Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
There is a hex cast into the cam core itself which you can use a 23mm or 24mm open end wrench (variances in castings) to keep it steady. You may want to place it in a vise, or have someone help you. Then you should be able to remove the VTC sprocket bolt.

Don't try to break it loose while it's in the head.

-Ron

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I use a vice to to put it on the K2's? I just don't want to damage it. My father and I tried, I held the cam on the ground with a wrench and he had a 1/2" drive with a pipe on it and it wouldn't move, it just sliped off the nut. :(

·
Registered
593 Posts
Try wrapping the cam in a towel, then placing it in a vise. Then also use the open end wrench on the cam hex to oppose the force you'll be imparting with a very long breaker bar on the VTC sprocket bolt.

Otherwise, if that fails - you may need to use an impact wrench just to remove it, but don't use an impact to reinstall the bolt.

-Ron

·
Registered
593 Posts
We usually do one cam at a time, to minimize losing proper cam timing. If you pull the entire cam out along with VTC sprocket and cam pulse plate intact, you can swap them over to the new cam and reinstall pretty quickly.

The above reason applies as well and is good precautionary measure.

-Ron

·
Registered
709 Posts
I know I'm chiming in a little late on this thread but I'll be posting a full cams install on the k-series site soon.

to change the cam gears I have done it a couple ways, electric impact wrench (=super easy), or having a helper hold an adjustable crescent wrench on the hex part of the camshaft while getting the bolt loose with a breaker bar. (this is with the cam on a workbench with a towel or piece of cardboard underneath to protect it.)

I don't like doing it on the head because there's very limited clearance to get a torque wrench in there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine were on there pretty good. We tried a 1/2" breaker bar, 3/8" impact gun, 1/2" impact gun, with the cam in a vice nothing worked. So we had a 2 maybe 3 foot pipe and stuck it on the end of a 3/8" drive, put the pipe on my should and did a full squat. That camshaft must of twisted 20 or 30 degrees before cracked loose. There were two loud ass cracks from it breaking loose. I thought I broke the cam. But either way its off, pain in the ass, but off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.