Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

HR Aircraft Bearing Shift Knob

12K views 77 replies 26 participants last post by  Captain Destructo 
#1 ·
Introducing the Hybrid-Racing weighted shift knob. This shift knob weighs approximately 425 grams. That's more than 3x the weight of an equivalently sized 6061 aluminum knob and nearly 2x as much as an equivalently sized titanium knob. These knobs start out as a 1.875" aircraft grade ball bearing made from E52100 Alloy Steel. These aircraft bearings have a diameter tolerance of plus or minus two ten thousands of an inch. The shiny appearance you see on the outside of the knob is not chrome plating. E52100 Alloy Steel is also known as "chrome steel" and has such a high chromium content that it has this same appearance through its entire thickness. The metal is so hard (RWC60) that it can not be threaded, so we have to drill out the bearing and press in a threaded stainless steel rod. Finally, the knob receives a high polish and is laser engraved with the "hr" logo and "Hybrid-Racing" text.

We ran this knob in our s2k for a while and as Will said, "it's like the car is shifting itself." Shifting becomes almost effortless when you upgrade to this from a lighter knob. We considered going with a 2" ball, but that would increase the weight by nearly 25% and we felt that was beginning to get excessive as the 1 7/8" knob is already heavy enough to be considered a deadly weapon. :up:

Shown here is the prototype. We are currently having a run of twenty of these made, and we will most likely make these a limited edition product (so get them while they're hot!). These will be priced at $79.99 and will be supplied with a chrome binding nut.

peace,
russ

See less See more
#5 ·
And even better on a hot day, you can have hr branded into your hand.
It's not so bad when you realize that branding our logo into your hand is cheaper than having it tattooed on your forehead. :silly:

very nice HR, let us know when they are ready to sell.
Sure thing.

It's nice. Cant deny that.
Thanks, it took quite a while to arrange to have these made. Most machinists we work with won't touch that alloy with a 20' pole because it destroys drill bits. Comments like that make the extra effort worth while.

~russ

#7 ·
lmao that was same thought came into my head what happens if the car is in 100+ degree weather for 3+hrs? Ouch.....now only if they could make one weighted and heat resistant I would buy one in a second.

#10 ·
meh.

i had this problem with the stock itr knobs in my old gsr.
i would just cover it with a beanie and it was usually tolerable. if not i kept the beanie on top while shifting.

to lazy and cheap to use or buy a glove for shifting, so a beanie worked great for both heat and also served as an anti theft device by hiding the geniune knob

#8 ·
These knobs definitely aren't for everyone. That's why we're only doing a small run of them. We mainly just wanted to throw some of them in our track cars, and we figured we'd make them available to everyone at k20a.org as well.

peace,
russ

#19 ·
I'll take one of these as well... Will you should have my info already if not let me know and I'll send it back over...

are these already ready or you still workin on them? ETA?

#26 ·
Also, if anyone needs a knob threaded to fit something other than honda's standard shift knob thread (M10x1.5), PM me and we can have it made for you along with the other shift knobs. Of course, on custom thread sizes, we'd require a full deposit.

peace,
russ

#31 ·
1. ImportRacer2123
2. becoming
3. Erik Loza
4. Jon V
5. kID
6. EGhatchNJ
7. jchetty

Anyone who hasn't given us their name, address, and phone number, please PM that info to Will ( screen name: hybrid racing) .

peace,
russ

Progress Update: All of the machining on the knobs has been done. They should be sent out to the laser etcher today or monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.