Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some conservative examples of timming for above 20psi on race gas. Can anyone share there setups like type of fuel and how much timming at certain high boost levels thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
why would you want to be conservative on race gas??

And it really depends on what gas your using and what your setup is/can flow..

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
was just asking for some examples of what u guys have run with your setups

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
what do you consider high boost?

It all depends on how the whole set up is. You can have it somewhere in the 10-12 degree depending on how much boost and how much fuel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our race car was at 24deg at 26PSI on Q16. Motor seemed to like the timing pretty flat. This was at 13.0:1 AFRs.. I don't remember what it was at 55PSI.. The thing is, while fueling is usually pretty linear as load goes up (with a good flowing setup) timing often isn't. You can start out with a nice linear timing map thats conservative to get your fueling dialed in, but alot of times if you fully tune out the timing map you'll find that timing isn't always very linear. I've had some motors that actually wanted MORE timing at 32PSI than they did at 20PSI. It really depends on the setup and the motor, the reasonances between components, the fuel, the geometry, valve event timing, alot of factors.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Our race car was at 24deg at 26PSI on Q16. Motor seemed to like the timing pretty flat. This was at 13.0:1 AFRs.. I don't remember what it was at 55PSI.. The thing is, while fueling is usually pretty linear as load goes up (with a good flowing setup) timing often isn't. You can start out with a nice linear timing map thats conservative to get your fueling dialed in, but alot of times if you fully tune out the timing map you'll find that timing isn't always very linear. I've had some motors that actually wanted MORE timing at 32PSI than they did at 20PSI. It really depends on the setup and the motor, the reasonances between components, the fuel, the geometry, valve event timing, alot of factors.
Hold on, your a/f ratio is 13.0 in boost? :wow: What motor setup was this done on? k series? :confused: Mine is at 11.5-11.8 in wot... Sometimes it creeps to 12.1 in partial throttle...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yup K series.. This car.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWsXy6qYmQA yeah, most people run super rich, but on high end race gas its not nessisary and you can make alot more power with the leaner mixtures. I was actually gonna run it leaner but we we already having traction issues in 3rd and 4th so I didn't want to make any more power at the time. The new setup will be balls out..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yup K series.. This car.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWsXy6qYmQA yeah, most people run super rich, but on high end race gas its not nessisary and you can make alot more power with the leaner mixtures. I was actually gonna run it leaner but we we already having traction issues in 3rd and 4th so I didn't want to make any more power at the time. The new setup will be balls out..
Good gas is definitely forgiving, and most allow for a wide range of "safe" AFR's under load.

Q16 is a hell of a fuel. Shame its price skyrocketed this year.

- Derek

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i use pump gas and 100 percent methanol with a 14gph nozzle for up to 500whp and 25gph which is two nozzles to 700whp cheap and effective still drivin on the street daily and get 22mpg love the k series will be trying for 700whp on a stock motor k24a1 in about 2 weeks with a gt42 well c if she holds

1 - 12 of 12 Posts