Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the old hybrid racing mounts, the first set they came out with, where the passenger side rail mount was a huge chunkof alumnum rather than 1 butt welded piece of mild steel like all the newer mounts.
i remember they stopped doing this so you can lay a fillet weld on the mount and chassis to prevent the mount from droping the motor compleltly.

i was saftey wiring random parts for my ducati, and thought maybe this postive lock system can hold the bolts down preventing the mount from backing out/slipping forward?

anybody try this?

i was also going to saftey wire random motor parts that are vital, drain plug etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My daily job involves alot of saftey wire, Saftey wire is usually only needed if that nut or bolt is absoluletly necessary needed not to come out and affect other components and in an end result kill everyone. But working on helicopters is different than a motor vehicle.

Saftey wire on a regular car motor is kinda overkill for any component. Torque everything to specs and youll be fine. For more peice of mind, use loctite or use torque strip on whatever you can.

·
Registered
14,748 Posts
Safety wire isn't going to help that mount. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the mount itself couldn't take the force and was breaking while it was still bolted in place.

Are you racing your Ducati and dependent on class you run safety wire is required.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Are you running the old billet EG mounts?

Safety wire isn't going to help that mount. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the mount itself couldn't take the force and was breaking while it was still bolted in place.
If he is referring to the all billet mount we never had any problems with it breaking. We upgraded for those who wanted to weld it in place, it was cost effective and it was easy to produce in larger quantities.

Either way drop me an email with pics and we can go over it in more detail.

:up:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you running the old billet EG mounts?

If he is referring to the all billet mount we never had any problems with it breaking. We upgraded for those who wanted to weld it in place, it was cost effective and it was easy to produce in larger quantities.

Either way drop me an email with pics and we can go over it in more detail.

:up:
ya, the passenger side rail mount. that bolts to the timing side mount.

from a few years back

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Are you racing your Ducati and dependent on class you run safety wire is required.
nope, the hardware that came with the basket case was pre-drilled so i thought why not, does'nt hurt anything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts