Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a small preview of the Hasport Honda Challenge motor. It uses all Honda OEM parts. The only free parts are a special HyTech header that was developed especially for this motor. Other than that is all OEM Honda.

Bernardo Martinez drives the car in Honda Challenge. And last weekend at Willow Springs Bernardo was 2 seconds under the track record during morning practice with cool weather. During the race in 100 degree heat he still set a new record. So it motors very well. In fact to well that it has caused a lot of talk of how it came to be so fast.

More about this motor will follow in a magazine article in an up coming issue.

But I can tell you we hit upon a certain combination of parts and exhaust design that made the great power. In fact we amplified the Helmholtz Effect with the combination more than ever before. The end result is just shy of 300 WHP. We have already started on new motor that we should be able to get another 5% out of it with some better anti friction methods.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Keep in mind he said all OEM parts, not all K20 parts. This could be a combination of some crazy OEM stuff, I'm guessing F22/F20/K20/K24 combinations could be in use here.

-Froth

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
Keep in mind he said all OEM parts, not all K20 parts. This could be a combination of some crazy OEM stuff, I'm guessing F22/F20/K20/K24 combinations could be in use here.

-Froth
um. ..no. it is a 99mm stroke otherwise it would not produce 219 dynapack TQ. and by redline still hold 200... and as power peaks around 7700... shows the large stroke making the power early in the powerband.

if he has any less stroke then it would carry the power out longer and also rev a lot higher. but there are no oem combo's with mixmatching cranks.

everyones favorite term is its stock. reffering to the bottom end. even having aftermarket cams. so there's no large enuff oem cam to make that kind of power. unless they cranked up the dynapack readings up!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

-Froth
You have guessed correctly but not as much as you might think. All the parts are off the shelf OEM Honda that anyone can get so, no crazy JDM unobtanimum stuff. The key was using the right combination, which there are many. And the header played a very big roll in finding the power. It has the stock stroke and bore for the K24

It was tuned by Churches and not a lot of time was spent on it. So we figure that the new motor will have the ability for more power. We have gone past what most builders would have ventured into. But that was the key factor, to go far beyond what the norm is and exploring the unknown. In this case it paid off very nicely.

·
Registered
4,294,967,295 Posts
The rules dictate that everything must be OEM except for pan baffles, accusump, headers, radiator cap, and engine management. All they can do is balance/blueprint and bore 1mm over.
Think of all of the best OEM peices from the K-motors; 06 TSX longblock, RBC, 50*VTC....

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
um. ..no. it is a 99mm stroke otherwise it would not produce 219 dynapack TQ. and by redline still hold 200... and as power peaks around 7700... shows the large stroke making the power early in the powerband.

if he has any less stroke then it would carry the power out longer and also rev a lot higher. but there are no oem combo's with mixmatching cranks.

everyones favorite term is its stock. reffering to the bottom end. even having aftermarket cams. so there's no large enuff oem cam to make that kind of power. unless they cranked up the dynapack readings up!
I never said what was used, I'm just guessing what COULD be used. I know it's a K24 because of the torque...that's a no brainer.

There is one OEM combo with a mismatched crank. Modified F22C Crank, granted it would be modified greatly but it is still technically an OEM part. Now, is it an untouched OEM part...No :p

Let me take a guess on the cams though... 06+ TSX Intake and Exhaust? If not that, RSX-R Intake and TSX Exhaust? I know the newer TSX intake cam is more radical than the old one but I'm not 100% sure if it's better than the RSX-R. TSX Exhaust cam however is more radical than any other OEM Honda K-series exhaust cam.

-Froth

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
We have already started on new motor that we should be able to get another 5% out of it with some better anti friction methods.
:rolleyes: I think that is the key statement in the whole post...

very impresive numbers and there is no doubt Bernardo is going to be fast...
I take it this is the motor that is going to be in the car at nationals? Should make things interesting... LoL

Note to self: look up "Helmholtz Effect"...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes, you can use some S2K parts, and this motor probably does.. :) Yes, Church's dynapack reads higher than the rest of the Dynapacks out there, but this motor still makes 270+ at the wheels, not bad for a mixture of OEM parts, and a nice Hytech header/exhaust combo.. If you've got money to burn, and a lot of time to wait, Hytech would probably build you one of these too! :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
There is one OEM combo with a mismatched crank. Modified F22C Crank, granted it would be modified greatly but it is still technically an OEM part. Now, is it an untouched OEM part...No :p

Honda Challenge rule doesn't allow any modification to the rod or crank. For the piston, notching for valve clearance is allowed.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Honda Challenge rule doesn't allow any modification to the rod or crank. For the piston, notching for valve clearance is allowed.
Yeah, I know. That why I said what I said the way I said it. :silly:

-Froth

1 - 20 of 241 Posts