Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
So even though the a3 is a 2 lobe intake only vtec system the oil passage is still there for the exhaust side?
No. because it there is no vtec on the exhaust side so the rocker shaft is made accordingly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No. because it there is no vtec on the exhaust side so the rocker shaft is made accordingly.
Therefore even installing an a2 rocker shaft with a2 rockers and pins switched on the exhaust side vtec still won't work for that side. Which it would be better if I ran a3 rockers n run a killer setup on the exhaust side only.

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
Therefore even installing an a2 rocker shaft with a2 rockers and pins switched on the exhaust side vtec still won't work for that side. Which it would be better if I ran a3 rockers n run a killer setup on the exhaust side only.
Incorrect.. This thread is expecting you to swap the entire rocker assembly from a K20a2. Rockers, shafts, cam caps and cam holders. It is extremely hard and expensive to piece together 8 K20a2 rockers. You were referring to A3 rocker shafts in your last post. I am talking about a complete K20a2 rocker assembly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Incorrect.. This thread is expecting you to swap the entire rocker assembly from a K20a2. Rockers, shafts, cam caps and cam holders. It is extremely hard and expensive to piece together 8 K20a2 rockers. You were referring to A3 rocker shafts in your last post. I am talking about a complete K20a2 rocker assembly.
Lol every post I have said I put a2 cams, rockers and shafts in my a3 head.

I have been running it for over 2 months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Then you have VTEC on the IN and EX side of the head.
Alright thanks for clarifying it for me before I started taking apart my head to do a test lol.

Just when I thought about how the a3 works stock it was making my think in theory why would it work. But I guess it does.

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
This thread also only talks/shows the intake side. There is no reference for the exhaust side.
That is because the one set of directions applies to all rockers. Both intake and exhaust. Remember you didn't just add a set of Type S rockers to the intake side.. You changed the complete rocker assembly. So the instructions given from the OP applied to ALL rockers. Sorry if that wan't clear.
Then you have VTEC on the IN and EX side of the head.
Which is why I quoted earlier..
drhonda said:
When vtec is engaged by the solenoid it locks all three rockers together the same way the factory does and you have a regular working vtec.
I thought this part was a little self explanatory... lol.. My apologies..

·
Registered
938 Posts
Alright thanks for clarifying it for me before I started taking apart my head to do a test lol.

Just when I thought about how the a3 works stock it was making my think in theory why would it work. But I guess it does.
No worries. :up:

I like a definite yes or no when im doing things too. Thats why i clarified a few things that i read in this thread that could be misleading. All it takes is one swap of terminology between parts and you can have confusion and a busted engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Okey so i been doing research and reading on this but i seen poeple on do it this way that was stated.So i decided to find another way that no one has ever done from me looking and reading.

What i done is keep the original roller rocker one my k24a4. Got a set of type S cams and i personally modded the cams to work on the head with out swaping out the accord rockers. meaning i only fab the cams to work on the head. After i did all this work i took it to get dyno and i made from just swaping the cams and i state ONLY SWAPING THE CAMS i made 215hp/172tq on a accord motor. Could make more power if i use the type S vtc cam and bigger injectors. Please note i did all this on my daily driven car and to show people that this little upgrade dose work but i did it my way.Please if you don't know how to do any fab work then don't try it. I do alot of fabricating on my own and i do plenty of research if there nothing on what im looking for then i still go for it and i make it happen. I was the only one in my area with h2b with power steering so if i know it can be done then imma make it happen. that what i like to do. Hopefully this can help some one

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
Okey so i been doing research and reading on this but i seen poeple on do it this way that was stated.So i decided to find another way that no one has ever done from me looking and reading.

What i done is keep the original roller rocker one my k24a4. Got a set of type S cams and i personally modded the cams to work on the head with out swaping out the accord rockers. meaning i only fab the cams to work on the head. After i did all this work i took it to get dyno and i made from just swaping the cams and i state ONLY SWAPING THE CAMS i made 215hp/172tq on a accord motor. Could make more power if i use the type S vtc cam and bigger injectors. Please note i did all this on my daily driven car and to show people that this little upgrade dose work but i did it my way.Please if you don't know how to do any fab work then don't try it. I do alot of fabricating on my own and i do plenty of research if there nothing on what im looking for then i still go for it and i make it happen. I was the only one in my area with h2b with power steering so if i know it can be done then imma make it happen. that what i like to do. Hopefully this can help some one

The OP's way provides regular working Vtec for those converting.... Your way makes it Vtec all day every day, low rpm, high rpm. It's what most race cars use in their setup. Also it has been done for a very long time now(your way)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The OP's way provides regular working Vtec for those converting.... Your way makes it Vtec all day every day, low rpm, high rpm. It's what most race cars use in their setup. Also it has been done for a very long time now(your way)
you can put it that way but it's not on vtec all day. on the intake cam it ride's on both lobes when the vtec engage it lock both rockers together then it rides on the vtec lobes. Plus when i got my car tune the vtec engage at around 4 thousand rpm so im not alway in vtec. Just on one vale on the intake cam the ride's on the vtec lobe and the other ride on the smaller lobe. But i understand why you said that im on vtec all the time cause of the one lobe always ride on one vale only but when vtec engage then it locks the rockers causing that vtec effect that works just like vtec but only on the intake side. And if this been done why i cant find anything that state it been done cause i been google and going on forums and all i find it vtec killer setup this was the only forum i found that had some good info.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What would be the most beneficial (OEM) cams/rockers hp wise for a k24a1 when doing vtec killer setup? Anyone knows?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would it make a difference if I have installed k20a2 rocker and cams into my 05 k20a3 instead of the k20z1 rockers and cams?

I know the 05-06 K20z1 had slightly more aggressive cams but I am not sure if I should have stuck with the same model year rockers and cams...

I have done the build in my 05 base rsx but I have been having problems with tuning. I have been through 2 good tuners in my area but both havent gotten my car running properly....

I still get 20mpg
only 180whp with full bolt ons...
My car shakes hard when in gear at lower 2k rpms

My tuner says that something is wrong with the car and that I should get a compression test and leak down test done...

181 - 200 of 228 Posts