and very small polyurethane bushings that are extremely stiff.

Boomba Motor Mounts are direct replacement of the factory top dog bone mount, bottom dog bone mount and front mount that use the same hardware. They actually replace the mounts responsible for tortional twisting of the engine in the vehicles chassis. All of which leads to the damage of expensive headers, flex pipes, and flanges. Plus they are cheaper.

1. Which brand of engine mounts will protect a header the best from hitting the firewall, hitting the subframe, damaging flex pipes, and has the best overall drivability with the least vibrations transferred to the chassis?
Also are there any drawbacks/quality issues to any brand that anyone has experienced such as bad ride quality, or any related/exhaust system damage from launching or tracking your car?

It seems my nod goes to Boomba, for the price and the mounts they replace, but so many people run Innovative, so I want to know the advantages or disadvantages if any of these mounts for a naturally aspirated daily driver currently with 197 whp and 147 tq. After I get re-tuned I'm looking to track it this year, so tortional twisting will be an issue.

2010 Si coupe : 17x7.5 Buddy Club F91's, 225/45 Azenis 615k's, Buddy Club Pro Spec Exhaust, Project Kics lugs, Spoon Magnetic Drain Plug Set, Pulstar Iridium Plugs, Flashpro, Takeda Attack CAI, Karcepts TB spacer, P2R thermal gaskets, Hondata Heatshield, TWM Short Shift Kit & Base Bushings, Napa #7777 radiator hose, Hybrid Racing Shifter Bushings, Buddy Club Type A Shift Knob, Weapon R Angled O2 Sensor CEL Eliminator (To be installed), Buddy Club Header Thermo Wrap (To be installed), T1R Power Header ( En route).

·
Mako Mafia Godfather
1,727 Posts
IMHO I would choose the Innovative's with the addition of the Hasport rear mount. That is what I run on my 8th gen. I have tried the injected stock mounts. They work but when you start upping the power your header WILL hit. I have tried Boomba's, they work but at the expense of constant vibration and teeth rattling daily driving. I LOVE my Innovative's with Hasport rear mount, I will never go back. As it is the best combo I have found to date for all around use and comfort. All that with the safety of knowing your shiny new header is not going to be destroyed. Of course this is only IMHO.

Keep calm and carry on,
Figment

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard about this Hasport rear dogbone mount set up before. Hasport told me many people just run their rear FDRR mount to stop headers from hitting. Seems like this is the combo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I run Innovative 60As and Hasport rear mount and I can vouch that they get the job done and don't affect ride comfort to much. The only time you can feel some extra vibration is when your idling during a hot day with the A/C on you get some additional vibrations on your dash and the feel of engaging 1st is very solid but most people should be able to live with that.

I have a Buddy Club Race Header and before changing my mounts it would make wild noises if you shifted hard as the header opened and closed at the spring attached points (3 of them in total). I ended up breaking the 1st primary clear around the weld, fixed it, changed all my mounts and I couldn't be happier. You can shift as hard as you want and you will only get a very minor and controlled bounce from the engine. The car is much quicker at putting power to the ground as well. This is of great benefit if you track your car. Power application when cornering is almost instantaneous!

EDIT: Forgot to add that if your transmission itself is sound and you have issues getting into your gears, changing your mounts and replacing your clutch CMC with the EM1 or OMNI and you'll be shifting like butter 24/7. I haven't missed a gear that wasn't my fault in months!

·
Registered
2 Posts
IMHO I would choose the Innovative's with the addition of the Hasport rear mount. That is what I run on my 8th gen. I have tried the injected stock mounts. They work but when you start upping the power your header WILL hit. I have tried Boomba's, they work but at the expense of constant vibration and teeth rattling daily driving. I LOVE my Innovative's with Hasport rear mount, I will never go back. As it is the best combo I have found to date for all around use and comfort. All that with the safety of knowing your shiny new header is not going to be destroyed. Of course this is only IMHO.

Keep calm and carry on,
Figment
can i ask you what grade mount did you use??

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I have the Boomba mounts and never again. My car has so much rattle now it makes me hate the car.

I was looking at Hasport mounts kit. But I don't know if I'm going with 62a or 70a. Anyone tried this Hasport kit on an 8thgen?

·
Mako Mafia Godfather
1,727 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hasport FTW!!! I love mine they did take a break in period but after that its great but I am not NA anymore and they hold just fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I installed the full hasport 70a kit with my Megapower header and it took 3 weeks or so for the vibrations to die down. Only noticeable if I lug it in 1st.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
not to threadjack. but we are motor mount topic..
I have a question..
if one gets fancy mounts... can we ditch the torque mounts?
I'm looking to get stiffer mounts but also wanting to ditch parts/lighten the car everywhere I can

1 - 15 of 15 Posts