Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help determining if I have a bad brake vaccuum line or not. The line shown as item #5 in this picture has a hard part in the middle of it. I need to determine if that is a one-way valve or something else inside that line.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
blow on each side of it and see if its a one way or not.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake pedal just remains soft. If I slam on the brakes, the car just slowly comes to a stop. In the past it would nearly give you whiplash.

I've bled the brakes about 4 times now and not really any better. Flushed the fluid, same result. No signs of a fluid leak. mc + booster pass the tests shown in the helms.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pedal is nice and hard when I bleed, but as soon as I drive, pedal gets soft. Yes, when I slam on the brakes, pedal goes to the floor. However no signs of fluid leaks, and mc/booster both pass the tests in helms. So according to helms, both should be ok.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
there is an easy way to check that valve. Take the hose off by the booster and take it off by the IM and blow on either end. One way it will not go through. I have a feeling its not your check valve.

If you pump the brake real quick when it goes soft is it ok? Or when it goes the floor, does it come back quick?

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The check valve in the hose connected to the booster is working. I could only blow through one way.

The brake feel doesn't seem to change much if I pump the brakes. And yes, if I push the pedal all of the way to the floor, it pops right back up. It never sinks or gets stuck.

It really feels like somebody replaced my brake pads with sponges.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
The check valve in the hose connected to the booster is working. I could only blow through one way.

The brake feel doesn't seem to change much if I pump the brakes. And yes, if I push the pedal all of the way to the floor, it pops right back up. It never sinks or gets stuck.

It really feels like somebody replaced my brake pads with sponges.
How old are your pads?

I would redo those tests on the brake booster and MC.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pads are less than a year old. Basically problem went like this :

1 - street pads, everything great
2 - bleed & put on track pads + rotors, everything great (4-1/2hr drive to track)
3 - track weekend & brakes don't quite feel right
4 - return home, put street pads back on + bleed. Hasn't felt right since.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I run my street pads for track, so rears haven't been altered. I did install a new set of rear calipers. I swapped my rsx rears for itr rears. However the problem was present before/after the caliper swap. I thought I just needed to bleed more, so went ahead and swapped my calipers since I was going to flush the fluid anyways.

Running stainless lines front/rear. Used new sealing washers when I swapped the calipers. Although I'll poke around more and check again for leaks.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Check out those rear pads as well.

I would recheck for leaks as well. I have a feeling its in those rear pads though.

Being on the track is rough on street pads. I've ran stock oem pads on the track and on a good session pedal goes to the floor and car doesn't stop.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Surface of the pad looked good. No signs of glazing. Also, the surface of the rotor is clean/shiny. So I know the pads have good bite. Car also slows as expected if I pull the e-brake.

I guess I'll make a cup of tea and head in the garage and check out the rears. Now that the new rear calipers have been on for a while, I'll bleed the rears as well.

I have noticed a stripe on my front rotors that *has not* been cleaned off. Which is really making me question the bite on the front rotors.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Inspected and bled rears last night. No signs of leaks. Looks like a little air came out of one caliper.

Brake pedal feels about the same. A hair firmer, but still not grabby like it should be. Rear pads are biting fine. I pulled the e-brake and it slowed the car and even locked up the rears.

The pedal pressure really isn't as hard as it should be. So I'll recheck the booster + mc.

·
Went to the Dark Side
5,173 Posts
what kinda brake lines are you runnin?

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stainless lines. Only 1yr old. No signs of leaks in the rear. I'll re-check the fronts tonight.

Also, when the pedal goes to the floor, it doesn't fall or go limp. Its just soft all of the way through its movement. Not firm at all like the clutch pedal. So I end up pushing the pedal as far as it will go.

·
Went to the Dark Side
5,173 Posts
ok have you checked all the dust covers on the calipers to make sure theres no fluid leakin from them

1 - 20 of 32 Posts