Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i bought a jdm k24A engine to put in and '03 civic, for the ECU do i source it from the TSX'S K24a2? from what i read the drive by wire controlled throttle body needs to be changed for a drive by cable one but wont that give me some trouble with the ecu that used to get its information threw the wires ? Or can i simply swap from one to the other with no issues? Please and thank you info needed and appreciated

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi i bought a jdm k24A engine to put in and '03 civic, for the ECU do i source it from the TSX'S K24a2? from what i read the drive by wire controlled throttle body needs to be changed for a drive by cable one but wont that give me some trouble with the ecu that used to get its information threw the wires ? Or can i simply swap from one to the other with no issues? Please and thank you info needed and appreciated
For most, if not all swaps, you will need the K20a2 ecu (with Kpro) from the Rsx Type S. You will also need the throttle body, engine harness, some of the sensors (crank, i forget what else), exhaust manifold, Crv passanger side mount/bracket, all from the k20a2 motor.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
241 Posts
What trans are you planing on running? I went with a base model ECU because I am running a 5 speed trans. If you plan on running a 6 speed have an ecu that matches that helps some. None of this can’t be overcome through wiring and settings just might make it a touch easier.

also get a harness that aligns with what type of trans you plan on running. Again just makes it a little easier.

If memory serves me correctly you have a cable throttle body on your car now. If so using a cable throttle body on your K24 will be far easier as well. Just get a throttle body of of a 05 or similar Accord and an Element cable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Even if its a 2.4 instead of the 2.0 ? I tought ecu was supposed to match the engine ? so your saying i need a PRB ECU And then im guessing i can source the transmission from the type S also ?
Yes, the k20a2 ecu will work with a k24 but it has to have kpro. From the kpro, you will have to upload a base k24a2 calibration to make the motor work. That being said, you should be able to use either 5 speed or 6 speed trans as long as you have the k20a2 engine harness to match the speed sensor and reverse light switch connectors. This is what I did in my K24a2/Base Rsx with 6 speed trans.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What trans are you planing on running? I went with a base model ECU because I am running a 5 speed trans. If you plan on running a 6 speed have an ecu that matches that helps some. None of this can’t be overcome through wiring and settings just might make it a touch easier.

also get a harness that aligns with what type of trans you plan on running. Again just makes it a little easier.

If memory serves me correctly you have a cable throttle body on your car now. If so using a cable throttle body on your K24 will be far easier as well. Just get a throttle body of of a 05 or similar Accord and an Element cable.
I believe the Accord throttle body is recommended when you use the K24 intake manifold. I forgot to ask the thread starter which intake mani he's using. I used the Rbc intake manifold from an 06 Si and an 02 Rsx Type S throttle body.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So im not finding many 6 speeds around and the one i found was pricey im just building a fun daily driver so i think im gonna source a 5speed instead so if im runing a say ep3 5speed i use a economy base ecu? but in my kswap book it says to make sure if you have a engine that is performance make sure to source a peformance ecu so do i use a rsx type s ecu or base if im useing ep3 5 speed with a k24a i have to get kpro regardless to get k24a2 base tune, so is the economy ecu on a performance kseries engine ok or will i come into problems

·
Registered
96 Posts
So im not finding many 6 speeds around and the one i found was pricey im just building a fun daily driver so i think im gonna source a 5speed instead so if im runing a say ep3 5speed i use a economy base ecu? but in my kswap book it says to make sure if you have a engine that is performance make sure to source a peformance ecu so do i use a rsx type s ecu or base if im useing ep3 5 speed with a k24a i have to get kpro regardless to get k24a2 base tune, so is the economy ecu on a performance kseries engine ok or will i come into problems
Is a 6 speed your preference? You can always hunt down an 06+ Si trans but it will require swapping out the shifter mech to a Type S one. From my understanding, you will need a Rsx Type S ecu that has been Kpro'ed. You may also need a Type S engine harness unless you repin or delete some of the plugs, especially around the transmission for speed sensor and reverse light. More than likely a base or Ep3 ecu won't work without extra modifications. The use of Type S components makes everything easier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
no i want to put in a 5 speed my question is since the k24a i have is a performance engine not economy do i still use the prb ecu( performance ecu) with the ep3 trans? is it better to have a ecu that matches performance engine to performance ecu or better to match a 5 speed trans to a 5 speed economy ecu with a k24a2 performance engine

·
Registered
96 Posts
no i want to put in a 5 speed my question is since the k24a i have is a performance engine not economy do i still use the prb ecu( performance ecu) with the ep3 trans? is it better to have a ecu that matches performance engine to performance ecu or better to match a 5 speed trans to a 5 speed economy ecu with a k24a2 performance engine
You will need the Type S ecu w/ Kpro and the engine harness. Any other harness can be used but they will need to be modified/repinned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts