Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am about to put a type-s in my eg and today i found out the there is some issue with the immobilizer he said i hane to get hondata or a jdm computer. can anyone tell me what to do. THANX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
You will need to have the Type S ecu K-pro'd or you will need the JDM Type R PRC ecu to be able to bypass the immobilizer.If you have the key and immobilizer from the car that the engine came out of you will have no problems though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
k20ahatch93 said:
i also heard somthing about gettting taken off by the dealership is that also possible?
No way. If you could do this then all the thieves that steal honda/acuras would take them to the dealership to have the immobilizer removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
correll said:
k20ahatch93 said:
i also heard somthing about gettting taken off by the dealership is that also possible?
No way. If you could do this then all the thieves that steal honda/acuras would take them to the dealership to have the immobilizer removed.

It only takes 8 VIN #'s to make a Key. You don't need the car to be at the dealership for this :wink: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
TeamPacman said:
correll said:
k20ahatch93 said:
i also heard somthing about gettting taken off by the dealership is that also possible?
No way. If you could do this then all the thieves that steal honda/acuras would take them to the dealership to have the immobilizer removed.

It only takes 8 VIN #'s to make a Key. You don't need the car to be at the dealership for this :wink: .
no wonder everyone hides their vin #
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,747 Posts
correll said:
TeamPacman said:
correll said:
k20ahatch93 said:
i also heard somthing about gettting taken off by the dealership is that also possible?
No way. If you could do this then all the thieves that steal honda/acuras would take them to the dealership to have the immobilizer removed.

It only takes 8 VIN #'s to make a Key. You don't need the car to be at the dealership for this :wink: .
no wonder everyone hides their vin #
Last week i went to the dealer to get a key made for my civic. I had to show my registration fro the car and they photo copied my license.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Just heard this from a friend. Apparently car thieves have yet again found a way around the system and steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go into the local dealership for that car brand and request a duplicate key for it from the VIN number.

Car dealerships make up a duplicate key from the VIN number, collect payment from the 'customer' who's really a would-be car thief for making up the duplicate key -- the car thief goes back to your vehicle, inserts the key they've just gotten and off they drive with your car or truck.

They don't have to break in, don't have to damage the vehicle and draw no attention to themselves as all they have to do is to walk up to your car, insert the key and off they go to their chop shop with your vehicle!!!

Can you believe it?

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put opaque tape (like a strip of electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN label located on the dash board. You can't remove the VIN number legally under most state laws, so cover it so that it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

Anyway, feel free to forward this on before some other car thief steals another car or truck....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
TeamPacman said:
Just heard this from a friend. Apparently car thieves have yet again found a way around the system and steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go into the local dealership for that car brand and request a duplicate key for it from the VIN number.

Car dealerships make up a duplicate key from the VIN number, collect payment from the 'customer' who's really a would-be car thief for making up the duplicate key -- the car thief goes back to your vehicle, inserts the key they've just gotten and off they drive with your car or truck.

They don't have to break in, don't have to damage the vehicle and draw no attention to themselves as all they have to do is to walk up to your car, insert the key and off they go to their chop shop with your vehicle!!!

Can you believe it?

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put opaque tape (like a strip of electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN label located on the dash board. You can't remove the VIN number legally under most state laws, so cover it so that it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

Anyway, feel free to forward this on before some other car thief steals another car or truck....
pacman is right. I used my business card to put over the vin. everysince i have been telling everyone to do it. Keep in mind that most repair shop can order the key as well. So if you feel uncomfortable with that shop, you may think twice. If the thieves got enough connections all it takes is a few clips of the handheld keymaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,747 Posts
vuaccordla said:
TeamPacman said:
Just heard this from a friend. Apparently car thieves have yet again found a way around the system and steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go into the local dealership for that car brand and request a duplicate key for it from the VIN number.

Car dealerships make up a duplicate key from the VIN number, collect payment from the 'customer' who's really a would-be car thief for making up the duplicate key -- the car thief goes back to your vehicle, inserts the key they've just gotten and off they drive with your car or truck.

They don't have to break in, don't have to damage the vehicle and draw no attention to themselves as all they have to do is to walk up to your car, insert the key and off they go to their chop shop with your vehicle!!!

Can you believe it?

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put opaque tape (like a strip of electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN label located on the dash board. You can't remove the VIN number legally under most state laws, so cover it so that it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

Anyway, feel free to forward this on before some other car thief steals another car or truck....
pacman is right. I used my business card to put over the vin. everysince i have been telling everyone to do it. Keep in mind that most repair shop can order the key as well. So if you feel uncomfortable with that shop, you may think twice. If the thieves got enough connections all it takes is a few clips of the handheld keymaker.
Thank you NJ, for putting the vin right in the inspection sticker... :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
the new system to defeat thieves in having keys made by just having VIN# is called immobilizer. consist of key with key tumbler and the ecu. the key has a chip in it and when u insert, gives off a signal which the tumbler reads and sends it to the ECU. if there is no signal or the wrong series of # are read, the engine will crank but ECU will not let it run. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
so on a swaped k20 in a 92-95 hatch, how will the immobolizer work or be read even if you have the key? do you have to have the ignition off of the stock car to and wire it up or how does it read it? if people are syaing u can just get a key off the vin...how will the ecu see it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
TeamPacman said:
Just heard this from a friend. Apparently car thieves have yet again found a way around the system and steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go into the local dealership for that car brand and request a duplicate key for it from the VIN number.

Car dealerships make up a duplicate key from the VIN number, collect payment from the 'customer' who's really a would-be car thief for making up the duplicate key -- the car thief goes back to your vehicle, inserts the key they've just gotten and off they drive with your car or truck.

They don't have to break in, don't have to damage the vehicle and draw no attention to themselves as all they have to do is to walk up to your car, insert the key and off they go to their chop shop with your vehicle!!!

Can you believe it?

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put opaque tape (like a strip of electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN label located on the dash board. You can't remove the VIN number legally under most state laws, so cover it so that it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

Anyway, feel free to forward this on before some other car thief steals another car or truck....
Just a heads up. Your post mostly applies to the older cars without immobilizer. The 97+ Preludes, 98+Acuras, and 01+All Hondas have immobilizers. If you cut a key for one of the non-immobilizer cars, yes, it will open the car and start the car. If you cut a key for a car with immobilizer, it will ONLY open the car and not start it. That key has to be programmed by the Honda dealer with the car present in order for it to both open the car AND start it. This is why new Honda/Acura owners can't simply go get a key cut anywhere anymore. It won't start the car.

I work at a Honda dealer, and it is standard practice to check the vehicle registration and a government ID in order to cut keys. When I was in parts, I did turn away people who couldn't provide this information.

I wouldn't completely rely on the immobilizer to protect your car either. Like any theft device, it's not fail-proof. If you care about your car, find some other ways to protect it.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top