Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Β·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my brother recently bought a 2002 RSX Premium, manual 5speed with some pretty sweet mods (body kit and type s bumper & headlights, new civic type r shifter and boot, exhaust, wired for subs and type s leather interior) He bought it as a winter beater and it has 330,000km on it (original engine and trans)

My Volkswagen golf city recently had its engine seized and I was looking to buy a new car soon and I couldn't help to realize how much cheaper the parts for the RSX are compared to my Volkswagen (what do you expect I guess, its a German car πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ)

I'm really interested in taking it off my brothers hands and rebuilding it, however, the car is old and would need a lot of love and care for it to be a reliable daily driver again, my question is, is it even worth it?

The engine and trans are in fairly good shape, still drives nice, however there are some problems I want to address before anyone gives any advice, here they are:

• Passenger Door lock actuator needs to be replaced
  • Passenger window needs to be realigned
  • Need a new ECU Cover (I don't want passengers kicking the wires as they are exposed)
  • There is rust on the right quarter panel, some on the trunk and on the tips of the hood
  • There is a gaping hole in the floor of the backseats due to rust (Me and my bro riveted two sheets of metal on each side to cover it for now)
  • Need new ABS Sensor
  • Would like to redo the door seals, trunk seals, sunroof seals and tail light gaskets so no water leaks through
  • No Airbags due to seat sensors
  • Needs a new windshield washer pump (cheap)
  • Little exhaust leak due to hitting a bump
  • Would like to eventually replace engine and trans for a lower mileage type s version

My friends recommended me to buy a tsx instead, but i personally like the look and interior of the rsx more which is why I want to rebuild it, I do have some friends who do body work and wouldn't mind giving me a helping hand so I can probably get a decent deal on restoring the body and gaping hole in the floor. As for the other parts, I plan on getting them through rock auto and local part outs.

I think rebuilding it would be fun (and stressful at times) and I want to learn how to work on cars more, my budget is around $5000 Let me know what you think, should I rebuild it or just forget about it and get something else?

Attachments

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
...I think rebuilding it would be fun (and stressful at times) and I want to learn how to work on cars more, my budget is around $5000 Let me know what you think, should I rebuild it or just forget about it and get something else?
Welcome michaelfrnz to K20a.org! If you have the $5000 on hand only for the chassis and your friends are able to help you with the chassis labor I would rebuild it. But not to drive it in Winter anymore, for a summer car. The RSX is so much fun to drive hard. In Winter you must calm your feet too much, therefore just slam a reman VW engine into your Golf and get it Winter ready.

I am not sure what labor in Canada and what reman engine from the VAG company cost, but from here in Germany this would be the most rational solution.

Β·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome michaelfrnz to K20a.org! If you have the $5000 on hand only for the chassis and your friends are able to help you with the chassis labor I would rebuild it. But not to drive it in Winter anymore, for a summer car. The RSX is so much fun to drive hard. In Winter you must calm your feet too much, therefore just slam a reman VW engine into your Golf and get it Winter ready.

I am not sure what labor in Canada and what reman engine from the VAG company cost, but from here in Germany this would be the most rational solution.
Thank you for the advice, I think the chassis is fine but I will take another long look and see if it's in good shape, the previous owner rust sprayed the hell out of the under but since there is a gaping hole due to rust, I should expect more. I do plan on driving it in the winter, the golf I had is already in the scrap yard lol, took as much parts off as possible trying to make my money back. If the chassis is in good shape, I should be fine in the winters as I plan on rust spraying it even more and having it garage parked most of the time.

Β·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
Thank you for the advice, I think the chassis is fine but I will take another long look and see if it's in good shape, the previous owner rust sprayed the hell out of the under but since there is a gaping hole due to rust, I should expect more. I do plan on driving it in the winter, the golf I had is already in the scrap yard lol, took as much parts off as possible trying to make my money back. If the chassis is in good shape, I should be fine in the winters as I plan on rust spraying it even more and having it garage parked most of the time.
You are welcome.
I see hard times coming for your RSX πŸ˜‰. I was born in a mountainous area, we had 6 month of snow regularly, FWD driving in snow is fun with about 60 flwhp in a 740 kg chassis Opel Corsa MK1. It runs through up to 15 cm of snow in steeper tracks where no RWD or heavier FWD was capable of driving it. That was really fun. But 1100 kg and 200 whp won't be that funny...except you are living in a flat spot...LOL :D.

Which Golf chassis and engine was it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts